Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry Not Been On For A While...occupied With New Hobby.

IHgs300

I have suffered with depression for a while now, My councillor and my dear wife (who suffers ill health herself) came up with a new hobby for me to hopefully help with my depression.

wood turning....Had my old secondhand lathe 2 wks now, here are my first projects.

FB_IMG_1408378652026.jpg

FB_IMG_1408381064441.jpg

20140825_114011.jpg

20140825_151116.jpg

orders now being taken LOL.

Nice one Ian...as a fellow 'woody' I know turning is not as simple as some may think. Occupying the mind is so therapeutic.......keep it up mate.

I've seen depression at first hand with my wife's mother ( who lived with us for 7 yrs and had many set backs) so I am well aware how debilitating it can be. My very best to you and your wife.

"Chin up and keep smiling"....as one of the nurses in Poole used to say.

Your achievements are pretty impressive. Have a mooch around your local area I'm pretty sure that you will find a woodturning club, go along and you will make some new friends and when they have their annual show (most of them have one) you can show off your lovely work and, most likely will make a few bob. These little clubs and their members are always willing to help newcomers with tips etc.

Have a look at this site http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk they have a woodturning section, much more too. The members there are very helpful and you will learn a lot from them. All you need do is register (its free) and just give yourself a username, just like on here.

Good luck to you and your wife captain. Tell you what.......get the good lady interested, there are lots of lady turners around, trouble is, you might not get your lathe back!!!

Hey nice to hear from you again. Sorry to hear about the depression problems I hope you manage to get sorted quickly. The pens are really good. Roll on Christmas you will do a roaring trade. Mike

They are really impressive Ian, I often wondered what you were planning to do with all that 6" x 4" timber, must have been a lot of shavings getting it down to a pen size :)

It was good to see you all the other week, I'll call in again soon.

They are really impressive Ian, I often wondered what you were planning to do with all that 6" x 4" timber, must have been a lot of shavings getting it down to a pen size :)

It was good to see you all the other week, I'll call in again soon.

Cheers mi old mate, they were tree trunk size before i started, 6x4 just a bit too small. You are welcome to call in anytime.

Ian, I have suffered with depression for years so fully understand how hard it can be.

I have a few hobbies which I try and engage with but nothing quite as skillful as your pens/wood turning, very impressed and well done.

Wishing you lasting, brighter days.

Thanks guy's, trying a bowl shortly....

I made one of those at school and I was so proud of it. Made out of Mahogany, was still in the family until my mother died and my brother gave it to the Salvation Army together with other things, havent spoken since. I can still smell the shavings now writing about it. I have always had a thought of getting a wood lathe and starting again.