Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

At War...again...

Gbneil

...will this,once again entail the bombing of areas settled by innocent families and individuals in the bid,to destroy 'isis'...?...I find this both ironic and sad..ironic...one of our partners in the Middle East is Saudi arabia, a country that has beheaded almost two people a week this year alone, and im sure I read somewhere, beheaded one a day in recent years...sad?...because we sit back and alow just as barbaric activities with much more civilian casualties to go on and on because they have no political or monetary value....whilst the beheadings of the three westerners has been shocking, barbaric and brutal, the bombing of the suggested areas will just turn more in the Middle East against we the west....so,,job done as this was surely the intention in the first place..the behaviour of these renegades has been decried, even by extreme members of Islamic society as against the teachings of the Koran...

Once again we seem to quick to,pull the trigger when it suits us, or when we hold onto,Americas coatails....have we assumed the identity of the gobby little kid that hung around with the playground bully...one day, the playground bully won't be here for us....what then?...

I feel let down and dismayed by the thought that we will be once again asking our younger generation to engage in a war that will inevitably mean we,ourselves sustain fatalities..to,paraphrase Churchill, I know this is not the end. but I fear it may be the beginning of the end....the end of the beginning?...that happened years ago

Complicated! If no action is taken ISIS will continue a policy of murdering anyone who opposes them including us.

Take action and you can visualise another dragged out war with no final solution forthcoming.

So what is the answer?

Anyone?

...will this,once again entail the bombing of areas settled by innocent families and individuals in the bid,to destroy 'isis'...?...I find this both ironic and sad..ironic...one of our partners in the Middle East is Saudi arabia, a country that has beheaded almost two people a week this year alone, and im sure I read somewhere, beheaded one a day in recent years...sad?...because we sit back and alow just as barbaric activities with much more civilian casualties to go on and on because they have no political or monetary value....whilst the beheadings of the three westerners has been shocking, barbaric and brutal, the bombing of the suggested areas will just turn more in the Middle East against we the west....so,,job done as this was surely the intention in the first place..the behaviour of these renegades has been decried, even by extreme members of Islamic society as against the teachings of the Koran...

Once again we seem to quick to,pull the trigger when it suits us, or when we hold onto,Americas coatails....have we assumed the identity of the gobby little kid that hung around with the playground bully...one day, the playground bully won't be here for us....what then?...

I feel let down and dismayed by the thought that we will be once again asking our younger generation to engage in a war that will inevitably mean we,ourselves sustain fatalities..to,paraphrase Churchill, I know this is not the end. but I fear it may be the beginning of the end....the end of the beginning?...that happened years ago

Have you read the Koran George? I've read it and tried to study it to some degree. If you haven't I suggest you do, then decide if these so called extreme members of Islam are acting against the teachings of their so called holy book.

Yes, I am studying philosophy, in my fourth year, and although I am an agnostic who leans toward aetheism, I have a deep interest in religion, and studied it, albeit briefly, for a term, last year.. I would point out that almost any world religion has a huge degree of ambiguity built into it so that it is, in my opinion, a one size fits all moral guidebook...the problem with that is the ambiguity allows many translations and interpretations, and these translations can be tailored toward the ends of a minority of individuals world wide...ask yourself, how many innocent indigenous people the world over, how many innocent men, women and children have died the world over for as long as we care to remember in the name of Judaism, Catholicism, Islam and Protestantism? Historically, an untold amount.

I have nothing but respect for our armed services, they do a job I could not and goto fight where they are sent. My problem is with misguided, crooked or sycophantic politicians who bravely take these decisions for them, in Iraq alone there have been over 100,000 civilian casualties from 2002-20013 from the result of 'allied' bombing...yet the situation seems to have worsened...so, the solution...more bombs...Albert Einstein said his definition of insanity was doing the same thing over an over and expecting a different result....he also said there were only two things he knew to be infinite, the universe and mans stupidity...he then added, but I'm not sure about the universe....I think the application of his first definition gives truth to his second, don't you?

I do not consider myself to be someone who is cleverer, more morally correct, than anyone else...I would never shove my views down anyone's throat...people may have different opinions to me and that's cool, but I'm pretty sure we could sort our differences without it coming to blows...it doesn't seem to work that way in the global scale sadly..

