Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Upgrade Is200 To Is250 Auto ?

Ive had the IS200 for 7 years and apart from having a few niggles sorted on purchase it hasnt missed a beat. It now has 82K, Ive just serviced it, I also did brake pads all round 12 months back so realistically could get a few more years of hassle free Lex motoring.....

I went through the whole IS250 thing a few back, had a one for a few weekends on test but didnt pull the trigger due to over stretching the finances.

The finances arent an issue now and im getting itchy feet. Ive looked at everything, Audi, BMW but I keep coming back to the IS250, mainly based on my experience with the IS200.

So over to you IS250 owners. Is the IS250 a rock solid piece of kit, just like the IS200/300? If i pull the trigger will I get that same feeling that I still get now, looking at the old beast parked up on the drive.

Has anyone owned both and how would you compare ? Are there any advantages in buying a later model over say a 2007/8 ?

Ive no idea how the car has moved forward in terms of technology since its release. MPG isnt an issue obviously with 2.5 auto, I dont do a lot of miles.

any thoughts appreciated .

Hi Doog,

I had my IS200 Sport for 8 years and loved it. I always lusted after the IS250, looked at one in 2010 even, still a bit expensive then. This year was feeling a bit better financially and took the plunge. I found a lovely '56 IS250 SE-L with all the bits, (except the sunglasses holder :P) an low mileage for around 8k, and fell in love on the test drive.

It rides smoother and you have more of wafting along ride, altho sporty enuff, the old 1 was the sport so a little harder, but i do love the extra toys.

A beemer of this age I wouldn't touch and the mercs look dull and aged.

Try not to go for less than SE-L auto and Sat Nav, you won't regret it.

The '250 has been a little heavier on fuel than the '200, but that's to be expected, about 300 miles per tank, got around 360 with the '200.

Hope that helps.

James

• Like 1

I had a is200 Sport for a few years, then a 220d and now the 250 auto. I'd give a defo thumbs up over the is200.

The auto box is sublime and the paddles are fun if you want to get back to the feel of a manual every now and then. Compared to the 200 you'll find the door panel height greater and correspondingly the glass shorter in height, but you soon get used to that. The front windscreen pillars are quite large as are the mirrors. So be careful at junctions...keeping a special eye out for bikes/bikers....again you will soon adapt...it's just that it's different. Same applies to the rear pillars.

I personally find the seats much better in the 250. The front end will feel longer..but again you adapt. Let's face you will find differences in whatever else you get.

Mpg wise...I get 29/31 on my short run to work and typically 36 on a decent run. I've even had close to 40mpg on a very flat m-way run using cruise control at about 65mph.

I'd say go for the facelift version if you can. Top of the pile is the SEL MM with the Mark Levinson stereo/surround sound. You will also get the USB port in the armrest and the full postcode entry on the sat nav (not important to everybody). You also get the flashers in the side mirror body and the flip up mirrors on locking the vehicle.

I could prattle on for pages.....you need to go and audition a few and see for yourself.

There quite a few recent posts relating to getting a 250....search them out and read them.

Good luck and hope you get one...don't think you will regret it for a minute. They are lovely cars and also stand out from the vanilla crowd all around.

• Like 1

cheers lads, some great info there.

Im kind of getting there but unsure whether to go main dealer or not. I did with IS200 and a few issues were sorted under warranty, the big un being the dual mass flywheel/ clutch saga...

as such the dealer prices are right up there ..still .....but worth it for peace of mind ? Budget around £15K max, i tend to keep cars for the long haul so money worth spent ?

I sold a 2.4 accord for my is250 manual, its great. fantastic car, rock solid and recently i am clocking up the miles and worked out i can get about 420/430 miles on a full tank over long runs.

cant beat it, get the se-l spec however.

I've had my 57 plate SE-L auto multimedia for around 6 months now, after changing from a Focus ST. I absolutely love the car and can't fault it at all so far. I got mine from a Lexus dealership for peace of mind with the warranty etc.

I would have preferred a facelift if push came to shove, but at the time the best deal I could get on an equivalent facelift from a dealer would have cost me around 3K more. The car was 1 year newer (58 plate) and as Normski pointed out, I would have added a USB port, Bluetooth audi and indicators in the mirrors. These were things that would be nice to have but were not a deal breaker and certainly not for 3K difference, especially when I thought I was getting such a good deal on this one.

With a 15K budget however you should easily be able to pick out a stunning facelift from a dealer and probably receive change so I would definitely go facelift in your position. :D

These two look rather nice at the moment:

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-IS/IS-250/2.5-SE-L/Woodford-Green/1760689-604572235-1607027.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

http://usedcars.lexus.co.uk/used-IS/IS-250/2.5-SE-L/Bristol/1760689-604581768-1607058.aspx?srcmdc=se_na_re_

• 2 weeks later...

I went from a is200 navigator (2005) which I had for 5 years to a is250f sport (2010) and all I can say is it out classes any other car in its catergory and it is a great drive with the auto 6 speed tiptronic/ paddle shifters. also I would personally go for one with the mark levison multi media pack

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links