Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

Up to nearly 28,000 miles  in 10 months and my actual tank to tank is still hovering around 39.5 - that's over many motorway miles and fast A road journeys - I do at least 400 miles a week on motorway and a leaden foot certainly drops the average.......

Paint looks fine - a couple of minor stone chips on the leading edge which is not untypical of any of my cars that have done these sort of mileages in the past......best paint for hardness was surprisingly on my Evoque which was virtually unblemished after 3 years and 100,000 miles

My average since owning my NX is 33, slightly less in the winter (31) slightly more in the summer (35), which for the type of journeys I do (mostly short) is about right. When I go on a longer journey I get around the 40 mark regularly, in fact I just did a 300 mile round trip (mostly motorway) and achieved 39.8. My best mpg was on a 30 mile trip on a motorway, restricted to 50mph due to roadworks, and I stayed above 50! only just mind, but I was amazed. 

Edited by Goggy
wording

I regularly run junction 17 to 19 on the M6 which is about 13 miles at 50 mph and it does wonders for bringing up my mpg - it hunts from EV to engine on for pretty much all the way and adds about 2-3 mpg to my current average by the end of the stretch - tend to ruin all the good work by then nailing it down to J15 where I come off.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2016 at 9:44 AM, Goggy said:

My average since owning my NX is 33, slightly less in the winter (31) slightly more in the summer (35), which for the type of journeys I do (mostly short) is about right. When I go on a longer journey I get around the 40 mark regularly, in fact I just did a 300 mile round trip (mostly motorway) and achieved 39.8. ...

Is this actual mpg or just the reading from the display? I regularly get around 49 according to the display on my is300h, but it translates to about 45/46 at the pumps. 33 displayed is roughly what i got on my mk 2 is250, but that was nearer 30 at the pumps. Of course the difference is slight when measured against the total cost of ownership.

My figures are actual factual tank to tank averages not the computer readings - I do sometimes achieve better than the dashboard readings but it's a rare occurrence - usually 1-2 mpg lower than the figures on the dash but tbh the computer in the Lexus is way closer than most if the other cars I have had in the past......

On 10/20/2016 at 8:42 PM, michaelH said:

Is this actual mpg or just the reading from the display? I regularly get around 49 according to the display on my is300h, but it translates to about 45/46 at the pumps. 33 displayed is roughly what i got on my mk 2 is250, but that was nearer 30 at the pumps. Of course the difference is slight when measured against the total cost of ownership.

Actual. I keep a record of all purchases of petrol, types of journey etc, I only use the display reading as a guide, which appears to be about 5% higher than actual. 

Had mine recently delivered, averaging 42MPG according to the trip computer. I drive like a granny and it's very flat around here plus the weather's still warm. Nice car albeit they could shave 90% of the buttons in the next revision.

Clicked over 30,000 miles today in 11 months - long term actual, factual, mpg is currently standing at 39.62 which I'm happy with - for a 2.5L petrol auto 4X4 I think this is very acceptable - while I achieved around 45mpg out of my diesel manual Evoque, I'm pretty sure an auto 4x4 version wouldn't get close to that - certainly looking at the figures achieved by various car magazines on many diesel 4x4's, most struggle to get mid 30's  and you have to deal with that horrible thick stinky stuff at the pump! I love this car!

• 4 months later...

Early days for me but first tankful on dealer supplied fuel was 35. 2nd tankful 37, 3rd 39 and nearly 40 on the current tankful. All the fuel I've put in has been BP Ultimate or Shell V-Power but doubt the dealer did. All my mileage is of a  similar pattern every week and a tank lasts just over a week so a reasonable comparison although of course not the same day, nor exact weather & traffic conditions. Seems fairly easy to get 39-40mg on most journeys I do which is pretty impressive for a heavy petrol powered SUV.

A remarkable 53mpg from central Birmingham to home today. Wasn't rushing. Remarkable figure for a petrol-powered SUV. Weather warm today which has probably helped. I wasn't trying either, I just drove home sedately and checked the figure when I got home. 5 miles of congested city centre roads, another 5 miles of free flowing urban roads and then 20 ish miles of country A roads and dual carriageways

• Like 2

Crikey, that is good. It really all depends on the average speed you can manage. If you keep up a constant 40-50 on a longish trip I think that is when the car will be at it's best, so A and B roads with no hills. :)

150 miles to Weymouth today. 15 miles of A roads + 85 miles of M5 and then 50 miles of A roads and occasional dual track. 41.5 mpg. Never exceeded an indicated 80 on motorway and mostly 75. By the time I peeled off the motorway it was showing 39.5 for the trip but it crept up to 41.5 by the end. I'm quite enjoying the challenge of making good progress with good economy. Amazing how much the odd full throttle blast up a long hill increases the consumption and how long it takes to get it back

So. Last few tankfuls have all been 39mpg so I'll stop looking at this so much now. Seems that my driving in my car on the roads I regularly use will give this figure. I'll still keep the journey mpg figure on the small display but I'll replace the mpg sinc reset with another setting. No point in me checking it on a regular basis although I'll bring it up once in a while out of interest.

