Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

Ian, how does the ride quality compare to your is300. I have an NX for a 24 hour test tomorrow but am debating whether to keep my is300 another 6 months or so and wait for an RX premier (new version) to drop into my price range

Chris,

I've only done c. 150 miles but actually I'm pleasantly surprised by the ride quality. For me, if anything, it's superior. 

However, this is subjective of course. Reviews suggest that small bumps (which SUVs should eat up easily) go right through the cabin and that is basically true. However, avoid these and I find the ride astonishingly smooth and also exceptionally quiet (given, fundamentally, it is a hatchback). 

So I can't say "no worries there" because your experience with the bumps may be different; but I did have some fears myself only to be very pleasantly surprised!

So after ~100 miles in the NX Luxury, mixed motorway and A road, mostly motorway, with a 25 minute crawl due to an accident on the M62 I got  45 mpg so quite happy with that. Nice car to drive and Eco mode seems more responsive than my is300, seats are very nice, also the engine seems better sound insulated as its definitely not as apparent. Some negatives though for me compared to the is300 Premier.

1. Wind noise whilst not terrible is more apparent, side mirrors definitely

2. Road/tyre noise much more noticeable

3. Small bumps or stippled road surfaces are felt isndie the cabin, a bit like a fast gentle juddering, makes it seem a little jittery and I think it might become tiring on long journeys

4. The standard sound system is poor IMHO

5. Standard sat nav and info system are less easy to use than that in the Premier is300

6. Cheap parcel shelf (very picky I know)

I will try to test drive an RX450 next but if I do settle for an NX it will have to be a Premier

Chris,

Did you look at an F-Sport?

For fear of drifting off topic:

1&2. I haven't really found that, but it is subjective of course.

3. Agreed. It's bizarre, because the car is so smooth otherwise.

4. There I have to say I have found the opposite (noting I was coming from an IS Lux rather than Premier - I assume the latter has ML). I am sure (and so is my wife) that the sound system is a marked improvement like-for-like.

5. I have the Premium Satnav (as I had on the IS). One niggle is it seems you have to press "Start" for it to begin (have I missed a setting?). I'm also not sure I like the controller, but perhaps with time I will get used to it.

6. Hadn't noticed that!

Ian

I agree that 1&2 are subjective and re road noise, its only on rougher surfaces really, smooth surfaces were no worse than the is300.

Re the sound system. I was perhaps a little harsh but the ML despite not being worth the massive price difference is impressive. Rayaans advises that the Premium nav audio in an RX450 Fsport is equal to the ML sound perhaps it is the 8 speaker standard system that is lacking.

I really wanted to like the NX more. When I took the is300 Premier on a 24 hour test I had decided I wanted it within a mile of leaving the dealer but that was coming from a CT200. I thought the difference there was huge. That just didnt happen this time. Fear I need too wait for an RX to drop into my price range

Returned the NX to the dealer this morning and they very kindly took me for a drive in the RX, even though they have nothing in stock to sell me at the moment. I am now only going to consider the RX and will gladly put up with the reduced mileage. The car is in a different league, I could tell immediately that was what I was going to have to have. Just need to wait for one within my budget.

16 hours ago, chris_fletcher said:

Ian

I agree that 1&2 are subjective and re road noise, its only on rougher surfaces really, smooth surfaces were no worse than the is300.

Re the sound system. I was perhaps a little harsh but the ML despite not being worth the massive price difference is impressive. Rayaans advises that the Premium nav audio in an RX450 Fsport is equal to the ML sound perhaps it is the 8 speaker standard system that is lacking.

I really wanted to like the NX more. When I took the is300 Premier on a 24 hour test I had decided I wanted it within a mile of leaving the dealer but that was coming from a CT200. I thought the difference there was huge. That just didnt happen this time. Fear I need too wait for an RX to drop into my price range

Did the NX you tested have the rotary controller? If so it'll only have 6 speakers and misses out in a subwoofer I believe, though not completely sure.

The 8 speaker setup in the premium nav vehicles is infinitely better. 

With regard to the 12 speaker system in the 4RX F Sport, yes it sounds the same as ML in my previous RX. I've not noticed any difference at all!

Rayaans  Yes it was the rotary controller standard nav. Do you know if the 4RX Luxury has 12 speakers? I cant seem to find any details in the vehicle equipment section.

Thanks for the tip on the Luxury in Ipswich. The one in birmingham is only £1k more, newer and less miles. Bradford who loaned me the NX called me to say they might be getting a luxury with 5k miles soon so may wait to see that. Wish I could afford the Premier though or even an FSport with Premier pack, I do quite like the rose interior :-)

I find it very hard to compare IS to NX generally, but they are remarkably different. 

I knew I would miss a few things about the IS, most notably the turning circle (and everything associated with it being RWD drive) as well as the mpg of course. 

