Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Starting Then Cutting Out

cialinf

I changed the engine in my is200 recently. The old engine was running on LPG but was converted back to petrol before i bought it. I changed the engine because it was burning a lot of oil. The new engine is running and driving perfectly. It started cutting out a week or so after i replaced the engine. Now it is starting but will cut out after few seconds. Ecu, ignition barrel, immobilizer and wiring loom changed. Cam and crank sensors cleaned. Fuel pump changed and all fuses checked. New key and Battery also got. I got a garage to put it on the computer to see if any fault codes showed up but none appeared. Anyone ever heard of this problem before and if so how to fix it. Any help welcome. Thanks for reading

If you connect a diagnostic machine to the car and hold the revs till it stops watch the fuel pressure see if this remains the same till the engine dies this will narrow it down to ignition or fuel related

Hi, I have a somewhat similar problem with my IS 220d (2006). On a cold morning (cold defined as temperature reading on the OBC is 12 degrees celsius) I push the button, the engine starts and then cuts out after a couple of seconds. I try it the second time and the same occurs. Third time and the engine does not turn.

When (and if) the temperature picks up during the day, I start the car in the same way and it starts with the engine running continuously without cutting out.

I've had the AA out a couple of times and even they have been unable to fix it. Took it to a mechanic and he connected he hooked it up to a diagnostics machine but there was no fault code - everything was fine.

The closest Lexus Garage to me is 45 miles away so any help / suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks Tony.

Just for my benefit, would you be able to explain the link between that and why the car starts when the outside temperature has risen?

What's the best way to fix this? (ideally avoiding an expensive trip down to the dealers)?

Hi don't know why it starts when the temp is above 12 c it could be that seal or part contracts when cold to allow air in also does the is220 have pre heat plugs . You say that the engine won't turn over after the third attempt this sounds like a bad Battery

• 1 month later...

Don't know if you're still investigating Cialinf but had this a few years ago on mine.

Turned out to be a gunked up throttle spindle on the inlet side of the carb. Bought a can of carb cleaner - followed the instructions down the barrel and around the throttle cable return spring area - and fault gone...

Hope that helps :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the end it turned out to be a broken wire which was coming from the ecu back into the car. Its running perfectly now.

Thanks for all the help lads. Appreciate all the help.

Cialin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

In the end it turned out to be a broken wire which was coming from the ecu back into the car. Its running perfectly now.

Thanks for all the help lads. Appreciate all the help.

Cialin

Hello Guys, I'm new here and i got an altezza as200 with a 1G-FE engine having the same cutting out issue. The broken wire you found where does it lead to ?