Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Key Problem- (Not A Barrel Of Laughs).

I tried to start my LS the other day and the key would not turn in the ignition. I took the key out and tried again. No go. Worryingly, this happened quite a few times, but eventually it turned and I could start the car. I googled the problem and was surprised to see how common this fault was. Apparently, It is a known Toyota fault and happens throughout the range (including Lexus). Other makes suffer from this too. Following advice, I found that if I tapped the end of the key quite hard whilst in the ignition it would free it up most times. To try to find a better solution I then puffed some powdered graphite into the barrel (this stuff is recommended by locksmiths) and hey presto, it has been behaving itself ever since. Anyone else had this problem on their LS?

Are you sure it wes the key,I had this problem and the culprit was me I had left the wheels on a full left lock the answer was in my case to turn the steering wheel just a slight bit more to the left and everything worked.

Norman, yes I know about the steering wheel lock problem. This is not that. It is a problem with the barrel in the ignition. My steering wheel was in the 'straight ahead' position and the steering was definitely not locked. Many Toyotas have had this problem (Google). It's a design fault.

2 Weeks ago I was at a locksmiths discussing this very matter. He said not to tap or hammer the key in if it won't go in readily. He also advised against using powdered graphite, (which I used in an ignition lock over 10 years ago and it's still fine). He said to use Inox.

Don't bother with buying powdered graphite, just get a HB pencil and some fine sandpaper, rub the pencil lead (it is not lead and has not been for many a year, it is in fact graphite and a clay binder) on the sandpaper and then rub the dust onto the key, simples, works with all keys including door, and padlock, have done this for years. Old locksmith trick from years gone by.

As for the sticking barrel, never had the issue but had similar with steering wheel on lock, just a slight move on the wheel and viola.

If you suspect that dirt or dust is in there, then a good blast of compressed air from an aerosol will probably remove the crud, then use the pencil dust on the key.

If you didn't want to use the graphite route then clean out the barrel and use a squirt of silicone spray, works just as good i'm told.

Don't hit any key into a lock or while it is in the lock, you run the risk of further damage and possibly failure of the lock itself, adding more then a few pence to the repair bill.

Thanks for all the views and advice everyone (including the Twins). The graphite worked a treat but I might use silicon spray in the future if it happens again, as it's less messy. Never heard of Inox but will look into it.

Thanks for all the views and advice everyone (including the Twins). The graphite worked a treat but I might use silicon spray in the future if it happens again, as it's less messy. Never heard of Inox but will look into it.

(including the Twins) Oh dear what have I started ? Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links