Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie Looking At Is-F

Hi Guys,

Just thought I would introduce myself as I am hoping to join this very exclusive IS-F club.

just a little bit about myself, I am currently looking for an IS-F. I am in no rush and willing to wait for the right car. I currently drive a mk4 R32 and have done since 2008. Its the longest I have ever kept a car!! It has been reliable, only broke down on me twice; once the fuel pump and second time the fan belt snapped. Other than that it's been brilliant.

I am 36 years old and now I believe too old to be honing around in a 'boy racers' car! well so I have been told by the wife!!! So the journey started in looking to upgrade. Been down the usual route, as no doubt some of you will have been, M3, M5, C63 etc. However, when reading all the problems these cars have has really put me off. I need a reliable fast car that will be used as a DD.

When reading up on M3 etc I never really gave the IS-F a thought, however, I stumbled upon this forum. I then started reading into the IS-F and OMG what a beauty!!!! I could not believe what a machine it is and to top it off so reliable not to mention very very rare and discrete!! Basically ticks all the boxes for me.

I have looked at the one on sale at the moment, there are only two in the Lexus dealer network, one with Toyota in Rochdale. There is one at a private trader in Herts (grey one) I have not mentioned the dealers name as I am not sure of the rules of this forum as yet, then there is the infamous white one!!! and the red one with high miles.

Having a read of the previous posts, it does seem prices have creped up on the IS-F. Which to be honest I am not surprised.

As I said I am in no rush and willing to wait for the right car. I do like the grey one though. Do any of you guys know that car?

I apologise for the long post and I am very much looking forward to joining you guys in owning what I can only describe as a phenomenal car!!!

Sully

Welcome to the forum and well done for staying clear of the white f!

I like and and many others came to the same conclusion having looked at all the competition. There is nothing as good as the isf in its market segment for performance, reliability, spec and rarity. It's an incredible motor.

I don't know the grey one you are referring to but it is worth waiting for the right car.

Any mods planned when you eventually buy one?

Stu

Well I would love the H&S but I am not sure my elderly neighbours would be so keen. Lol. I live in a very quiet cul de sac and the noise from my current car just bounces off the houses. I do get funny looks off them at times.

Although I am sure I read somewhere that it is quiet when keeping revs below 3600. Is that true?

It is loud on cold start up and a nice burble at idle one warmed up and after initial high idle on start up. Can't really hear it at all when cruising but under load it's superb!!! Really brings out the v8 sound.

An intake won't give much if any power but makes the second intake opening up sound superb. It won't annoy the neighbours either :)

Stu

Really looking forward to an IS-F.

Having read most of the previous posts on here there only seem to be a few dealers who get mentioned. Mainly down south. Do you know which dealers are good up north? Leeds?

Are there any IS-F owners on here from the Yorkshire area?

Hi Sully, these cars are bullet proof and rare!

I'd buy from a lexus dealer if you can. The grey one has had LED strips fitted into the front bumper....... Also the only 'conceiveable' extra on these cars is a sunroof, everything else is standard. Also IS F's only have 4 seats!

Good luck with your search

When I spoke to lexus they said exhaust and intake won't effect warranty unless any claim can be linked to those mods as causing the issue. I have had a bit of work under warrant since having mine fitted with no issues.

It's great choice of car.

i've been running mine a year now as my daily driver and even though I do a fair few miles it's comfortable and relaxing to drive, with the ability to pick up its heels and stay with most things when you want to.. i'm definitely going to be hanging onto mine for a while.

There seemed to be a bit of a clear out at Lexus last year when I got mine, there were a number in the dealer network being sold, but now there seem to be a lot fewer about for some reason.

Hello and welcome mate. I was in a very similar position to you and spent hours and hours going over this and the American ISF forum. I couldn't believe what I read - people just weren't having any problems with these cars - not even the thousands of owners in the US. It only took two minutes to see that this was certainly not the case with the RS4, M3, C63 etc.

