Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Grinding Noise Front Right Tyre Is200

omeo

Hi

When I am for example approaching a traffic light and I slow down gently just when the car is about to stop with my foot on the brake I get a grinding noise. As soon as I start driving off it grinds then dissappears completely. When I'm driving normally there's no grinding. What's strange is if I apply my foot on the brake more forcefully when coming to a stop there's no grinding.

I just had my vehicle checked 1.5 weeks ago by the dealer. Front brake pads are 9mm, wheel alignment is fine, suspension is fine, rear brake pads were replaced 5 days ago. I have even replaced the backing plate in April.

Any ideas??

Thanks

I only get this noise when slowing down and taking off, not while driving . It occurs as well after I have been driving for a while

I had the same issue, thought it was a wheel bearing after discounting the brakes...even had a bearing changed! Transpired it was a build of rust on the top edge of the discs rubbing slightly against the protective back plate. Only happened under certain conditions...worth a look at. You can bend them back away from the disc.

I jacked up the vehicle and span the driver side wheel were I'm getting noise. The wheel span so easily with a kind of whirling noise. Don't know if it is the bearing or the brake disc which was touching the disc and hence rubbing on the disc.

I jacked up the passenger side and span the wheel. This time it was really difficult to turn but there also was a noise but not a whirling noise. The bearing on this wheel was changed a few months ago.

Any ideas

When I was trying to grab the wheel from 3-6 position to check for play there was none. What is strange is I have driven the car straight after checking the wheels for nearly an hour. I have driven on dual carriageway, normal roads. Have braked harshly and slow braking a lot of times to a halt that was originally causing me the noise. Now the noise has completely dissapeard when I brake. Seems to do it though when I take off and slightly turn but even this is not always true.

I don't know what I done with the wheel. All I did was spin it, play with the backing plate a bit and rub of the rust on the rotor disc which quiet a bit fell off .

If it is not cured why would the noise only come after driving for a while?

But that side indicating a caliper issue is not causing the grinding noise. This is strange.

I got a free health check available from lexus so ill take the car to them and get it diagnosed

I was driving down the road and decided to do some quick tight left and right turns. When doing this I was getting a quiet loud creaking noise from the front tyre area. Any ideas before I take the car to the mechanic

A lot of possibilities exist, I thought I had warped front discs at one point on my LS but it turned out to be a worn UCA ball joint.

Get your mechanic to give the whole front suspension a good lever with a prise bar to check for any abnormal suspension movements,check the wheel bearings and caliper condition.

From your very 1st post I would have suggested a faulty ABS sensor but they normally flag a code, have you had the OBDII codes read for anything stored?

I have not had any codes read. When I took it to the dealer for a health check about 2 weeks ago I had the noise. The report states that the wheel alignment was fine , wheel bearings were fine, brakes/clutch/transmission op were fine, steering was fine, front and rear suspension fine plus drive shafts.

It doesn't include ball joints etc but hopefully the above limits the possibilities? ??

Thanks steve

I have booked it in with Lexus as I had a free health check. I will mention about the prise bar as the components might only show issues when weight is applied

Lexus advised the n/s/f brake caliper siezed. The o/s/f shock absorber is leaking and both thrust arm bushes split and cracking. They quoted 1437 pounds. I'm going to an independent but is is better to go for oem parts or after market????

If you pay that you're crazy!!!

Ok bushes can be replaced. They're probably quoting you somewhere in the region of £5/600 for the arms with bushes as Lexus won't replace just bushes. You should be able to buy some bushes from eBay for around £40 and a local garage will charge half an hour to an hours labour to change them.

Shock absorber leaking, buy a recon one or a second hand one from a breakers for not a lot of money. Again about an hours labour at a garage.

With the siezed calliper, I bet they're quoting £200+ for a new one.

if it's sticking cos of corroded slide pins a local garage again can clean the sliders up for minimal price or you could buy the slide pin set from eBay for about £25.

If it's the piston inside the calliper seizing then you'll need a Refurbed calliper £50 from Bigred or a new calliper £200ish or a second hand calliper from a breakers.

Basically if that was my car I'd be getting all that done for around £200.

£1437 is absolute daylight robbery. Disgusting!!

Your right mate daylight robbery. My car has 162K miles so even though I can change the bushes on the control arms etc.. and get recon parts I decided to get new parts since I don't think the originals have ever been changed.

I managed to get my hands on brand new kyb shock absorbers , some lower control arms and a new caliper which are all overy 100 each rrp price . Lucky for me my mate can source parts similar to the factory price. So all these parts plus labour for 350 pounds.

Huge difference compared to the dealership