Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rad Flush

I've never used the stuff, not sure about the long term effects of it on alloy engines.

If you use the correct specification Toyota coolant either ready mixed or diluted with distilled water you shouldn't need to use flushing agents.

I drained the old stuff out of mine and it looked as good as when it went in 4 years earlier.

I guess your talking about my "this" comment short fuse.

You said you wanted to "clear out your heater matrix" suggesting that it was blocked or malfunctioning as I don't see any other reason as to why you would need or want to flush out the heater matrix.

Flushing your rad isn't gonna cure anything wrong with your heater matrix. I was just agreeing with the post above mine by Clifton.

If you want to flush the cooling system, drain it, run distilled water through it. Then drain the distilled water and fill with the appropriate coolant.

Sorry I was going by your topic title "Rad Flush" and from that didn't assume you were actually refering to the heater matrix.

What indications do you have the matrix has a problem? They more commonly get leaks more than becoming restricted in flow.

after 2 years of trying everything to cure my poor heater performance (is200)

i solved it by replacing my heater matrix with a recon unit

had it second hand took it to my local radiator repair guy

it took him 2 hours of constant flushing with a certain fluids to release all the crud

he stated that its almost impossible to complete the flush when the matrix is still in the car

installed it today 100% better its now as a heater should be

on both passenger and drivers side

i checked the flap on the heater box it self and it works fine (bye the way there is only one flap

its pretty straight forward.

1.disconnect the two heater feed pipes in the engine compartment

2.remove the tray underneath the steering wheel unclip the relevant switches from the tray along with the bonnet release mechanism

3.remove the clutch pedal its held on by two nuts and one bolt unclip the cotter pin that connects to the master cylinder

the whole unit will then come out

4 unscrew the three self tapping screws holding the metal feed pipes (remember to put some towels in the footwell to soak up any water that comes from the matrix

5 the matrix can then be pulled straight out from the heater box

take the matrix to your local rad repair shop

to install the reconned unit just reverse the procedure

thats it job done