Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warped Hubs?

rufus36

• 2 weeks later...

Well, have covered 800 miles since having the second hand hub assembly fitted and touch wood all is well, but still early days to know for sure if this has cured the problem, will feel more positive after 2k.

• 1 month later...

Done about 3,700 miles since the hub assembly changed, and glad to say that car seems fine, so if anyone else is having the same issues as i had, do yourself a big favor and don't spend 1k on trying to find the cause..just buy a used hub assembly (hub, bearing, knuckle) from eBay, i paid £25 + delivery, and as long as that one is not damaged then problem cured!

Ah brilliant good for you mate!

I have just had the new discs and pads fitted follow the new flange. I don't do much mileage so won't know if its worked for a few weeks maybe months yet haha. I do about 4000 miles a year lol

Thats the problem, like mine, changing the brake pads, caliper seals, disc, hub and bearing did not cure the problem as the fault was with the actual arm assembly that the disc/hub/bearing were fitted to. The disc was not warping due to heat, it was due to the hub spinning out of true so the brake pads were not touching the face of the disc evenly, thus causing uneven disc wear which caused the judder when braking. Reckon the previous owner must have gone down a serious pot hole the force of which slightly bent the hub carrier arm, this would also explain why the spare wheel is twisted and cannot be straightened.

Hope yours is okay now Billy, but if does it again I suggest buying one new disc from Euro Car parts and fit to near side first to see if that stops the judder (near side is normally the one that goes down pot holes) if so then buy a complete used hub carrier assembly from eBay and fit that with the new disc.

All makes perfect sense.

I actually hit a serious pothole right before I put new brakes on. When the brakes started to judder I just assumed they were poor quality and didn't think about the pothole at all.

I have changed the flange so hoping to God now that the pothole bent the flange and not the hub carrier arm.

I would be nervous paying the labour costs to fit a used hub carrier arm - would probably want to put a new bearing in it aswell.

Can a nearly new bearing be taken out of one hub and put into a new or is it damaged in the process?

No, as I found out, the new bearing cannot be removed from the hub without damaging it. You may be lucky that just the hub is bent (not so lucky as that cost me £120+vat and I still have it on the old assembly with the new bearing!) but to be honest, I had the same thoughts to replace the second hand bearing but it span perfectly smooth without any noise so happy days!

The garage swapped to assemblies for me and didn't charge anything as I had paid them enough to cure the problem already, they done it whilst i waited and took them about 45 mins. It was something that was easy enough to do, i would have done it myself if they hadn't have offered. So i guess that any garage would charge an hours labour to do the swap.

If you still get problems the cost will be minimal, 1 x new disc £43.80 from eurocarparts, second hand hub carrier assembly complete from eBay price between £25 to £60 and 1 x hours labour charge £45-£50 if you didn't fancy doing it yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

Right then.....500 miles into my new discs and pads the symptoms are back!

Judder at high speed (90mph+), judder under braking from high speed and throbbing when braking at low speed!

Looking to order a new hub carrier today 🙈

Billy, don't go down that route mate, just buy a used unit complete from eBay as I did. My car is fine now. If you really want a new hub, I have one that cost me £120 in my garage!!!

No no, thats what I meant. I will be looking out for a used good condition hub carrier unit.

Shouldn't be hard to replace right?

Top ball joint nut

Bottom ball joint nuts

Steering Arm

Caliper

Anything else?

My garage replaced mine as I had spent so much money with them trying to sort this problem out!

Dont think it's a hard job to do though, but took them a while to swap over the splash guard as the one on "new" hub unit was sightly split. Prices vary for a used hub assembly, guess it's pot luck to weather the bearing is ok though.

The run out can also be caused by corrosion between the rotor and the hub- just a tiny raised spot can lead to magnified error at the edge of the disc, so make sure the surfaces are very, very clean. Anything more than .05 of a mm can cause issues.

800 miles since i had my complete hub assemblies fitted along with more new discs and just prior to that a pair of new calipers and the dreaded judder is back!!! Oddly it is not as bad if i am braking and have knocked her into neutral.

I shall be trying lower suspension control bushes or complete arms if i can get them cheap( i know a dude in the trade).

Failling that anybody want to buy a lexus!!!!! lol

I am putting my faith in your success Chris,

Have a used hub assembly to go on this weekend (provided the bearing is up to scratch)

Just annoying for a luxury car to give this vibration :-(

Got it from eBay months and months ago. My mechanic convinced me to fit a new flange instead with the hub being used cant trust it.....but im still getting judder so got nothing to lose apart from a flange and bearing that have only done 3000 miles :-(