Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Wing Mirror Lubrication?

Morning guys

Just a quick question for you experts out there who have been unbelievably helpful since I joined this forum.

The only fly in the ointment of my fantastic ls430 has been the nearside wing mirror has not dipped for several months. The mirror housings fold in and out as they should when ignition is started or stopped and the glass on both can be moved in and out by the controller. However the nearside glass does not dip when reverse is selected or by using controller (offside is fine on all the above).

Having mused for several months about replacing the whole mirror at quite a cost (apparently this is lexus only answer to this regular problem) I decided this morning to have one last try, so with my non existent mechanical skills I moved the glass manually up and down quite a few times really quite forcefully.

I then put the car in and out of reverse about a dozen times and hey presto both mirrors worked perfectly every time! Also worked perfectly from the controller.

Having set the scene in I admit a rather long winded way my question is can you somehow lubricate this part of the wing mirror mechanism as I believe this may be all that could be required to solve this problem. Thanks for bearing with me guys and any advice would be gratefully received as always

Mark

Hi Mark

You will need to remove the mirror and to do this follow the next instructions very carefully.Take a piece of soft cloth and insert under the bottom and side edges of the mirror and gather the cloth together above the mirror in one hand .

Pull sharply upwards and away from the mirror housing angled at about 30 degrees.This will release the mirror from the clips that hold the mirror onto the moving element of the mechanism .You will then be able to access the moving parts. do not use oil, use vaseline or lithium ( white grease).When you have serviced the moving parts the mirror clips back in place .

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links