Pretty happy with 39 and accept that it's a long way off the manufacturer's claimed figures due to the completely unrepresentative way in which the official tests are conducted. The only cars I've had that could regularly meet and exceed the claimed figures were big large engined cars where performance was effortless. A BMW X5 4.4i V8, BMW 525i, Jaguar XF 5.0 V8 and Jaguar XF 3.0d S I've had were all capable of easily matching and exceeding the claimed figures, largely I suspect because their reason for being was more performance based than economy based so the figures were more honest to start with. So many economy based cars require a thrashing to make decent progress with a disastrous effect on economy. I had a 2010 Fiesta 1.6d Titanium for about three months in early 2011. Official figure was 65mpg and I never ever saw better than 40-42 over a tankful no matter how gently I drove.

The XF 5.0 was remarkable. I regularly achieved 31-32mpg driven gently on a long run and gently in a 5 litre V8 was not the same as gently in other cars. Interestingly, a 3rg generation IS250 I had was barely any more economical than this XF. As I recall, there was quite a difference in performance though

Made it over 50mpg on the trip computer, 1 hour drive with 50% town, 50% A roads 👍

Can see how in ideal conditions the quoted mpg is achieved - obviously not realistic on day to day but if you were never in a rush and went at optimal speeds it could be done.

IMG_0223.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble with all this "I got x mpg on a certain journey" is that they are likely one-offs. Most of us will average what we average given our own driving patterns and driving styles. It will all average out and the longer you measure it for the more non-changing it will become. Mine seems to be 39 over a tankful. I will be resetting prior to a holiday in Scotland coming up soon because I am keen to see how different it might be to the same holiday last year in my previous XF 3.0DS. Always like to see what I average over a driving holiday because I will be doing about 1,500 miles in one week. The Jaguar gave very good economy on the way up and way back down but not so good in driving around whilst up there whereas I think the NX will be almost polar opposite to this so I'll be interested to see what the differences will be.

• 3 weeks later...

Just returned from a holiday in the north of Scotland having done 1600 miles in 8 days. 3 adults in the car with a full boot and two squashy bags in one of the rear footwells when travelling up and back down so pretty loaded up. First day was M6 up to Carlisle, about 240 miles, travelling at an indicated 75-80 and never any faster than 80. 33mpg. Ouch. Next day Carlisle to Loch Ness stopping off at the southern shore of Loch Lomond for breakfast. At Loch Lomond, after a total distance of about 350 miles, the trip computer was still showing 33mpg so not a great start and I was wishing I still had my Jaguar XF 3.0D S Portfolio which would have been averaging about 45mpg for the same journey (exactly as it had the previous Easter) with considerably more performance to enjoy. After leaving Loch Lomond the mpg figure gradually improved and at the end of the week, just before leaving Loch Ness, the computer was showing 38.9mpg. We then drove back down to Loch Lomond for an overnight stop before the long drive down the M74 & M6 to home. Final figure was 39.3mpg over 1600 miles which was only about 4-5mpg worse than my XF had done the previous year to the same location over about the same total mileage. Not too bad and I'm happy with this. I saw some spectacular journey mpg figures whilst up there because so many roads were a 40-50 mph cruise with plenty of 50+ mpg averages.

Interesting that the overall figure was very close to what I'd been achieving over several tankfuls prior to the holiday so I guess me + my NX = 39mpg

Better than I get. Mind you, the last time I did a mileage similar to that I think it was about 39 as well. Mostly I get low 30's but that is because I do a lot of very short journeys or motorway trips. 

Not when it is just a couple of miles. When I go to the gym, the local shops, the local sports center etc, it only takes 5 mins, too far to walk (20 mins) regularly, although i do whenever I can. But the engine hardly warms up so I am lucky to reach 30MPG, more often than not it is 25-28MPG. When you do that several times every few days the overall MPG plummets. On journeys of 10-15 mins the MPG is 40ish.

If you want to get better mpg even on very short journeys turn the heater off and just use heated seats, most of the engine running on a short journey is warming up the cabin