Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1998 Rear Window Defogger Not Working - Help With Access To C Pillar W

Hi Folks

My rear demister / defogger doesn't work (the only thing that doesn't on this fab car).

The relay is clearly clicking, the rear screen "wires" look fine but is doesn't work which is more of a problem than Imagined and needs to be fixed.

I now want to test the continuity of the wiring but this is I think located behind the O/S C Pillar. Does anyone have any experience of how to remove this without damaging the trim / breaking clips etc? I've seen generic stuff but nothing specific to a 1998 LS?

In passing the detail on these cars is fantastic but so much of it is not in the manual i.e. I discovered today that when you put it into reverse the n/s side mirror lowers but only if the mirror selector is pointed towards the n/s mirror. Or some weeks ago when the brake check light came on and it was simply a brake light bulb - not in the manual. Thank goodness for the forum.

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

The access to the wiring on this rear windscreen requires the removal of the near side rear Garnish on the Mark 1, I know this because I dismantled one.

The only difference on the 1998 is an extra light set in above the door.

The courtesy lights are all screwed in and they have to be taken out, the strap hanger as to be unscrewed the rear parcel shelf as to be loosened so the garnish can be pulled outwards to the centre of the car.The garnish itself is then clipped in place and requires care when removing or you can break the clips.

It is a protracted way of getting at the wires it might be better to try from earlier down the line for continuity or it may also possible that the wires come in on the cill loom and are accessible from under the parcel shelf. access to that area is by removing the panel that covers the forward bulkhead in the boot.

Thanks for this - very helpful.

The point about continuity earlier in the loom makes sense but I want to check these wires in particular - someone in the past tinted the rear window very professionally but I wonder whether the wiring was disturbed. There are cases of this happening on other forums.

Will proceed with caution re: the clips!

Cheers

Nick

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links