Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Passenger Window Marked - Looks Like Scratches

After washing my car at the weekend Ive noticed there are some marks on the front passenger window. These are thin white lines on the glass. The look like scratches and are on the outside, but I cant feel anything when running my finger over them. As they are all perfectly parrallell it looks like they have been caused by opening/closing the window. Ive used glass polish but cant remove ar reduce their appearence. There are no untoward noises operating the window, and no obvious debris on the window rubber.

Ive only had the car a a month and never noticed them before, but they are not easy to see form the drivers seat.

so a couple of questions: Anyone else had this, and would it be something that would be covered by warranty?

I had these on my 220d and there was a lengthy thread on it too. I've had a look through my 'content' but it only goes back to last year. I think some of the post got lost/deleted when the site changed its format. You could try doing a search along the lines of 'scratched glass'

I haven't got them on my 250 though.

Ive done a quick search and seems to be a common problem. Does anyone know the cause or fix?

If i cant fix\reapir myself and If i cant live with it or it goes worse I'll try and get it sorted under warranty.

Ive done a quick search and seems to be a common problem. Does anyone know the cause or fix?

If i cant fix\reapir myself and If i cant live with it or it goes worse I'll try and get it sorted under warranty.

Knowing Lexus, good luck with that.

Knowing Lexus, good luck with that.

Yep....I'm inclined to agree with that.

I think the scratches were caused by gritty/sandy bits trapped between the window glass and the outer rubber seal. Least that's what I found on investigating. To help remedy it I wrap a thin bit of wet chamois leather round a plastic blade and insert it at one end , then drag it horizontally along the seal (between seal and window glass) withdrawing only at the the very end. It is quite surprising what gunk comes out. Do it several times at each window.

Hope that helps.

Id agre warrenty is a long shot but I got a year with the car being an approved so no harm asking. As for the cause, Id also agree with Normski2, on closer inspecton its all that makes sense.