Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake Work Needed

Jimmy Ten Toes

I need to change my front and rear pads and rear disks.

Lexus want £600 to supply and fit the parts!

So I decided to get Mintex replacement OE pads and rear disks for £150 and will fit them myself.

Have replaced front pads before but never rear pads or disks, is there anything that I need to bear in mind? My Dad will be helping and he knows a bit, but best to be prepared :winky:

I will be doing them next Sunday.

Replacing discs on a 4 year old car!?!?!? I should co-co!

You're being ripped. I'd check whether the discs need replacing at all. Remember Haynes don't do a Lexus manual and the garages know this!

The GS seems to be heavy on front discs. My old GS had all four discs replaced after 3 years and my 430 had new fronts after 2 years. Now I'm not sure if they actually needing replacing as they were all replaced before I became the owner but several other owners have also replaced discs. They are also prone to warping if the correct wheel nut torque is not used.

Replacing discs on a 4 year old car!?!?!? I should co-co!

You're being ripped. I'd check whether the discs need replacing at all. Remember Haynes don't do a Lexus manual and the garages know this!

They do need replacing as the pads have worn down to nothing and damaged them. :o

But does anyone have any advice about changing them, any issues?

They do need replacing as the pads have worn down to nothing and damaged them. :o

WHAT! No sensors.

There's GrandAlf who seems to have had the same problem on his LS430. The sensors should detect a fault before the pads start chewing up your discs. Failing that the service guys should warn you if your pads are getting close to being nothing but metal.

I'm having some brake problems with my GS and driving me nuts! I thought I had this fixed and now the problem is back! Every time I brake, my car vibrates! Unbelievable! I am taking it to my mechanic tomorrow. I'm fearful that my rotors are warped! Anyone had problems with their GS like mine? This is my only complaint to my beloved car...so reliable...with 103,000 miles it has never needed anything but oil changes...guess I'm just spoiled now that my brakes are freaking out!

Its an easy job to do,anyone with basic knowledge should'nt take more than a couple of hours.

The one thing to remember is that the discs may need some persuading(taping from behind around the disc)

with a hammer and a piece of wood..............easy peasy.

Good luck

B) B)

Well it goes like this.....

rear brake pads easy enough to do.

The rear disks I was supplied with by Mintex were the wrong ones! but the disks came off as easy as anything, no persuasion at all was needed. It turns out that the Lexus OEM rear disks are cheaper than the correct Mintex part so I am fitting them this Sunday (1/2 hour max)

Front brake pads are easy if you can undo the bolts that hold the calliper on, mine were an absolute bugger to get off!! Didn't change front disks but they are dead easy when you get the calliper off!

But all in all, 1 broken thumb and a few hours work has saved me £400. :winky:

Sorry to Hijack thread but I can sympathise with Jennifer, my car vibrates/shakes when I break ... the harder I press on the pedal then the more violent it shakes (though not under 40mph ?). Easy - new brakes and discs I hear you say but get this - I changed new discs and pads all round under 1k ago !!! The front discs were warped and needed new pads and everything was ok for the first few hundred miles then the vibration hit with a vengeance and now I don't even want to drive the car, settling for my 14 year old Peugeot instead !!! :ohmy::blush:

The discs and pads weren't Lexus originals but OEM German stuff from a local motor factors - anybody recommend something decent instead ?

Can anyone shed some light as to what could be wrong ? (before you ask - yes I did bed them in properley !) :crybaby:

Anybody HEEEEELP !!! :crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Would suggest so wouldn't it ? Dunno for sure as I've not had time to take a proper look at it yet ... if this is the case - anybody suggest decent discs and pads ? I'm not sure Lexua ones are any better judging from some of the threads I have read about them warping ... :whistling:

I posted a thread a while ago regarding brake vibration and how I accidentally found out my problem. I can't find the thread but it was caused by nothing more than a sticky caliper piston. East to fix and probably even more easy to overlook :P

I successfully changed the rear disks yesterday, took about an hour overall, dead easy. I now have Mintex replacement OE pads all round and genuine Lexus replacement rear disks. I can now stop properly!

Murphy's law though....About five minutes after fitting them I was driving home and a young child (about 7 I think) runs out into road in front of me forcing me to stand on the brakes! Not the best way to bed them in!

If he had been any smaller I could have just hit him and saved the brakes but he was just a little too big to avoid front end damage. Seriously though, he was a lucky lad and the brakes still feel fine so happy days :winky:

Another very common cause of warping, particularly on the GS as it's auto, is standing on the brakes and getting the discs very hot then coming to a halt (eg at lights) and keeping your foot on the brake - this doesn't allow air to cool the disc immediately under the pad and can cause a hot spot - which will warp the disc if it's hot enough

I'm using DBA discs which I'm pretty happy with. I've stopped using EBC pads because I think they're too hard and are causing warping - gone back to stock Lexus pads

It's not the caliper sticking - I know, I had to have it replaced before ! Overtightened nuts sounds plausible but creeping to brake ? All I know is that it's costing a fortune what with the tyres/discs and pads. I know it's a big heavy car but this takes the pees ...

Rodders - where id you get the DBA discs from/how much and are they any good ? I forgot to mention that mine's a '95 series 1 Sport so do DBA do them for this vehicle ?

Cheers for any help guys ...