Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Buying Rx300

Hi all

As the title says just wanted to know if there were any major common faults to look out for???

Am looking to buy from 2001 to 2005 reg

Coming from a is200 mpg is in the mid 20s

whats the best mpg you guys got out of the rx

Thanks

Hi I get 26-28 mpg on my 10 mile commute to work on a run at 65-70 mph I get upto 34mpg which I'm quite happy with it just depends on how throttle happy you are

Ian

thanks for the reply mate

34mpg i could only wish to get that out of the is200 lol

are there any common faults ie ball joints or geo inner tyre wear?

gear box faults?

thanks again

O2 sensors seem to fail at regular intervals, usually 60-80K........US forums moan about Auto trans failure, but doesn't seem at all common over here! I reckon its all the fiddling and too frequent changing of the oil, they seem paranoid about oil changes being done so frequently I don't reckon the oil gets time to warm up :lol:

I did read once the Mk1 auto box had a problem with a soft material used in its planetary gear set, after about 2002 this was improved with a hardened set, would seem to make sense.

Otherwise the Mk1 are pretty bullet proof, ours has 120K on it and has only had two sensors replaced and last year a new rear exhaust box (corroded at pipe to box weld).

Fuel is about 23-26 general running, not long runs (it can then nudge 28 :rolleyes: ).

hi and thanks for reply

just what i wanted to hear thanks

been looking at the mk2 04reg se with 80k on the clock on autotrader for 5k

there do hold value

thanks

Sounds a decent buy. Make sure to check the alloy wheels and under the arches for rust. Never had a problem with mine and I had mine 8 years but there are others who have. I think one of the main things is the suspension, some of them make funny noises when going over bumps. Mine suffered from this but I had it sorted by Lexus and it never came again.

BTW 34mpg out of an RX300 is practically impossible. I was running 38psi all round on low resistance tyres and I saw 16mpg in town, 22mpg on the motorway.

I agree pretty much with Colin Barbers suggested figures. Around town it's around 20, and on the motorway around 25-27 if we are "keeping up with the traffic". It's a small price to pay in our opinion - but then we aren't doing big mileage!

• 4 weeks later...