Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sell Or Garage For A Long While

In a bit of a delemour, as most of yous know I have a very minted extremly low mileage top spec LS600hl,

I foresee it not being used for quite along while possibly,

Maybe up to a year, do I sell it on or garage it

Wife refuses to drive it as its to big and she knows I'd go bonkers if she ever scratched/bashed it lol,

Reason behind all this is ive just very recently been diagnosed with lymphoma cancer (told 3 days ago) 😞

Once I start my treatment thes no way in hell I'd be driving, as I feel dreadful all ready and chemos going to make me worse,

Kinda guessed I was ill with something for a wee while, but Hayho,

Now do I park up my pride and joy, or sell it on and upgrade to newer on once I'm all sorted and clear,

I'm in two minds what to do with it,

The thought of having this parked up doing NOWT for up to a year and even selling it is doing my head in, had it valued last week and it's still worth just under what I payed for it earlier this year

So guys what do you suggest and what would you do in my position

No doom n gloom on my medical condition please

I wish you all the luck in the world in getting better. I would keep the car you may find you need a nice pickmeup one day and slipping into the Lexus just to listen to that fabulous stereo in the sumptious leather seat just the trick.

Best wishes Mike.

• Like 3

Sell for the right price. Your car will depreciate in 12 months, possibly by £2k. If you bank the £20k 'ish' in one of the 4% to 5% accounts on offer (you, your wife, and a joint account) you'll have about £21k to spend when you're fit and well again.

Good Luck Graham, all the best.

• Like 1

All the best healthwise .................... SELL IT if the price is right; depreciation might knock £5k or more off the value in that time ......... the excitement of finding another one when the time is right will be GREAT ............ good luck

Malc

• Like 1

For what it's worth, my wife went through chemo and radiotherapy last year. The one and only priority was getting better, which she has. Any material possessions seemed worthless after her diagnosis. If it was me, knowing the long recovery process, I'd be looking to sell, and then look forward to the pleasure of buying another one when you've recovered, benefiting from someone else's depreciation.

All the best.

Phil

• Like 1

Not an easy decision, I must confess.

I had a 400 parked up for a year, but then it only depreciated by peanuts over that time, but being a LS if fired up no problems every few months. If I had garaged it, would have given it a good wash underneath and wax all over to make sure reduced issues with dirt/moisture issues in confined space.

However with your potential depreciation it has to be balanced against the time it took you to find the 600 you now have and the possible challenge of finding one once your health is back up to scratch.

And then will the missus not be to happy about a depreciating asset sitting around in the meanwhile. In my case this would be my driving force to sell it, knowing that someone would snap it up pretty darned quick and then the excitement (and possible frustration) of finding a replacement

Best of luck with the recovery

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear your news and best wishes for the treatment.

Emotionally and perhaps surprisingly I'd say sell it. Cancer treatment is about maintaining as much normality as possible and having your beloved car around but not driving it is an unhappy and constant reminder that things are not normal. It is also dare I say it just a "thing".

Also rationally and financially a year is a long time. If you sell you have lost little value and can enjoy searching for a new one come the all clear. Spend the money saves on fuel and depreciation on yourself between cycles.

Best wishes

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of you big C, spent many years working at a hospital in Notts so i fully understand what you are about to start, and i do hope as all our forum members will also hope you get healed up as the result.

For me personally, i would sell the car, would be sad as you will be, and store the money for any possible eventuality that may arise from the treatment process.

WHEN you recover then with the money saved and any added to it you can treat yourself to the nice new and better motor as a special gift for the hard work you have just gone through.

PS, when you do recover, take a small gift to the staff on the treatment ward, card and choccies, it will really make them feel better, for each that gets better, a few don't and sadly pass on, it does hurt them to lose one, but anyone that makes it and thanks them does give them strength to fight for the next one that comes through.

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

I`m with Bluesman on this.

If you can afford to keep it, then keep it and look at it/sit in it whenever you feel you can. Talk to it and tell it that one day you will drive it again. It will be as obedient as a watchful pet and greet your return.

