Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Nitrogen Filled Tyres

Hi when i bought my isf from hedge end lexus the tyres had nitrogen in them i have not changed back to air so i would be interested to know from other owners if there are any benefits to having nitrogen filled tyres?

I've just had my tyres filled with Nitrogen, after buying two new tyres from Mr Tyres, the molecules are bigger than mixed air, so it doesn't seep through to the alloy and cause corrosion (there being only pure Nitrogen, in the tyre, no water or other contaminants. And, there's no need to check the pressures for two years! Mind you, that's more frequent than I normally check tyre pressures.

For the price of £1 a tyre you can drive into Mr Tyres and have them checked and refilled as necessary, additionally, if you have to use mixed air, whilst out and about, they will refill with Nitrogen on your next visit

I've had the 32 psi rule, for tyres, all my car ownership years, if in doubt use 32 psi, all the tyres on the LS400 are at 32 psi, funny that :lol:

Hey Geoff,

Been running Nitrogen in my tires for a few months now. Quite a few of us are using this over normal air.

I personally felt the benefit when I switched. Ride seems a little less harsh, better absorbance over lumps and bumps in the road, don't need to keep on checking/topping them up like you do with air, better wear pattern (more even across the treads)....... It's £1.50 per tire at my local Quik Fit in Gravesend, so £6 for the set.

Probably the cheapest modification I've done! ;)

• Like 1

Next time I get mine filled up I must change the pressure to 40 all round. Currently on 36 and only hearing good things about increasing it. If I do want to drop back to 36 do I need to go back to the garage though or is there another way of decreasing it?

40psi does seem the best for our climate I reckon.

The US guys run 36, but they have generally warmer/drier conditions throughout the year.

If you did want to change it back, or try 38 all round, you can let the pressure out via the valves yourself Andy.

Nitrogen isn't dangerous in small doses. Same stuff they use in laughing gas! ;)

40psi does seem the best for our climate I reckon.

The US guys run 36, but they have generally warmer/drier conditions throughout the year.

If you did want to change it back, or try 38 all round, you can let the pressure out via the valves yourself Andy.

Nitrogen isn't dangerous in small doses. Same stuff they use in laughing gas! ;)

Cheers Peter..thought I might be able to do that. Must resist inhaling it if I do drop the pressure :innocent:

Indeed it is Geoff! ;)

Does tend to hurt the wallet a bit, but worth every penny in my view! Lol.

That's one of the reasons why we got the wife a nice Audi A4 turbo diesel! Doesn't work with that thankfully! :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links