Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

I just wanted to know, is it me, do I need a new pair of glasses or has the value of the beautiful ls430 come down? I've seen some 2003/04 models going for around £3500 and in very good condition too, but the lovely ls400 mk4 value going up.

If aficionados have been reading this forum and the uncertainty of some upgraded features of a 430,including the change from stainless steel to mild steel exhausts and other costly potential issues . then it really shouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

With most other marques, a 10 year old car isn't far off scrap anyway !!...... let alone a 20 year old, but when it gets to 25, like the very early Ls400s, well, they might just become collectable.

The 400 seems enduring maybe.

Malc

I wanted a Mk3/4 400 or an early 430. The many upgrades definitely made the 430 a nicer place to be.

But the number of gadgets that didn't work properly or at all on the LS430s I saw was surprising. A sign of neglect I suppose. So I quickly switched focus to the Mk4 LS400.

yes they value of the 430 has dropped and alot of them are not very good examples - some of them have been standing for months and particulalry one i know has been there over 2 years!!!

i recently noticed there are alot of LPG converted with 150K+ miles but there doesnt seem to be that urgency to snap them up quickly.

To make mine sellable (if and when i decide to sell it) im making sure i get mine serviced on time and keep all the reciepts.

Mot's, receipts, anything that shows work done is a huge bonus on selling any car on, it really does help to hold the price as it obviously shows care has been lavished.

I have a receipt for a tail light bulb, it's in the ls430 folder along with other stuff such as wheel alignment, aircon regass etc.

All helps to beat the not so fortunate cars with poor attitude ownership.

• Like 1

If you're not a motor trader then the value of any car depends on only one thing.

If you are selling, then you will notice how much the value has dropped .

If you are buying, then you will notice how much the value has risen.

This rule generally applies to all makes and models.

Another rule which generally applies relates to the timing. It is always better to buy/sell a car, Yesterday or Tomorrow.

• Like 3

I cannot see these cars values remaining so criminally low for much longer...even a really nice ls400 is lucky to see 2k, ls430s will, I think, sink lower and lower as on these shores they are a Japanese oddity....the 400 is heading for semi classic status within next ten years I'd say....so, get me while they're hot....buy now or repent at leisure...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have certainly noticed that the value of not-so-well-looked-after LS430s have dropped to the floor as potential buyers are scared off by the potential costs to rectify.

My recent purchase was at close to trade price on 2003 '53' car with only 45k miles. Very few signs of age and even fewer signs of wear & tear.

Here's to hoping this is as good an ownership proposition as my previous LS400 which I kept for 13 years and 225,000 miles - the new owner still keeps in touch with me and he's still very pleased with the car.

I prefer my 430 to previous 400's ive owned thou i loved the 400.

I find there's alot of lexus owners that drag the 430 down.

I bought mine with a few minor faults well one fault there was a drumming noise from air pump some owners on here were saying oh no your pumps on its way out and then your air bags will fail ect ect. It cost me £30 fix.same with subwoofer, oh no you need new subwoofer or get it reconed.£2.00 fix. A car is as good as its been treated. Phil

I agree Phil that any car needs to be looked after properly but these forums are great as other owners invariably talk about issues which they've had

Despite some of my concerns, particularly with the air suspension, I have still taken what I think is a good punt on a used LS430 - I would be very disappointed given my experience with the LS400 if I cannot get my car in 100% full working order.

Like you, I generally ignore some posts where owners talk down things no matter what.

I prefer my 430 to previous 400's ive owned thou i loved the 400.

I find there's alot of lexus owners that drag the 430 down.

I bought mine with a few minor faults well one fault there was a drumming noise from air pump some owners on here were saying oh no your pumps on its way out and then your air bags will fail ect ect. It cost me £30 fix.same with subwoofer, oh no you need new subwoofer or get it reconed.£2.00 fix. A car is as good as its been treated. Phil

Good post, lets stop running the LS430 down, it's a fab car!

If your 430 develops a fault dig abit deeper and you will probably find it will be a cheap easy fix on most prob's there a very good car as good if not better than the 400 the spec is brilliant couldn't ask for more.regarding stainless steel box ect its a small sacrifice'. Not had mine changed still good original box not bad for a 13yr old car. When and if i need back box you can get them for around 300-400 made and fitted.

As I've said more than once on this forum, albeit as a very recent purchaser of a ten-year old 430, I am a convert to the notion that it pays to own a quality car, built to last, and the 430 is a good example. I've been lucky to find an example in very good nick and with full history, and although fuel costs call for careful driving I have little doubt that I shall win on total ownership costs.

As I said when I made my contribution earlier in this thread the critisicm of the 430 was personal and based on my experience with the 400 and an extensive research period when a replacement was required for my 1990 Mark1.

I don't think the( Lexus owners) run the 430 down just because it is the 430 and comparisons with the the 400 bring up several faults that are not inherent in the 400 it is simply as a result of owners experiences with the 430 that have been aired on this forum .

I believe the 430 was a rushed step too far on the 400 series because the 460 was not as near as Lexus had hoped and they were caught out on the rushed additions that were not tried and tested.

These additions were all the things that have turned out to be faults that are not to be found in the Mark IV 400 simply because they were not there.

I road tested the 430 and as members have pointed out it is an improved cabin but I found the ride harsher than the 400 even with the air suspension and there was more road noise.

