Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've made a tough choice, but I'm getting rid of my Lexus IS220D.

I had the dreaded DPF error again (managed to get rid of it with a blast down the motorway in 4th), but it was the straw that broke the camels back. It's a lovely car, but it's just not been enjoyable to own. I don't think I'll ever be buying a Toyota built diesel engine again; the maintenance needed and kid gloves you have to treat it with are just too much.

I said in another thread that my wife no-longer does the long journeys to work in it and with only 50% of our journeys being long ones now it's not getting the work out it needs to remain efficient.

I'm moving on to a petrol Civic, which will be more suitable for the types of journeys we do and I really enjoyed the Honda I had before.

The Honda stealers told me that they're going to auction it so I should pull out anything I want to keep. As a result I'll be bunging the genuine Lexus mats on eBay one evening this week if anyone wants a set or a spare set. They're in good nick. I pull them out and clean them fairly regularly and they hardly show any signs of wear. I think they'll fit any IS model from this era) I'm hoping I'll get enough to cover a set of third party Civic mats or 50% of the genuine rip-off ones (although the ones I had in my last civic were almost worn out after 25000 miles so I probably won't bother with them).

Thanks for all the help and advice you guys have given me over my time as an owner. It's much appreciated.

Edited by ColinBarber

All very understandable.

Think you may have made a wise move...given the low mileage journeys you are now doing.

If you want to spoil yourself in the future try out the 250 Auto or if longer time period maybe the 300h. Both very nice motors.

Best of luck and happy motoring

Thanks, Normski.

I would definitely buy another Lexus I do think they make you feel special whilst you're inside. In the future I might try a Hybrid, and I'll be keeping my eye on where the all electric goes. If I had the money I would've bought a Tesla Model S... now there's a space-age motor!

It's a shame u getting rid of it I got is220d I do rip it now @ then plus use shell nitro diesel which hopefully so that dpf won't clog up plus it does make a difference Its bit more expensive but dpf gets blocked I think it's cheaper on long run plus keeps egr clear. Hope u come back in near future back to lexus

It's a shame u getting rid of it I got is220d I do rip it now @ then plus use shell nitro diesel which hopefully so that dpf won't clog up plus it does make a difference Its bit more expensive but dpf gets blocked I think it's cheaper on long run plus keeps egr clear. Hope u come back in near future back to lexus

Thanks... I may well be back, but it would certainly be a Hybrid or Petrol car.

should have got a is250, going from a lexus to a honda civic is quite a step down.

You know it really doesn't feel like a step down to me. I loved the comfort of the Lexus, but I've never had a car that spent so much time in the garage being fixed or attended to. My 220d is also the first car I've ever owned that broke down at the side of the motorway and left me being taken home on the back of a tow truck when 250 miles from home. It was a 13 hour nightmare I never want to repeat. Maybe I had a Friday afternoon car, but from the forums I don't think I did. I actually got off lightly in some respects. I've never had the cracking noise from the dash and I've been rattle free for 113k miles although the passenger door speaker rattles at certain frequencies.

The Civic has all the toys, bells and whistles I need and the European one is a bit different to the US models. I think it'll be more practical for our needs too. I always hated the tiny little hatch for access to the main cabin from the boot. Most of the long things I've needed to carry weren't that narrow!

You are right, I should've bought the 250, but at the time I didn't know that, and the diesel seemed to make more sense given the type of driving we were doing. You live and learn.

For similar reasons I decided to sell my is220 quite recently. I changed job and no longer did the miles and knowing how the diesel demands good runs I knew it had to go.

I decided to buy a stop gap filler for a year in the form of a saab 9-3 aero, it has all the toys I had on the Lexus plus its petrol and turbo charged. To be honest for the money I paid for it , it's absolutely fabulous value.

On the flip side I still have the Lexus is250 when I want a more refined and relaxed ride and I will still say this, every time I drive the is250 It just never fails to impress me how good a car it is.

I'm pretty sure in a year or so I'll be looking towards a newer Lexus either in the Gs, ls or maybe the new NX.

CARL

For similar reasons I decided to sell my is220 quite recently. I changed job and no longer did the miles and knowing how the diesel demands good runs I knew it had to go.

I decided to buy a stop gap filler for a year in the form of a saab 9-3 aero, it has all the toys I had on the Lexus plus its petrol and turbo charged. To be honest for the money I paid for it , it's absolutely fabulous value.

On the flip side I still have the Lexus is250 when I want a more refined and relaxed ride and I will still say this, every time I drive the is250 It just never fails to impress me how good a car it is.

I'm pretty sure in a year or so I'll be looking towards a newer Lexus either in the Gs, ls or maybe the new NX.

CARL

Your IS250 does look very smart. I may well be back too.