Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

P568Ufc Potential Ls400 Purchase

Thanks all. It's the greyest shade of green I've ever seen, but the original service book and DVLA both agree with Lexus and call it green so who am I to argue....

It successfully brought me into work today, the only issue being a brief period of time when the temperature would adjust up but not down (soon resolved itself) and the instrument display brightness fluctuating slightly until I turned it up to fully bright. I think a detailed mechanical inspection would reveal all sorts of problems, but for now I'm going to enjoy the fact I can buy something so accomplished for so little money.

One important bit of work done was to remove those graphics on the front and rear screens - my children happily got stuck in on that job.

It's interesting to compare its size with my 2010 Avensis. I haven't parked them side-by-side yet so can't say on length, but the Lexus appears to be no wider across the mirrors (we have a tight entrance into the office car park so I'm conscious of this) and offers very little increase in legroom over the Avensis, yet it still looks much more imposing. Surpised to find the rear seats don't fold down (was used to that on my Camry saloons, quite a handy feature). Not as much headroom as I'd imagine, I like to sit quite high in a car but am finding the sunroof limits things a bit.

I suspect I'll be finding toys for some time. I couldn't fathom out how to raise the seatbelt mount on the pillar until my daughter pointed out the switch on the door. The electric window switches are rather familiar however, just the same as in my Camrys and I was surpised to see it only has one-shot operation on the driver's side down movement. Even my 1980 Datsun has one-shot up and down.

I'm finding that judging the position of the back end when reversing is not easy, the body tapers in and there's nothing much visible in the mirrors. Happily so far I've over-estimated and had a few feet spare. I think I've got too used to the camera on my Avensis...

Edit: Why do some Mk3's have clear front indicators and some orange? I wonder if mine were originally the latter but have been changed as a modification/result of accident damage. I noticed the screw was orange. This unit seems to be in two parts, is the rearmost bit a marker light in some countries?

• Like 1

My previous LS400 was without question the best car I had ever owned and the quality and reliability was truly second to none. I never even found the running costs crazy either for such a car, especially when compared to BMW 7s, Audi A8s and Merc S-Classes.

Size wise, the Lexus is a long car but it isn't especially wide or tall - part of the design which adds to the sleekness of it. Even now when I see them on the road, they really have a lot of presence - probably the main reason I bought back into the Lexus fold recently with my LS430.

There are plenty of toys for sure - I upgraded my LS400 with a Parrot Bluetooth and iPod Kit to update the car as these were not standard fit in 1998.

I did also fit reversing parking sensors so I would strongly recommend you investing in these. Judging parking spaces not easy with these cars.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car and I hope you continue to do so :-)

• Like 1

Not so sure Titch,..... when I bought my car ( N reg Mk3 ) from ACLex on here he told me that he had modified the driver's window to be one shot up and down from original spec.

Also he told me about the clear lenses scenario ............. some of you may remember the car I bought he had converted to DHP and I asked for it to be restored to original, which he kindly did, springs and all !!!

ACLex was our parts guru on here, he was the parts manager at Lexus Poole Dorset.

Malc

sorry, what does DHP stand for? Google says discretionary housing payment!!!

I have a pair of clear wing indicators that I prefer to the orange but pending a possible change of wing - have yet to fit. Also, I quite like the non original wheels though I prefer the size to be kept original and not the ultra skinny hard ride. Still considering some old five spoke Half-ords product or those five space wheels on later Lexus. Son horrified at thought of Half-ords and didnt like five half moons either. There's no pleasing todays youth -unless they cost £800. Forget it!

sorry, what does DHP stand for? Google says discretionary housing payment!!!

I have a pair of clear wing indicators that I prefer to the orange but pending a possible change of wing - have yet to fit. Also, I quite like the non original wheels though I prefer the size to be kept original and not the ultra skinny hard ride. Still considering some old five spoke Half-ords product or those five space wheels on later Lexus. Son horrified at thought of Half-ords and didnt like five half moons either. There's no pleasing todays youth -unless they cost £800. Forget it!

DHP - Dynamic Handling Pack

I did fit a set of aftermarket alloys to my LS400 but a lot of them can look very 2nd rate in my opinion. I bought a set of the Lexus 17" DHP alloys but never fitted them onto my car as I sold it last year. I sold the wheels for very good money to a very happy LS400 owner.

The clear indicators are a nice aftermarket option and very tasteful I think. My LS400 was the Mk IV version so I didn't need them.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links