If you have been used too a car that apart from the consumables and known faults for 16 years, a dive into unknown waters with issues that could become very expensive is not someting I wanted to do, so I stuck with the tried and tested version and chose the 400. I also realize that potential owners who are looking for guidance may not have experienced the joys of either model so my advice is strictly based on personal preference and not a put down of something I chose not to acquire.

As I said when I made my contribution earlier in this thread the critisicm of the 430 was personal and based on my experience with the 400 and an extensive research period when a replacement was required for my 1990 Mark1.

I don't think the( Lexus owners) run the 430 down just because it is the 430 and comparisons with the the 400 bring up several faults that are not inherent in the 400 it is simply as a result of owners experiences with the 430 that have been aired on this forum .

I believe the 430 was a rushed step too far on the 400 series because the 460 was not as near as Lexus had hoped and they were caught out on the rushed additions that were not tried and tested.

These additions were all the things that have turned out to be faults that are not to be found in the Mark IV 400 simply because they were not there.

I road tested the 430 and as members have pointed out it is an improved cabin but I found the ride harsher than the 400 even with the air suspension and there was more road noise.

If you have been used too a car that apart from the consumables and known faults for 16 years, a dive into unknown waters with issues that could become very expensive is not someting I wanted to do, so I stuck with the tried and tested version and chose the 400. I also realize that potential owners who are looking for guidance may not have experienced the joys of either model so my advice is strictly based on personal preference and not a put down of something I chose not to acquire.

I have been in a few 400's and they are good, have owned one.

You need to get into my 430, it is quieter than any 400 I have been in and the ride is equally as good.

Given the choice, I would take a looked after 430 over a looked after 400.

Lexus cars are like any other brand, get one that has been looked after and you should be ok, buy a not so looked after one and you can start getting the cheque book out. The biggest problem is that when a Lexus starts having a hissy fit then the cheques are normally requiring a few more zero's on them.

If we were to be totally honest then all the Lexus series could be a bit better in some ways, this is why models change, they get feedback and look into it, all manufacturers do this, some do it well and some don't give a crap, like Fiat and the wifes car, useless pustule on the arse of society that brand is and the dealerships, but that's another story.

When buying any car you need to research the car, and ask what you want it for, how will you use it, park it etc then look at a forum like this, check out possible issues, then find a well looked after one. I was very lucky with my 430 and also the 400 I had, both were well looked after and did me and the Lexus brand proud, some of you have not had similar luck as posts on the forum suggest.

The fact of human nature is we always remember a bad thing and talk about it, we seldom remember good things and share those, check the posts on this forum, they contain a majority of things where problems have occurred, not as many good things, that's the nature of a forum such as ours, I must admit that our forum is by far the best I have been involved with and long may that continue.

Of course this is my personal view, some may agree and some of you won't

Here's a funny thing....iv owned loads of fiats, from 750 fiat panda, thru twin cam 132, turbo diesel mk1 punto, various UNOs, a brace of 127s, and a brace of cinquecento sportings, which I LOVED..and lastly, my favourite car up till the ls, a gorgeous turbo coupe....and NONE of the, gave me moments trouble....

I concur with what you say though, all of the above were bought with an eye on provenance and I always I buy from owners, not dealers, so you can see who has owned the car and gauge their enthusiasm for them....the old fella I bought the ls from shed a wee tear when it went....he did have a 430 on the drive but I think I got the better deal....

Don't get me wrong, I have never owned a 430, so,shouldn't comment, but of I was to make a judgement on aesthetics, and I know many won't agree, I actually think the ls400 is a beautiful bit of design...it may be a traditional saloon car, but it's proportions are spot on...and its integrity makes it seem even more attractive....I see 430s in dundee and just think the older car is better proportioned and more aesthetically pleasing to my eye anyway...which one is BETTER I can't comment on, all I know is it would have to be something very special to beat the 400 as an ownership proposition...

I do have to agree, I think the 400 is a better looking car than the 430 and also the 460, the comfort level inside is for me better on the 430. I don't think the drive is any different, both when running right are very smooth.

Forget the toys, if you buy a car for just the toys then you need help medically, some of the toys are helpful, some make you say 'is there a need' such as the self closing doors and boot, no need, I can close a car door gently enough without slamming it to make it open into the cabin, and it would save a fair bit of weight with the motors and control units, plus save on the electrical side, but hey ho it's there so I use it.

I do have to agree, I think the 400 is a better looking car than the 430 and also the 460, the comfort level inside is for me better on the 430. I don't think the drive is any different, both when running right are very smooth.

Forget the toys, if you buy a car for just the toys then you need help medically, some of the toys are helpful, some make you say 'is there a need' such as the self closing doors and boot, no need, I can close a car door gently enough without slamming it to make it open into the cabin, and it would save a fair bit of weight with the motors and control units, plus save on the electrical side, but hey ho it's there so I use it.

What! Self closing doors are de rigueur, it's my most missed feature since I sold the BM

I wish my mk4 had the LS430 cabin. That is one upgrade that Lexus got spot on.

Couldn't agree more. The LS400, although a big car, never felt to me like a really big car from the cabin, whereas the LS430 feels like a tour guide would be useful! Although I think in any car light interior materials give a feeling of space, and my last two were black.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links