Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just Picked Up A Ls400

Graham Gardner

Hello, just got back from picking up a, new to us, LS400 1997 is smashing condition, it's got a Full Service History, timing belt and water pump replaced 20k miles ago, is there anything that I should be watching out for?

Initial impressions, boy it's fast and comfy.

Thank you for reading

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Sounds like you have sourced a good example there was it advertised anywhere?

1997 was the change over year from the series III to IV so the chances are you have a late series III as the IV wasn't launched until November 1997.

Feel free to post up pictures so we can all see your purchase.

Anything you should be watching for..... only the fuel gauge they quickly head towards empty all the time :)

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Sounds like you have sourced a good example there was it advertised anywhere?

1997 was the change over year from the series III to IV so the chances are you have a late series III as the IV wasn't launched until November 1997.

Feel free to post up pictures so we can all see your purchase.

Anything you should be watching for..... only the fuel gauge they quickly head towards empty all the time :)

On the 65 mile drive home it registered 30.4 mpg how accurate is it? I was quite pleased TBH

Lovely mate, same colour as mine but yours is a mk4 I think....they ain't bad on fuel for what they are, I don't think....I can get 35 mpg on runs and it has never dropped below 20 mpg even round town....sit back, smile....enjoy...

Welcome from another newbie (also recently installed in a Mk4). Yes, 30mpg on a typical longish run seems to be standard. Even better is you set cruise to about 60mph.

What are the extra widgets by the gear selector and handbrake release: Bluetooth/LPG?

Seem to be some common niggles, but mostly minor: bonnet struts you've already covered, washer fluid level light permanently on (easy fix), boot seals letting in water (same), tilt/telescopic steering wheel adjustment can stop working (a bit expensive), bad capacitors in ECU causing odd running problems (hassle but cheap to fix), and probably a few more that I've not seen mentioned yet.

Welcome from another newbie (also recently installed in a Mk4). Yes, 30mpg on a typical longish run seems to be standard. Even better is you set cruise to about 60mph.

What are the extra widgets by the gear selector and handbrake release: Bluetooth/LPG?

Seem to be some common niggles, but mostly minor: bonnet struts you've already covered, washer fluid level light permanently on (easy fix), boot seals letting in water (same), tilt/telescopic steering wheel adjustment can stop working (a bit expensive), bad capacitors in ECU causing odd running problems (hassle but cheap to fix), and probably a few more that I've not seen mentioned yet.

It's a Parrot Bluetooth phone do dah, the last owner had it put in last year cost him £150, I've not tried it yet

It is a series IV so must be a 97 November/December model.

Don't you love the way the pile on the carpet looks when it's been vacuumed, looks like 80% wool,pure luxury.

I don't think you can buy the OEM carpet mats anymore but there are aftermarket or occasionally some 2nd hand on eBay.

It is a series IV so must be a 97 November/December model.

Don't you love the way the pile on the carpet looks when it's been vacuumed, looks like 80% wool,pure luxury.

I don't think you can buy the OEM carpet mats anymore but there are aftermarket or occasionally some 2nd hand on ebay.

It's got a set of really good quality over mats, I think that they are OEM but I'll have a look in the morning

Welcome, Graham. You got yourself a lovely Mk4. Well done and happy motoring.

Pepe

Thanks Pepe, I took my mum out today, she's 88 and even she said it was a superb car, when I told that I paid 2 grand for it she couldn't believe it, as only last week she paid £2350 for two hearing aids.

A superb, drives like a Limo, Lexus L400, it'll cost you less than an hearing aid LOL

Well done, nice car. I've had two LS400's,and I must say, they have something about them that the LS430 doesn't!

Interesting feedback, Phil. If you are game I'll meet up with you at Dial Post on a nice evening at short notice. Let's keep things simple.

Pepe

Turns out the boot wasn't leaking after all, it just smelt of damp, I've stripped it out, cleaned it and given it a heavy dose of Fabreze, it was bone dry, even after a downpour and a direct hose piping, reading through the receipts the rubber was replaced last year, once less job to do

Congratulations on the new car! Looks lovely. I'm on the lookout for another one although funds are a little depleted due to two watch purchases this week (my other hobby). Still, when the right one comes along I will be ready to purchase it and return to the LS fold!

Congratulations on the new car! Looks lovely. I'm on the lookout for another one although funds are a little depleted due to two watch purchases this week (my other hobby). Still, when the right one comes along I will be ready to purchase it and return to the LS fold!

Wish I'd joined the, secret LS400 club years ago, I could have saved a small fortune, I'm not telling anyone else about the club, that's for sure!

It's hard to explain what these cars give you...I work in quite a volatile workplace and I would say when I get into my ls after a shift, it gives me a feeling of serenity, calmness....it relaxes me....never had a car like that, even the jags iv owned made me feel special in a way no other cars have, but they never gave me this inner serenity....I am writing a little review of the ls that, hopefully explains what I mean and touches on how it is imbued with character but it's a character you won't "get" unless you own one....these are not the anodyne, soulless barges the media made out...

• Like 2

It's hard to explain what these cars give you...I work in quite a volatile workplace and I would say when I get into my ls after a shift, it gives me a feeling of serenity, calmness....it relaxes me....never had a car like that, even the jags iv owned made me feel special in a way no other cars have, but they never gave me this inner serenity....I am writing a little review of the ls that, hopefully explains what I mean and touches on how it is imbued with character but it's a character you won't "get" unless you own one....these are not the anodyne, soulless barges the media made out...

I took my bro in law out in it yesterday, he's a bit of car nut, he was so genuinely impressed by the car but when I told him I much I paid for it, I'm sure he cried

I can't think of another car, with such style and class, for anything like the money paid, to think, I almost bought a S Class Merc, phew! that was a close shave

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links