However, one big thing for me is the interior. I went off the IS's (the mid section just looks too much like a Casio wrist watch for me) and I personally just don't like the RX's (not that that was ever in my price range). For me, and this is subjective as ever, the NX is miles ahead there. 

Fundamentally I think this comes down to whether you like being enveloped (in which case you'll like the NX as I do) or whether you like the spaciousness (in which case you'll like the RX as others do). 

I think it's a good move of Lexus to make them markedly different in that way. For example, for all their apparent "choice", you can't help but think Audis are all essentially the same car built in different shapes and sizes. With Lexus, you have the choice of fundamentally different vehicles - I'm not sure it's as good for the bottom line, but I like that. 

On 7/7/2017 at 7:52 PM, chris_fletcher said:

So after ~100 miles in the NX Luxury, mixed motorway and A road, mostly motorway, with a 25 minute crawl due to an accident on the M62 I got  45 mpg so quite happy with that. Nice car to drive and Eco mode seems more responsive than my is300, seats are very nice, also the engine seems better sound insulated as its definitely not as apparent. Some negatives though for me compared to the is300 Premier.

1. Wind noise whilst not terrible is more apparent, side mirrors definitely

2. Road/tyre noise much more noticeable

3. Small bumps or stippled road surfaces are felt isndie the cabin, a bit like a fast gentle juddering, makes it seem a little jittery and I think it might become tiring on long journeys

4. The standard sound system is poor IMHO

5. Standard sat nav and info system are less easy to use than that in the Premier is300

6. Cheap parcel shelf (very picky I know)

I will try to test drive an RX450 next but if I do settle for an NX it will have to be a Premier

Item 3. Yes, agree completely. I've said elsewhere that there is something slightly unresolved about an NX's ride. You can feel some tyre bounce on account of the quite tall profile and you can feel the suspension working on undulating roads and yet you feel every slight ripple. The car just doesn't seem able to soak up any short sharp ridge in the road. Motorway expansion joints really highlight this. Shame because the car is so refined and comfortable most of the time. It sort of feels like the tyres are over inflated and yet I set mine to exactly what Lexus states they should be. Tried dropping a couple of psi and still the problem persisted and yet I could feel a tad more tyre bounce so I don't think it's tyre related. If I keep mine I'll definitely go for a different tyre make when replacement beckons to see if that does make a difference. Maybe it needs a bit of Lotus expertise to fine tune the suspension setup?

22 hours ago, chris_fletcher said:

I ended up buying an RX450 F Sport yesterday. Very happy with it, the ride is much smoother than the NX but it is very large :-)

Very large , and expensive ??  . I had an RX for courtesy car last month , very nice , but for the money think I would go for a Jagaur F Pace 

2 hours ago, Dealkent said:

Very large , and expensive ??  . I had an RX for courtesy car last month , very nice , but for the money think I would go for a Jagaur F Pace 

I'm sure you must have read my review on the F Pace in the RX section. Overrated vehicle IMO. It's certainly no patch on the refinement of Lexus and the engines are poor for the money unless going 3l. Quality control seems a big issue. Even on the 17 plate I drove, poor materials and some stitching misalignment which should have no place in a vehicle and i imagine if it was a Lexus, it would have been crushed and the "takumi" craftsmen shot.

On 14/12/2014 at 9:13 PM, RcF said:

Hello. I got my wife a nx f sport in blue onThursday. Since then we have done 400 miles. And we cannot get 30.9 mpg at best.

I have had a ISF for 4 years and it got 24 mpg over 100,000 miles. So I would hope that a engine half the size and less than half the power Would get a lot more than 7 mpg more.

Do you ever think she will get 40 mpg?.

I'm currently averaging 55.6 mpg with my IS 300 h , after reading these figures for the NX which I have been interested in getting next im very happy with the mpg I'm getting now . 

1 hour ago, rayaans said:

I'm sure you must have read my review on the F Pace in the RX section. Overrated vehicle IMO. It's certainly no patch on the refinement of Lexus and the engines are poor for the money unless going 3l. Quality control seems a big issue. Even on the 17 plate I drove, poor materials and some stitching misalignment which should have no place in a vehicle and i imagine if it was a Lexus, it would have been crushed and the "takumi" craftsmen shot.

I was very happy with our XF 3:0 , and was mourning my loss  when I got the IS 300 . It seems Jaguar have lost their way a bit now . The interiors of current models are no where near as luxurious. And, the upcoming E Pace and I Pace will be built in Austria. What a shame . 

5 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

I was very happy with our XF 3:0 , and was mourning my loss  when I got the IS 300 . It seems Jaguar have lost their way a bit now . The interiors of current models are no where near as luxurious. And, the upcoming E Pace and I Pace will be built in Austria. What a shame . 

Talking about the E-Pace, its oddly priced. Its Q3 and X1 size yet seems to have the pricing of an NX (actually costs more spec for spec), very odd and thats for the cheaper petrol version. The diesels command a premium of £3k unless going for the 150hp manual one "rep spec" version.