Buy a Solar Charger and connect it to the OBD Port to keep the Battery trickle charged. Or alternatively if it`s garaged then buy a CETEK Charger to do the same.

If you sell it then, you just might miss it dearly.

All the best with your recovery and remember that half full is better than half empty.

Regards and best wishes,

John

• Like 1

Wishing you all the best.

I'd have to say that if you love the car, keep it. By that, I mean that if you have a proper emotional attachment to this specific car. I already feel that my 400 has looked after me, and it's my turn to look after it. So I understand this completely irrational PoV. And I can imagine you feeling great when you're ready to drive the 600 again.

But if it's just a luxury car that's been nice to drive around in so far - then it could be any 600 - so I'd sell it and buy again later.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about your medical news and like everyone else here, we all wish you a speedy recovery

As for the car, the heart might say keep it but I would go with the head and sell it - cars like this need to be used and driven. They don't like being sat around for long periods of time and even siting around doing nothing, the car will still depreciate.

Good luck and all the best to you

• Like 1

Graham,

I'm inclined to say 'sell it' because cars like this need to be used. Plus, you're far more likely to be able to get a replacement 600 than we are a replacement 400. But whatever you decide to do, I hope you'll stay in contact with us on here. All the best.

• Like 1

Best wishes and I hope your treatment goes well.

My mum has the same condition and although the treatment is harsh on the body she had many times where she was well.

If you have found your dream car and can afford to keep it then that's what I would personally do.

You then have somthing to look forward too and can have a tinker inbetween your treatments even if you don't drive it you can still admire it.

• Like 1

I don't think any of the guys on here gave bad advice, although in these situations I'd be inclined to sell, hold on to the cash and get a nice shiny car when your better, and the car will always be associated with the time you got better...

• Like 2

All the best man...as others have said, of this car is more than transport, if you have a bond with it, keep it....could,prove very therapeutic...of not, sell, sell, sell....as others have said it will heavily depreciate and of you have no bond with it, you can buy a virtually identical one when you recover for 2-5 k less than you sell it for....either way, you win..

• Like 1

Thanks for all replays .....

As yet still not sure what I'm doing with car

Seriously cant see me ever finding a car like this again in a years time or however long it takes me to recover

It's a 5yr old car and only 2 small stone chips with only 27k on clock and interior looks like no ones ever sat in it....

Had car valued 2wks ago and kinda happy with the valuation £5 short of 30k 😃

I kinda love this car lol ie spec and color I always wanted and more importantly when I drive this I can see the envy in everyone's face as I go by lol....

Reading what I've just written I think my mind is made up

KEEPING IT

I have a large heated garage so will park her up and caress her bodywork lol when I'm feeling down n low (gunna be a few weeks /months of that I foresee

Thanks for the offers of looking after her and keeping her running lol but NO-ONE and I mean no one gets to drive her whilst my names still on the docs lol

Wife n kids are lucky I let them be passengers hahahahaha

Thanks again guys

• Like 1

Thanks for all replays .....

As yet still not sure what I'm doing with car

Seriously cant see me ever finding a car like this again in a years time or however long it takes me to recover

It's a 5yr old car and only 2 small stone chips with only 27k on clock and interior looks like no ones ever sat in it....

Had car valued 2wks ago and kinda happy with the valuation £5 short of 30k

I kinda love this car lol ie spec and color I always wanted and more importantly when I drive this I can see the envy in everyone's face as I go by lol....

Reading what I've just written I think my mind is made up

KEEPING IT

I have a large heated garage so will park her up and caress her bodywork lol when I'm feeling down n low (gunna be a few weeks /months of that I foresee

Thanks for the offers of looking after her and keeping her running lol but NO-ONE and I mean no one gets to drive her whilst my names still on the docs lol

Wife n kids are lucky I let them be passengers hahahahaha

Thanks again guys

Thats one problem sorted now just concentrate on getting better. Dont forget to let us know how you are getting on even if its just to say how rough you feel, you will always get a sympathetic hearing on The LOC. Good luck Mike

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links