Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 400 Mk4 - Inhibitor Switch Or Starter Motor Problem

paule

I've just bought a 99' LS 400 with 78k on the clock and full history. Car is extremely good for the year and has obviously been well looked after but after 2 weeks problem free motoring I'm now having intermittent starting problems. After checking the Battery and also ensuring the terminals are clean and tight I considered the starter as I know this is a common problem and have read every single thread on the subject on this site. There is a click when I turn the key but after 'waggling' the gear lever a few times it starts. I'm not sure if it is the inhibitor switch on the box or just a coincidence and it is the starter that's at fault.

Can anyone confirm that you hear a click when the inhibitor switch is at fault. Your help is much appreciated

Hi Paule

I think this could be a Battery on its last legs. Tell me, does the tilting mechanism work properly the minute you insert the key? If it doesn't don't blame the tiling motor, blame a weak Battery.

As a metter of fact this happened to me and the Battery failed during the MOT yesterday. Fortunately a new TOYOTA Battery will be installed tomorrow afternoon.

I hope this helps

Pepe

Hello and welcome to the LOC,

If the inhibitor switch is faulty you will not even get a click from the starter solenoid as the current path for the starter solenoid passes through this on the way.

It could be the Battery but on the series IV there are usually other aditional symptoms.

Does sound like the classic symptoms you have for a starter motor, perhaps the reason the car was sold as it is not an easy job to replace/repair.

I'm guessing you know the cause and that repair kits are available?

Many thanks Pepe and Steve for your swift replies.

I'm almost sure it's not the Battery Pepe as I have tested the Battery and charging system under load with a proprietary tester and both are reading ok. In answer to your question, the steering wheel moves quickly into position every time. The car starts without a problem about 75% of the time and turns over in a manner that would indicate a fully charged Battery.

Today when I got in the car to leave work, the starter quickly jumped into life briefly before stopping. I turned the key immediately for a second time and the car started as it should.

Regarding the click Steve; The sound is same/similar to when the Battery is flat or there is a bad earth (earth connection is sound).

The next time if fails to turnover I will pop the bonnet and get someone to turn the key whilst I listen for any clicks in the vicinity of the starter and let you know my findings.

Steve. I see you are in Derbyshire (I'm in Chesterfield). If the conclusion is a faulty starter, can you recommend a repairer who will do the job correctly for a reasonable price? When I had my GS 430 Sport, I used Lexus Sheffield and although they did a good job, they weren't exactly cheap.

Cheers

Paul.

My worst suspicions were correct. I booked the car into Lexus Sheffield and a week later the car was sorted.

1 x refurbished starter motor (£70) fitted at a cost of just over £600 including the vat. Gary the service manager collected the car from work and delivered it back valeted and with the usual complimentary tin of travel sweets. Fantastic service for which I cannot recommend them highly enough. Gary commented that they had never seen a problem with the inhibitor switch or a relay problem causing the fault. He also advised that due to the amount of work required to get to the starter, it was false economy to just replace the contacts because for the relatively small price difference, you have peace of mind and a 1 year warranty against mechanical and electrical failure of the starter. Unless of course you are carrying out the work for yourself and you have plenty of free time to carry out the arduous task of dismantling and rebuilding everything.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links