Jaguar have started focusing on profits and making the company bigger rather than the interior quality. Frankly, some of the plastics and buttons you find on some Jag models now feel less substantial than in a Skoda Superb

Back to the topic (though I'm enjoying the detours as my father-in-law is contemplating an F-Pace)...

Howard,

I was averaging 45-46mpg in a MY14 IS 300h Lux. 

I'm averaging 38mpg exactly in a MY17 NX 300h F Sport. 

If anything, that latter should increase slightly (as I get more used to the car). 

So that should give you the difference. 

I was averaging 44mpg in my IS300h Premier and clocked 50mpg on the way to Birmingham to swap it for an RX450H F Sport. That was the first time in 2 years I had seen 50mpg as my daily commute is through Bradford with stop start traffic and lengthy queues so I was pretty happy with 44mpg. I had an NX for 24 hours and got over 40 mpg so not bad. My new (used) RX450H F Sport got 45mpg back to Yorkshire and my first full tank with 60 miles travelled on a mix of motorway and A roads with little stop start is currently at 39.8mpg which I dont think is bad for such a large car. It remains to be seen what happens when I am back at work next week. Fingers crossed it doesnt fall below 35mpg average

Couple weeks back I drove to Cardiff and back, and have done just over 500 miles since I got my NX, I consistently have just over 41 MPG in my sport. Which is better than the Honda Civic diesel I used to own.

• 3 weeks later...

Have a nx 2016 330h luxury - do a lot of town driving so loving the peaceful drive! I find that with BP ultimate fuel (the expensive one!) I am getting 44mpg - with other fuels I seem to slip down to 39mph? Have not had the car long, has anyone else had similar experiences? Quite pleased with the 44mpg as my last car was a diesel BMW320x estate - same driving around 35mpg.

Now averaging 42-43 for every tankful. Not religiously checking it, just observing at each tankfill before I reset. Happy with this. Definitely has improved during the summer months. Well, as summer as a UK summer tends to be since 2007...

• 1 month later...
On 09/07/2017 at 1:10 AM, rayaans said:

Did the NX you tested have the rotary controller? If so it'll only have 6 speakers and misses out in a subwoofer I believe, though not completely sure.

The 8 speaker setup in the premium nav vehicles is infinitely better. 

With regard to the 12 speaker system in the 4RX F Sport, yes it sounds the same as ML in my previous RX. I've not noticed any difference at all!

Looking at the latest brochure for the NX, the standard nav (i.e. with the rotary controller) comes with an 8 speaker Pioneer audio system and the Premium nav comes with a 10 speaker Pioneer audio system.

Over my first 100 miles, with the car in 'normal' mode I'm getting 45-50 mpg. My daily commute is 15 miles on country lanes and a b-road so generally 30-40 mph is the maximum you can achieve due to the nature of the roads. I guess that type of driving suits the NX hybrid pretty well, especially as the final 3 miles down into Bristol are all downhill (on my way TO work, anyway!).

On the drive down the M4 after collecting the car from Lexus Swindon the computer was only showing 38-40 at 60-70 mph and driven very carefully (as one does with a brand new car).

Diesel still has a place for those doing plenty of motorway miles IMHO.

Just to echo a few other comments, over the past two days I've had the car set to 'Eco' mode and have seen no difference in mpg attained. The average after c180 miles - journey types as described above - is 46.9mpg. I'm very happy with that.

:yes:

• 2 weeks later...

I've not long returned from my annual trip to Scotland covering 1887 miles in 10 days. The trip from Leeds to Aviemore return was mainly motorway/dual carriageway to just north of Perth. The remainder of the journeys covered were class A and B roads with many miles of single track roads with passing places and also some pretty hairy inclines!

From filling the tank to the brim at the start and end of the complete journey the NX returned 41.3 to the gallon. I'm quite happy with that figure. Most of the journeys were in "normal" mode with "sport" mode used for some of the steep climbs.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 8:25 PM, paulrnx said:

Item 3. Yes, agree completely. I've said elsewhere that there is something slightly unresolved about an NX's ride. You can feel some tyre bounce on account of the quite tall profile and you can feel the suspension working on undulating roads and yet you feel every slight ripple. The car just doesn't seem able to soak up any short sharp ridge in the road. Motorway expansion joints really highlight this. Shame because the car is so refined and comfortable most of the time. It sort of feels like the tyres are over inflated and yet I set mine to exactly what Lexus states they should be. Tried dropping a couple of psi and still the problem persisted and yet I could feel a tad more tyre bounce so I don't think it's tyre related. If I keep mine I'll definitely go for a different tyre make when replacement beckons to see if that does make a difference. Maybe it needs a bit of Lotus expertise to fine tune the suspension setup?

Had two new Goodyear Efficient Grip SUV tyres fitted this morning. Early days but the ride is much softer on these at the front than with the original fit Yokahama BluEarth tyres. Can't feel anything like the amount of short sharp ridges I could feel before. Quieter too.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links