Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Braking Issue, Possibly Abs?

mr impact

Hi guys, Im new here but need some advice on an IS200 I have been offered recently. It was off the road for nearly a year and was sent for an MOT over the summer and failed on brakes. The owner got the garage to do the work, requiring a new rear caliper, and new pads. It past the MOT and has also had 4 new tyres and alignment setting up.

I test drove the car, and it brakes perfectly from higher speeds, no juddering, squeeling or anything. It brakes in a straight line, and tracks in a straight line. Braking from 60 for a roundabout is perfect.

But the issue comes when you come to a halt. When you come to a stop (even from a slow speed) the brake pedal judders and then comes back up at you. Its like the ABS is kicking in everytime you come to a stop. Even if you brake gently to a stop it does the same thing. There are no brake warning lights on the dash, and the abs light dosnt come on at any time, even when you come to a stop.The pedal is not spongy at all and it past its mot like it. The guy said he just lived with it as its only when you come to a stop. But Im not too happy about driving a car that has the brake pedal coming back up every time you pull up!

Any ideas what it could be? I dont want to be put off buying the car as apart from this (and engine management light is on, although it seems to run fine) the car seems good.

Any help would be good.

Thanks.

Nick.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem a few years back on my Lexus.

It turned out to be a problem with my Brake Disc.......it had a hard piece of metal (same size as a thumbnail) in the casting (back face) which was not wearing down evenly as per the rest of disc face and as a consequence was slightly proud . The problem it gave me were similar to what you are experiencing.

It might be worth you checking this out on your car........good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem a few years back on my Lexus.

It turned out to be a problem with my Brake Disc.......it had a hard piece of metal (same size as a thumbnail) in the casting (back face) which was not wearing down evenly as per the rest of disc face and as a consequence was slightly proud . The problem it gave me were similar to what you are experiencing.

It might be worth you checking this out on your car........good luck.

Turns out to be the ABS pump, or more likely the sensors on it telling the abs to kick in too soon. If you disconnect the abs pump, the brakes are perfect. Obviously you lose ABS and traction control but at least there are no issues with the actual brakes.

Anyone know if you can just change the ABS sensors on the pump at all? Or does the whole pump need changing?

Thanks.

Nick.