• Like 3

Yes, I am studying philosophy, in my fourth year, and although I am an agnostic who leans toward aetheism, I have a deep interest in religion, and studied it, albeit briefly, for a term, last year.. I would point out that almost any world religion has a huge degree of ambiguity built into it so that it is, in my opinion, a one size fits all moral guidebook...the problem with that is the ambiguity allows many translations and interpretations, and these translations can be tailored toward the ends of a minority of individuals world wide...ask yourself, how many innocent indigenous people the world over, how many innocent men, women and children have died the world over for as long as we care to remember in the name of Judaism, Catholicism, Islam and Protestantism? Historically, an untold amount.

I have nothing but respect for our armed services, they do a job I could not and goto fight where they are sent. My problem is with misguided, crooked or sycophantic politicians who bravely take these decisions for them, in Iraq alone there have been over 100,000 civilian casualties from 2002-20013 from the result of 'allied' bombing...yet the situation seems to have worsened...so, the solution...more bombs...Albert Einstein said his definition of insanity was doing the same thing over an over and expecting a different result....he also said there were only two things he knew to be infinite, the universe and mans stupidity...he then added, but I'm not sure about the universe....I think the application of his first definition gives truth to his second, don't you?

I do not consider myself to be someone who is cleverer, more morally correct, than anyone else...I would never shove my views down anyone's throat...people may have different opinions to me and that's cool, but I'm pretty sure we could sort our differences without it coming to blows...it doesn't seem to work that way in the global scale sadly..

Studying religion briefly as you say you have, really puts you under the umbrella of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" I've tried to study and understand different religions for the past 20 years. The one that concerns me most is the increase of Islam. At the heart of it, it is not a religion of peace. The so called "prophet" was a man who murdered everyone that stood in his way, and taught his followers to do the same. Compare that to Christianity where Jesus taught his followers to love their enemy. The two largest world religions are in total opposition to each other. Of course some awful things have been done in the name of Christianity, but these have not been done in accordance with the bible, whereas the atrocities carried out by many Muslims have been carried out in accordance with their book. Misunderstanding, or misrepresenting God doesn't make him any less real.

• Like 2

That's an awful assumption to make that I have only studied briefly?,,I have only been at university for four years and only studied the philosophy of religion briefly, but hey, am not a wet eared 20 yr old...I can see the problem was in my wording, but I'm a 45 year old man who is topping of a lifetime of interest in philosophy, ethics, religion and aesthetics with a university degree...sorry if my post mislead you..

as for the actual existence of God, well now, that's another thing all together....and how you can say that the conquests, settling of North america etc and subsequent slaughter of indigenous people had no connection to religion is beyond me...but, as I said, am happy we have opposing views, and will happily agree to differ...peace, gbn

That's an awful assumption to make that I have only studied briefly?,,I have only been at university for four years and only studied the philosophy of religion briefly, but hey, am not a wet eared 20 yr old...as for the actual existence of God, well now, that's another thing all together....and how you can say that the conquests, settling of North america etc and subsequent slaughter of indigenous people had no connection to religion is beyond me...but, as I said, am happy we have opposing views, and will happily agree to differ...peace, gbn

Steady on my man, I wasn't making assumptions, I was simply quoting your words, that you studied religion "briefly" for one term. And where did I say that none of the slaughter has no connection to religion? Anyway, we have something in common, we think Lexus are fab cars!

Yeah, I ammended my post...my difficulty is seeing how things done in the name of a religion is not in accordance with a holy book and its misinterpretation for inappropriate ends. As you will know, if you wanna read a book full of violence, incest, retribution, even wit in some cases, the old testaments yer man!..

and yeah, I love my lexus....forgive me ls400 for I have sinned, it's been a month since I.filled your tank......

A poem I posted in another section...and the God and devil here aren't of any faith,

God and the devil walked side by side,

Looked down at the world and they both cried,

One of them in laughter one of them in pain

cos the people of the world were doin it again....and again

Well you created them, then they created you

So you cant blame me and I cant blame you

Its you to blame but not the you I know

Its all of the gods they made down below

I can see why you cant see the gods that they all blame

Its hard to see whats comin up on board a movin train

I am on the sidelines here just workin on my tan

But sometimes all it takes is one honest decent man

So the devil stood up and said I will not stand by

how many more decent folk are gonna up and die

My gods good and yours is bad , youll all go straight to hell

Well none of these folks are welcome there, Ive got it runnin swell

Aint no place for religion in my home way down below

Just honest sinners and decent folk who deep down still all know

Religion takes an honest man and fills him full of hate

And honest men should realize this before its way too late

I will admit that should be 'some honest men' not an honest man which would imply it corrupts all, which I really don't think ,but hey, it's a first draft...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links