Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aftermarket Head Unit Help

Firstly thanks for any help in advance. I have been trying to fit an after market head unit to my lexus is200 SE. I have unplugged the amp and installed a amp bypass lead. I then plugged the ISO fit end into the head unit but there doesn't seem to be any power to the head unit. I tried doing this before taking the stock unit out of the car and strangely after the 3rd party head unit was plugged in to ensure it worked i still had power going to the stock head unit. This leads me to believe the power is not coming through the amp bypass cable.

I have now completely removed the stock head unit to ensure this wouldn't cause issues and still i have no power to the new head unit. I have double checked the cables from the rear of the radio and from what i can see all wires are connected correctly. I do have a red ACC wire not connected coming from the rear of the unit but i assume this is to power an amp if i decide to install one at a later date.

I'm no electric genesis by any means but know the basics and thought connecting a bypass cable and installing an ISO fix head unit would be easy. Guess i was wrong.

Just a quick update i have had an issue that many have had when wiring in a new head unit on the is200. When i unplug the amp it creates a constant power feed to the clock, heated seat etc which would drain the Battery if left. When the amp lead is plugged back into the amp the clock and everything else reverts back to being powered by the ignition. Can't figured out the solution or what causes this and i assume this is why i'm not getting any power to the new head unit with the amp bypass lead.

Also if it helps this is the bypass lead i brought. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251445663682?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

i believe the by pass cable you have need to be re-wire.

if you post up picture of the hardness by pass cable that u have, maybe someone will come up a better answer .

Thanks for the reply as suggested here are the cables i am working with. (sorry for quality of images)

Amp bypass lead showing connection at amp end https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4tfvg321df78l6w/AACbJL_hGtzCEutCd-1xaMcQa

Amp bypass lead at head unit end https://www.dropbox.com/sc/k344jzniflgrv8e/AADZnVOn2FLZVlF8n59-VuPya (Not sure what the red wire is for i assumed it was a ACC lead that is used to power an amp or the like although i am also thinking this could be the route of my problems?)

ISO plug of for the wires coming from the radio https://www.dropbox.com/sc/4pg26fkya10gebx/AABCKwUvCn_vySChOih5Rre1a

wiring diagram that came with the radios ISO plug https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ovqfg63bliuuww/CS02-DVD-iso-plug.jpg?dl=0

and finally the wiring diagram on the new head unit. https://www.dropbox.com/sc/xcu788ni5c7nmt2/AAA8zjMgGZi6MyvSkyPDIPbma

Ok so just another update ave checked the head unit by connection direct to the Battery using the red ACC lead on the bypass harness and i have life the unit powered up. So this leaves me with two issues to sort. The first being where to wire the ACC lead too? The second is the bypass harness is not wired correctly as when plugged in it creates a constant circuit to the clock. My guess is the ground wires as i have two but does any one have a diagram of the stock amp connector showing which wire is which so i can trace the wires back through and check each is going to the correct place?

manage to find a very old picture i took

as you can see there's two yellow wire ( circle in red) need to be cut and separate ( one for power and one for the stereo memory which the power constant feed)

both Battery and AC connected together (that's the reason ended a flat Battery next day and the clock constant lit)

**** i do not hold any responsible for any damage to your car ****

i've search everywhere without result until i take the risk and tested it myself (zero knowledge)

Finally sorted my own issue without any problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu3ngksjz91rxwv/cut%20cut%20mod.jpg?dl=0

if you not sure what u doing. best is to go visit a car stereo technician (proper technician) to fix the issue for you

good luck and all the best :zee:

manage to find a very old picture i took

as you can see there's two yellow wire ( circle in red) need to be cut and separate ( one for power and one for the stereo memory which the power constant feed)

both battery and AC connected together (that's the reason ended a flat battery next day and the clock constant lit)

**** i do not hold any responsible for any damage to your car ****

i've search everywhere without result until i take the risk and tested it myself (zero knowledge)

Finally sorted my own issue without any problem.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wu3ngksjz91rxwv/cut%20cut%20mod.jpg?dl=0

if you not sure what u doing. best is to go visit a car stereo technician (proper technician) to fix the issue for you

good luck and all the best :zee:

Thanks for this i think this may just work have been out all day so will try in the week sometime. Do you know which yellow memory wire you cut to do this (IE which one has the constant feed going through? If not no prob i will just trial it as it's only a 50-50 choice.

Just cut one separate it from the other yellow wire and connect it to the red one.

do run test without fully install the stereo.(save you the hassle removing if things not right)

turn ignition ON and see if the stereo power up, pre-set a radio channel and turn ignition OFF

turn ignition ON again and check if the radio setting still there

If it's station need setting again then you need to swap both yellow wire pin in their place.

both yellow wire supplying power - just checking which is constant feed

re-test again on the station pre-set (if setting still there means you got the right connection)

some final tidy up on the cable, install new stereo unit and you good to go :D

Just cut one separate it from the other yellow wire and connect it to the red one.

do run test without fully install the stereo.(save you the hassle removing if things not right)

turn ignition ON and see if the stereo power up, pre-set a radio channel and turn ignition OFF

turn ignition ON again and check if the radio setting still there

If it's station need setting again then you need to swap both yellow wire pin in their place.

both yellow wire supplying power - just checking which is constant feed

re-test again on the station pre-set (if setting still there means you got the right connection)

some final tidy up on the cable, install new stereo unit and you good to go :D

Thanks will chuck a multimedia on it tonight or tomorrow to identify which is constant and which is ignition and will report back how i get on

Pete you are a star i re-wired the harness tonight as per your picture and had it all up and running in 5 minutes. Wish the install was that quick as very tight but at least its in. Just have to modify the surround to make it fit in with the dash better.

Only one thing left to sort now and that's I'm not receiving any signal from the antenna for the radio (only static at the mo) did you have to re-wire the power to this too or did you just plug it in and you were good to go? Will have to troubleshoot that another night though.

So its all in and working finally. Decided not to cut the aerial lead. All i did was unplug the connect and attached a small spade connector to the amp control lead and plugged that into the male part of the connector and hey presto a working radio. :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links