Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cold Air Induction For Is200?!?!?

jamieb199

Reallly struggling to find a cold air intake that doesnt route over the exhaust manifolds.

Really want the induction sound but dont want to sacrifice power by routing the piping over the manifold which will heat up the air the whole time.

Does anyone know of any that dont route over the manifolds or any that arnt affected by the manifold if routing over it

All advice and info welcome

Im aware that the ecu cant be remapped so i'm not looking for power gains i just don't want it to lose any power.

are there threads for front angled DIY cold air feeds? I have seen some that are DIY but angle over the manifold

well I saw a thread that had the "stock V Prolex" test and found the air going into the throttle body was colder with the prolex part.

Having been on the site and spoken to prolex they dont do it anymore... gutted...

Im not looking for any gains just not masses of hot air being constantly taken in.

Hahaha prolex! They're a bit of a joke amongst long term owners mate. Turned out the company that is prolex is just a bloke trying to sell parts that he doesn't have in stock from his spare bedroom.

I promise you unless boosting the best intake for an IS200 is the stock one!!! I don't know what else to say to convince you!

If all you want is the induction baaaaaaaaaaaaappppppp then I wouldn't waste a lot of time and money on an induction kit. Get yourself down to screwfix and get yourself one of these.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/disston-grit-edged-holesaw-25mm/10434

25mm is big enough. Bore a few holes on the left side of the filter and it will give you the induction sound you want. :baaa:

You really only need to starting thinking about lower the temperature of the intake air when you're working with forced induction. Colder air is denser and has more oxygen in it, hence why turbocharged engines love cold damp air on winter mornings rather than hot air on summer days - and why they have intercoolers to facilitate that cold, dense, air.

On an N/A engine, dropping the intake air, even by a couple degree's (which you really aren't likely to do with just a filter) you aren't going to notice any difference at all. The fuelling system won't even compensate for it, the difference will be so so minor.

Really, just enjoy the car for what it is, but don't try to tune it. It doesn't work.

As true as that all is i think youv skimmed over the part that I said im not looking for a performance upgrade from it.

I just love the sound it makes but what i dont want to happen is make the power less.

If I was to start tuning it for performance id buy a different car as the is200 isnt a great platform for tuning unless you go for engine swaps

We had someone asking for one at work so I had a look.

Long story short, could not find one from K&N, Pipercross, HKS, or indeed Green.

Saw a few on eBay but they didn't look great tbh.

I genuinely wouldn't bother removing the factory airbox. The design of it looks pretty good already. If you look where it's drawing air from that's about right.

I think you'd probably lose some low-end going to a big cone filter-ey thing vs that.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wondered about removing the plastic between the air filter box and the scoop, and replacing it with a silicone pipe. That in my mind would remove the resonator chamber which must disrupt the air flow. Would that make any difference?

If I remember correctly Apexi intakes were pretty popular for the IS200's (back in the day :whistling: ) though you will have to get some piping & route it yourself

I did a quick search & someone did report that a Pipercross replacement panel filter gave a 'better' noise than stock