Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Flickering Sat Nav Screen.....

I have started to notice a regular flickering in the Sat Nav screen (just enough to draw my attention but rectified before my eyes close in on the screen , quite annoying)

I have read in another post that this could be indicative of an alternator problem - I am concerned that left unchecked it could escalate in to a major issue.

Please post if you have any insights in to this symptom - if I can isolate it to an alternator then I am keen to get a replacement in ahead of time to swap it out at an opportune moment

If anyone knows the precise part code for the Alternator on a 1998 MK4 VVTI that would be most helpful

Thanks in advance

Viren

I would clarify that the alternator is faulty before replacing it ,as Messi says there would be other malfunctions if the alternator was not producing enough power. The powerload coming into the Navigation screen does not come directly from the alternator but through the Battery and is monitored via an electronic voltage regulator in the electrical system within the display screen.

There is probably a fault on the pcb that serves the display or a loose connection within the module.

You have to eliminate the problem by degrees starting at the unit that as the fault.

If the alternator is faulty you will find that the Battery is flattening quickly and eventually the car won't start.

I had the perenial leaking power steering fluid reservoir on my Mark 1 and that toasted my alternator on the M8 and brought me to a grinding halt in a matter of an hour because the Lexus LS400 does'nt run very long on a Battery alone.So if the car is otherwise ok it is not the alternator.

Viren, my screen flickered too, but then I twigged that it only did it when the car had exited from a tunnel or other low light situation.e.g. an underpass or heavy woods etc.. When I first got the car I thought there was something wrong with the sat nav but there wasn't, it was just adjusting back to normal daylight setting. Is this what you are experiencing or is the flickering different to this in some way?

My screen also flickers (well more like very vague stripes) from time to time. Been doing it since I had the car, and my thoughts are:

It only catches me when I look briefly with the corner of my eye - but this is a natural function of the eye - to make sure we could work out a twitching leaf may or may not hide a pouncing lion. But once I notice it with corner of eye, my brain then sees it when I stare at it for a few seconds, then it seems to disappear!!

It only seems to happen with change of weather - this may indicate that a PCB has a very minor problem with damp (or slowly degrading capacitor).

It has not got worse in the two years I have had the MK4, and certainly no issues with alternator, which would also show up with other symptoms.

Personally I would not worry about it unless it becomes permanent and always noticeable even when you stare at the screen.

Many thanks for all the replies,

I did think initially that it was an underpass/low light situation (a la Titch LS) and this might still be the case.

Will get the battery's health checked and keep an eye on it for now

Cheers,

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links