Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have only one key for my Mk 1 GS, and I`ve already nearly lost it twice.

It will manually unlock the doors/boot and the ignition of course; and it has a small button on the edge which will remotely lock and unlock the doors

I really need at least a similar key as a spare, so how do I go about obtaining one?

Were 3 keys supplied when the car was new? Were they all the same?

Thanks for any info.

What year is yours? I think my mk1 had a separate alarm fob from the key. The key had a transponder in it for the immobiliser. They did have different keys, one of which was a valet key that would not unlock the glovebox or boot (including the release inside the car if the button had been pressed in). Things are a little hazy as it has been a while since I had mine. If you have the master key (the black one) I think a transponder key can be programmed from it. Maybe the last mk1 had a different key/fob arrangement.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

Thanks again Rick,

My GS is a `95er The key I have is indeed black, so that must be the original master. I an not bothered about a valet key, although I do understand where they could be usefull.

I`d be happy with a 2nd key identical to the one I already have.

Don`t really want to go to Lexus yet. I`ll contact some of these eBay key adverts and see what I can glean.

I have a '95 GS300, and have the same issue, of only having 1 key.

Lexus Exeter say there is a transponder and want to charge silly money to programme any new key.

Although I have had another locksmith look at it, and test it with a transponder detector and he says there is no transponder.

Have also checked the American site, where they say the transponders weren't fitted until '96.

Have hunted high and low to find a replacement key with 1 button, to no avail.

Let me know if you find one.

Please note the keys were made in 2 different lengths. You will discover that causes a problem.

Ah, mine was a '96, so the later cars had separate keys and fobs. I'd assumed a combined unit would be a step forward from separates. In that case, Maybe the early setup didn't have transponder keys then. May be worth getting a non transponder blank cut and see if it still fires the old girl up.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I have a '95 GS300, and have the same issue, of only having 1 key.

Lexus Exeter say there is a transponder and want to charge silly money to programme any new key.

Although I have had another locksmith look at it, and test it with a transponder detector and he says there is no transponder.

Have also checked the American site, where they say the transponders weren't fitted until '96.

Have hunted high and low to find a replacement key with 1 button, to no avail.

Let me know if you find one.

Please note the keys were made in 2 different lengths. You will discover that causes a problem.

Looks like we`re both in the middin. Not really surprised about the Lexus Exeter comment.

There`s a guy in Huddersfield who reckons he can sort any blankcutting/programming Lexus key problem. Sounds like he has some hi-tech gear. I`ll see what he says.

• 3 months later...

post-48917-0-92853400-1417383470_thumb.jpost-48917-0-30020900-1417383478_thumb.jpost-48917-0-10619100-1417383486_thumb.jUpdate,

(a) Keys; the guy in Huddersfield could only obtain from Lexus, so I bought a blank (long one) off fleabay, and had a local locksmith

laser cut it. it will manually lock/unlock the doors, and the ignition. ( £2+ and £10 cutting)

( B) Boot gas struts; Posted them off to SGS, and they re-gassed them. Quick turnaround. (£29+VAT)

© Failing instrument needles, Pulled out the instrument binnacle one weekend, and extracted the Tacho needle. Tested it with

9 volts and no response. On the underside, in a groove must be 30+ very small LEDs each with a couple of minute tags. see

pic. I suspected a very fine wire down each side had connected these tags originally and had since disintigrated. Tried using

electricity conducting paint instead, but no joy.

Threw in the towel and replaced the entire binnacle with one from a breaker with good needles and with as luck had it, with as

near as damit the same mileage. ( Fuel content needles must match before swopping )

Still to do; Rear O/S door. Lock/unlock inop, window inop but I can hear motor whirring. Good car, used daily.

On a start up from cold, engine idles straightaway at about 12/13 hundred revs until it warms, then slowly drops down to about 6/7 hundred. I presume this is correct, but would like to decrease this to about 1000 rpm if poss. Any ideas?

Roald.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links