Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H 2014 Door Lock At Speed

I just picked up my new RX450 Luxury from the dealership on Saturday. I was very surprised to find that the doors don't lock when the car gets to 5-10mph. Previously I had a 2010 RX450 and this worked from day one.

I've looked through the manual and the menus in the car and there is no mention of this at all, either as a general function or as a customisable option.

I've done a search of previous posts and I can find this issue with older 400's, but not 450's. I phoned the dealer and they are going to find out but haven't come back to me yet.

Does anyone know if a 2014 RX450 should lock once it gets to 5-10mph, and if this is something that I can set, or that my dealer should be able to do?

It would be a shame if this function has been removed because I think it's a useful safety feature.

Thanks for your help

I had a courtesy 450h whilst my 400h was in for a service last week. I am pretty sure I saw this option in one of the menus, and it may have been under vehicle / customisation or something similar. I remember seeing that you could even set up the auto-lock to either only lock/unlock the drivers door, or all 4 doors.

I'm sure it's in there somewhere...

All the current Lexus cars I have seen you can choose as follows: doors lock / unlock when moving out of park or have them lock at 5 mph.

Would be very surprised if the 450h didn't have that - the CT200h has details in the user guide on how to set yourself.

Thanks for the responses. Interestingly my manual is different to the one posted above and doesn't mention doors locking as a customisable option. I have spoken to the dealer and they confirmed that this option has now been removed for the newest cars, but couldn't tell me why. However they can set it for me and the car goes in next week to have it done. If I find out why this has been removed I will post the answer.

I can set mine. I highly doubt they have changed the software on the 2014 models as the visuals are completely identical. Mine didnt lock before but Ive set it so that they lock at 10mph AND when the shifter is moved from PARK. Ive also set it to unlock when the shifter is moved back to park.

Well believe it or not they have completely removed this option. Last week the dealer told me that this was now an option that the dealer could only set. So my car went into the dealership (Edgeware Rd, London) yesterday for them to set it. They phoned me within a few hours to say it was not possible to set and the option had been completely removed from the software.

They tell me the reasons for this are because of safety. Apparently there have been accidents where the door locks have jammed in the locked position and the occupants have been unable to get out. Therefore they are removing this from all of their cars starting with the RX and GS and then the other models.

Its a bit of a disappointment as I liked the reassuring click of the door lock, but I guess I'll have to live without it.

I don't understand why they cannot just leave the default not to lock but let the owner make their own choice.

Personally I don't like the speed lock option as the doors continuously lock and unlock in traffic but lock when shifting out of Park and then unlock again when shifting back into Park is a good safety feature and stops items, or a child, being snatched when stationary.

The customisation to unlock the doors when shifting into Park still remains, you just have to remember and manually lock the doors yourself when setting off.

Interesting. I would have thought that they could ensure that the locks would fail safe open in the event of accident.

I am not sure I understand the rationale behind this on the assumption that people will still have - i hope - the option to lock the doors manually! Isnt the result the same in the event of an accident?

I for one always lock the doors: I got mugged some years ago when someone jumped into my car while i was sitting at a traffic light in an isolated area late at night. Also, a friend saw his (and other's) boot raided by a gang while he was sitting in a traffic jam. Wasn't this why autolock was invented!??

In most of the cars with autolock that I have driven, the car would lock above a certain speed, but did not unlock unless I manually unlocked it by opening a door or pressed a button. I have never come across a car that unlocks itself based on speed only. Apart from a London cab.

tbh I was thinking of a cab at the time :iraqi-info-minister: , I'm sure the RX doesn't unlock when at low speed - you can get it to unlock in P or opening the drivers door.

One option you do have to minimise the issue, if you mainly travel alone, is to set the option to make only the drivers door unlock with the smart entry and first press of the unlock button.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links