Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Slider Pins?

THE GURNS

Hi,we have a problem with our 1997 gs300's brakes,I believe the slider pins are sticking causing the brakes to stick on slightly which causes the front wheels to wobble furiously,I have had the slider pins out and noticed that the slider rubbers are non existent,I have bought new rubbers from Lexus in Cardiff,quite reasonable at £12 for 2 rubbers plus the rubber grommet for the top slider pin,my questions are.....

Should both slider pins have rubber grommets on the ends or just the one?

What grease to use for the pins

is there anything else I should know before attempting the job?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Hi Neil

On the IS model the small rubber grommet at the end of the top slider pin is there to stop it rattling, so I believe. I have left this off on mine a few times as the grease does attack it after a while and swell it a bit so its fine when you take the slider pin out but try to get it back in is near to impossible. My experience in leaving it off has no affect whatsoever.

The grommet is only applied to the top pin on each side.

I used to use Castrol grease but have changed over to the proper Toyota Rubber Grease (red in colour) This seems to stay "greasier" and "thicker" longer than anything I have tried.

As for doing the job - just make sure everything is clean and greased up. While the caliper is off make sure that the pistons move freely. If the wobble still persists after replacing the pins then I would suspect its your front disc that have gone.

I changed the rubber slider boots this morning and it looks like job is a good 'un,took it for a run and brakes are fine,no more wobbling,thanks for the replies guys,that was exactly the answers I needed,I gave it a wash I was that chuffed :shifty: I have noticed a bush that needs replacing,the passenger strut moves backwards very slightly under braking,so that will be my next job,the lower suspension arm bush is on its way out,I can buy the arm off eBay for around £90,I notice that I can get the bush alone for around £20 but have not got a bush press,but know a man that does,do you guys reckon change the bush or the arm?

Have a pic just because.......

SDC12299.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links