Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice On This Potential Purchase Please ...

This has come up on eBay and it is just down the road from me in Sandbach:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261642732933?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm hoping to view it tomorrow so any advice welcomed ASAP? Price looks about right to me?

If this had been for sale when I was looking I'd have been rearranging my day to go and see it ASAP. Of course, you can never tell how much of a description is waffle, but the important elements are all covered. My only issue is that fugly LPG filler cap - it looks like a wart.

The dark blue suits the shape very well (like MB's Midnight Blue), but will be a b*gg*r to keep clean (like MB's Midnight Blue - ask me how I know!)

I knew which car it was before clicking on the link, having just finished looking at it before coming on here.

Good spot on the paint drip on the tyre, as the wheels were supposedly refurbished a year ago?

Might be perfectly innocent, touching up a bit of a kerbing maybe, but certainly a reason to look for other signs.

That said, if all he says is true, and he can back it up with the paperwork, it sounds a cracker.

Only other obvious thing is, I saw no mention of service history, apart from what he's done himself.

Oh, and insist on the car being stone cold when you test drive, as that's when any problems with the lpg system tend to be more obvious, particularly on switch over.

Hope it's as good as it sounds, and you drive it home, best of luck.

• Like 1

If I was looking for one I'd be buying this .............. don't like the colour but that's personal and the LPG filler cap, well, I rather like the one's we've seen on here right within the petrol filler cap area.

BUT hey, it looks and reads a fabulous car with lots of stuff done and hopes you should have a lifetime ( and I mean that ) of superb motoring.

Malc

Thanks for the quick feedback chaps. I've heard back from the seller and I'm hoping to view the car this morning.

My previous LS400 had a filler cap in the same place. I agree it is not the most pretty solution and wouldn't be my first choice either.

Good spot on the wheel/paint. Eagle eyes! I'll check that out.

As Mikeyv mentioned, the paperwork stuff should be in order and I'll check carefully.

In terms of the colour, SWMBO had a look and said something along the lines of 'oh, that's a nice colour'! which was a better respond than the one I had to my lovely black LS400 with gold badges when I bought that home.

Fingers crossed but thanks for the advice so far. Do keep it coming.

Well, annoyingly, despite emailing and getting a reply around 11pm last night I spoke to the seller this morning and I'm second in line for a viewing. Other potential purchaser is going to view the car this morning.

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Nice looking car Jonathan. I still miss my LS400 which I sold last year but I am back in the fold with my LS430.

Like any used car, the main thing to check is the overall condition of the bodywork and the alloy wheels, especially Lexus alloys as they often seem to suffer corrosion or peeling paint (mentioned by another member too). I'd make sure that all the electrics work and that you try every button including the electric steering adjustment, electric seats, heated seat functions and the sunroof.

Lexus parts are not the cheapest but thankfully these 400s are super reliable so it's rare for things to break or to stop working for no reason.

These 7 hole alloys are becoming very hard to find - I sold a brand new set on a well known auction site a few months ago and I was very surprised by the level of interest I got.

Good luck and I hope you get to buy this

Mine is also blue, and it's a little better than black for hiding a bit of muck, but tends to look a bit ordinary unless clean,

As ever with dark colours though, a good polish is very rewarding.

Shame about being second, but with any luck first in line will be a tyre kicker with shallow pockets.

I have noticed the 400 has swapped places with the 430 in terms of numbers for sale, and good ones are definitely getting scarcer.

Bugger, sold to the first viewer! I don't think I could have been quicker in trying to get to see it. Never mind. The hunt continues.

Sorry to hear you've missed out but I'm sure the next one you find will be as good or better. Keep a look out on the usual sites like Autotrader and eBay - bound to be another good one up for sale

• Like 1

Bugger, sold to the first viewer! I don't think I could have been quicker in trying to get to see it. Never mind. The hunt continues.

Sorry to hear you've missed out but I'm sure the next one you find will be as good or better. Keep a look out on the usual sites like Autotrader and eBay - bound to be another good one up for sale

Thanks. As you say, they do come up occasionally. I've been second twice on two good ones but my time will come!

• Like 1

Crikey, sounded like one worth having, shame someone else beat you too it.

I know that when I came across my Mk4 on eBay I was down to Somerset like a shot.

Best of luck and fingers crossed that first in line decide not to buy

My mk4 is the same colour but doesn't have DHP like this one presumably has, as shown by the 7 spoke alloys. Love the wooden steering wheel on it. My standard all leather wheel is beginning to show its age now, with a few worn patches. Whoever bought that car has got a good motor for that price. Won't have to do too much to keep it in pristine condition. Lucky new owner I'd say. Let's hope he joins the LOC.

Cars like this make me realise how undervalued the earlier ls400 are..don't get me wrong, a big chunk of car for the dough, and worth it for the lpg, but I would say me recently departed mk3 looks to have been at least twice the car...wrong colour for many and four speed puts some off, but I'd rather have a low miles cared for example than a newer higher miles one?...my car made £1320 on eBay, I reckon it was WORTH twice that at least but these barges are so undervalued....

Best of luck finding the one you want man, am sure it will appear on the horizon at some point...

The thing about this car George, was the amount of recent work done on it.

I would think you'd be looking at around four thousand pounds plus, to get cambelt kit, starter motor, suspension overhaul, gas conversion, wheel refurb, without all the other service items mentioned.

So, if all was as it seemed, a very well sorted car, that shouldn't need anything other than routine maintenance for many years to come.

I'm not saying it wasn't worth it....just that similar older cars are criminally undervalued...whereas that was only undervalued....one day the 600 will be undervalued and am already putting money away haha