Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Crack/paint Flaking Off Inside Engine Is250

I would really appreciate your advice. I am looking into buying an IS250 (always admired them!).

I viewed a 2008 IS250 auto with 43k miles on the clock today, with full Lexus service history.

I took the engine oil filler cap off and looked inside using a torch - there appears what looks like paint flaking off on the wall of the engine - there was a ragged line of this, which looked a bit like a crack.

I have never come across this before and would really appreciate some advice from you guys, as you are much more familiar with these cars than I am!

I wondered if it could be carbon deposits or oil residue - but it gave the appearance of what I can only describe has paint flaking off.

Also, the exhaust looked quite rusty, which surprised me as I thought they were stainless steel.

Have you come across this before in your own IS250'S?

I am really grateful to hear your thoughts and advice on this.

Thank you for any help in advance.

Will

I can help you with one answer

The exhausts on these are not stainless steel - ordinary mild ones.

As for the flaking paint or carbon deposit - I doubt it will be carbon and I very much doubt it will be paint (haven't heard of any manufacturer painting inner engines.

Have not seen or heard of this before - are you able to take a picture to post here? You could try and poke something at what you think is a crack or oil deposit to see if it comes off? Did you run the car before noticing this or after ?

Thanks for responding so quickly. Good to know about the exhausts.

I appreciate that it is very very unlikely to be paint, paint flaking off is just the best way I could think of trying to describe what I was seeing. And after some more googling, I agree, it certainly doesn't look like carbon deposits.

I did my best to take some pics - but haven't been able to capture the detail with my phone camera. Will upload asap.

I took the car for a run after having removed & replaced the oil filler cap, and it drove well with no noticeable strange sounds or problems, but I'm no mechanic!

Thanks again for your help, I appreciate it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links