I'm the type of person who gets bored easily with cars - even stuff like evos, STIs and an NSX - but the ISF has totally stolen my heart and I still love it a year into ownership. It's difficult to describe but it still makes me turn around when I walk away from it (they look much better in the flesh btw) and the overall driving experience is fantastic (whether driving fast or just pottering).

I think these cars will begin to appreciate as they become classics - not least because the F-brand is starting to take off (LFA is among the best cars ever made and the RC-F is looking good too), but mainly because of the exclusivity and reliability.

Anyway, if you can find one go and have a drive and good look with your search.

• Like 1

Hello and welcome mate. I was in a very similar position to you and spent hours and hours going over this and the American ISF forum. I couldn't believe what I read - people just weren't having any problems with these cars - not even the thousands of owners in the US. It only took two minutes to see that this was certainly not the case with the RS4, M3, C63 etc.

I'm the type of person who gets bored easily with cars - even stuff like evos, STIs and an NSX - but the ISF has totally stolen my heart and I still love it a year into ownership. It's difficult to describe but it still makes me turn around when I walk away from it (they look much better in the flesh btw) and the overall driving experience is fantastic (whether driving fast or just pottering).

I think these cars will begin to appreciate as they become classics - not least because the F-brand is starting to take off (LFA is among the best cars ever made and the RC-F is looking good too), but mainly because of the exclusivity and reliability.

Well said Keith..you big softie (I still look round when I walk away from mine. Especially when it's clean)

Well said Keith..you big softie (I still look round when I walk away from mine. Especially when it's clean)

Me to! I even look out my window when working at home to have a sneaky peak. It is such a well designed and proportioned car. Just aggressive looking enough without going in to super low ride, spoilers etc

Me to! I even look out my window when working at home to have a sneaky peak. It is such a well designed and proportioned car. Just aggressive looking enough without going in to super low ride, spoilers etc

Theres a red one at an RRG Toyota dealer not far from me. Ive seen it and its in absolutely mint condition. Id get it for the wife if it had an extra seat! The colour is quite lovely

Lol, mine is rarely dirty as I only use it at weekends....I clay-barred it this weekend too so the shine is especially deep at the moment!

Welcome Sully,

I spent over a year keeping track of prices before finally finding what I wanted at a price that was fair. The wait was worth it and I've had mine now for nearly 4 years.

My original plan was to sell it next Feb or March and go for an RC-F. However I don't think ex-demo RC-Fs will have dropped far enough in price by then. I think I'll also wait to see what the Jaguar XE is like. I drove an F-Type recently and if they drop the supercharged V6 in the XE it could be a hoot. I prefer 4 doors and it looks like a new IS-F may never arrive.

The wild card option is an F-Type Coupe but that would be monumentally impractical. But I can't help looking at them so maybe I need a mid-life crises car.

Good hunting

Thanks for all your replies, much appreciated.

I do like the look of the IS-F especially the way the arches are over the front wheels and the bulge in the bonnet. It is so much better looking that the 4 door M3. I am going to take my time with getting the right car as I intend to keep it for a number of years. Like I said it ticks all the boxes for me. The main colours I am looking for are either Silver or Grey. However, I have never seen a red one in the flesh, come to think of it I have never seen one at all!!. I am going to try and get down to the dealer in Rochdale at some point to have a look if they still have it. I will see if I can get a chance to have a test drive.

Still cant believe how reliable they seem to be!!

Sully

Same happened to me when i started looking for a new car, I started with the typical M3 C63 but in a video I saw an IS-F. Then came the multitude of video reviews on the IS-F and I was hooked.

I never really wanted a german performance car, and if i had not found out about the IS-F i probably would have bought one and spent most of my time at the dealer with the many issues. But I did not and ended up with an IS-F i adore.

It turns heads everywhere

I'm selling mine if your interested?

Sept 2012 car.

13300 miles only

Also got my set of winter tyres for sale, Bridgestone Blizzaks LM32, done approx 500 miles only.

In sizes.

2 X 225 - 40 - 19 Fronts

2 X 255 - 35 - 19 Rears

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links