Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking For A Mk4 / Ls430 !

Hi there

Currently looking for low mileage mk4 or 430. I was initially swaying towards the ls430 for refinement and the stereo but after reading around on here - I wonder if a well kept mk 4 is the best option. It seems as though the newest /lowest mileage 430s go for around 5500-6500 which is just out of my budget. Also for that budget a newer low mileage s500 could be sought.

I have made a wanted thread but would appreciate any opinions on whether to go for a 400 or 430. Ideally want to spend no more than 4k.

I know this question has been asked before many times but I have seen there have been a few new purchases on here so wondered if opinions have changed at all.

Thanks!

PS if anyone is selling their mk4 please let know!

Hi and welcome, I have a MK4 and the stereo in them is amazing. I have a fairly decent hifi indoors and the one in the LS is equally as good. It amazes every one that hears it.

Good luck with your search. Mike

In the long run, I think the concensus is that a really good well cared for LS400 Mk4 should give you slightly less problems than an LS430 would, e.g. air suspension, exhaust back boxes. (I hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here !) An old S class is nice, but will prove more unreliable than either Lexus, that's for sure.

The Mark 4 is renowned as the best car ever produced in the 400 range from an all points considered concensus.The 430 fell out of my wanted list when considering a replacement for my 1990 Mark1 owned by myself for 16 years.

I was fortunate in finding a 98 18k miler mark 4 in mint condition and after two years of ownership it is still as good as the day it left the factory.With eighteen years of ls400 experience I can vouch for the Mark 4 credentials.

From a price point of view you are likely to pay as much for a car like mine as you would an early ls400 but without the doubts the ls430 might instill .

The faults that the ls430 as been guilty of are well broadcast on this forum and my opinion is not a slight against the owners of them ,many of which have found to thier dismay after the purchase of the car.

• Like 1

I owned an LS400 for over 13 years and it still is without question, the best vehicle I have ever owned. So reliable, so luxurious and just so easy to own and painless to run.

Insurance and servicing costs reasonable and most Lexus dealers happy to give you favourable prices on parts and labour on older vehicles.

The LS430 is definitely a big step up in terms of equipment, specification and overall performance.

I now own the Mk 2 version of the LS430 which has the 6 speed automatic gearbox with kickdown facility, reversing camera and the 5 spoke alloys - the Mk1 is still an amazing car but the Mk 2 version is the one to go for.

Depending on age, mileage, colours and condition I have seen LS430s (Mk1 and Mk 2 versions) selling for between £2k and £8k

My one is very unusual as it's only done 45k miles and it's in mint condition.

However, as has been mentioned in the past, it's mostly only the problems that we read about on forums, but it's not representative of the car. I'm of the mind that if I pay around 3K and I get two years of luxury motoring without any real issues, then it's money well spent, even if it all goes wrong after that, but any longer is a bonus. If I paid many thousands, it would of course be a different story.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies.

The ideal would be a mk2 LS430 but I think that will be out of budget for me.

So I think I will be on the look out for a low mileage mk4 (ideally owned by an enthusiast). Are there any differences between a 98 mk4 and 2000 mk4?

Now I just need to find one!

The only differences I know of between a 98 Mk IV and 2000 Mk IV LS400 are that the 2000 model comes with parking sensors and electrically folding mirrors as standard.

It's easy enough to get parking sensors retro-fitted by a number of after-market suppliers. The electrically folding mirrors conversion can be done on a 1998 car but it's expensive (£700 plus). I wanted this on my 1998 Mk IV, but decided it wasn't worth spending the money.

Nach, you're right about the folding mirrors, but to clarify, the mk4 doesn't have parking sensors as standard. Also, on the 2000 model, both mirrors dip down when the vehicle is put into reverse. On the 1998 only one mirror dips.

Nach, you're right about the folding mirrors, but to clarify, the mk4 doesn't have parking sensors as standard. Also, on the 2000 model, both mirrors dip down when the vehicle is put into reverse. On the 1998 only one mirror dips.

Mine is a 98 and both of mine dip. Mike

Mine is a 98 and both of mine dip. Mike

Mine is also a 98 and only one dips!

SH car sales ad seems to show a 7 year gap between services?

Not my idea of a full service history.

The Cardiff car looks great in the pictures, but seems a bit overpriced, unless it's exceptional in the flesh, so to speak.

• Like 1

Michael, well spotted on the 'full' history. That's dealers for you. Way over-priced as usual. Or, it's a genuine upward trend for nice mk4s. Good low mileage ones for sale seem to be commanding premium prices everywhere at the moment.

Gosh! Well spotted dude - I'm no expert but cars left standing for 7 years ain't no good for 'em is it?

.. I don't think I'd worry too much about the mileage ...... . just go on condition and service history and a " feel " for the guy you're buying it off and if he looks the type that would love and cherish his car !

Malc

• Like 1

I had noticed that advent and wondered if it was the same car. Car looks like it has the dhp package on if I am not mistaken.

There is also this car which the seller confirms is still for sale - it has been around for quite a while now so I wonder why it hasn't sold?http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C501559

.. I don't think I'd worry too much about the mileage ...... . just go on condition and service history and a " feel " for the guy you're buying it off and if he looks the type that would love and cherish his car !

Malc

Couldn't agree more, particularly if you're parting with top money for any particular car.

If you can buy a good condition vehicle, with verifiable history, from a well written advert, from nice people in a nice house, then you're in with a good chance.

Low mileage can bring it's own problems, as well as often being falsified, so I'd be loathe to pay the kind of premium being asked currently.