Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Nx True Mpg

I've owned my NX300h Luxury for almost 8 months having previously owned an IS300h, and have driven around 4500 miles in it.  I used to average just over 50mpg in the IS with mixed driving, slightly less at lower temperatures.    I found it easy to match the manufacturers quoted MPG figures, and often exceeded 60mpg on a steady run on a warm summers day.  The design of the NX however is such that it's difficult to obtain good mpg figures especially with motorway driving.  Over the weekend I drove between Cardiff and Tenby and struggled to return 37mpg, and I was not driving hard.  During the summer months with more local driving on mixed roads I achieved 42mpg at best.  I find the noise of the engine racing during inclines and acceleration intrusive and a real irritation, which doesn't make for a relaxing drive.  Driving around country roads at 50mph is enjoyable and quiet, and around town is okay, however I would never buy an NX primarily for motorway driving.

Did a 150 mile drive to South Wales last weekend myself. M5 and M4. 80mph most of the time. Got 33.9 mpg. Pathetic really. I used to get 31mpg from a 5 litre V8 Jaguar XF at 75-80 on a long motorway cruise. The one thing that might force me out of my NX is if my Monday to Friday journeys become lots of motorway driving instead of local commutes. I think the NX300h is pants on the motorway to be honest and most of the time I drive in sport mode so that I have a reasonable level of performance available when needing to accelerate into the outside lane. I agree that the noise of the engine is intrusive in this situation and it's out of all proportion to the amount of go. There is very little part throttle performance to be honest and it's the one thing that often makes me think about swapping it for something with a bit more go and a much more linear relationship between throttle, performance and engine noise. Then I pull off the motorway and glide along between 40 & 50 and it's sublime.

On 15/12/2014 at 11:20 PM, rayaans said:

That's actually shocking. May as well have put the 450h engine inside - Im easily getting 30mpg in my RX with a lead foot and no hybrid driving technique doolalley whatsoever. I just drive it like a normal car! and I live in Yorkshire - probably the most hills in the UK :P

Had my Blue F sport NX 2 and a bit years now....lokking round for what's next  (I'm a company car driver doing just 20k per annum). Like the Jag F-Pace but the NX for me best value for money - so am thinking it's going to be another one mid 2018 for another Yorkshirenan !

35 minutes ago, Dealkent said:

The Jag E Pace is coming , that maybe more interesting?.

Hope it does better than the present f pace. There appears to be a variety of problems with them similar to Land Rover. Read the issues on the forums Etc. Etc. Nice looking vehicle but.........

• 3 weeks later...

Done another motorway trip this weekend, about 80 miles up the M42, M6T and M6. Never exceeded 80, plenty of time at about 75, 4 adults in the car. 34mpg. Only 35.9 back down today. Both figures include the bits before and after the motorways. My weekly journeys are about to include more motorway mileage so we'll have to see how it goes. There is so little part throttle response from the engine and drivetrain and it does frustrate me on motorways. If only that spongey throttle response and lack of get up and go provided mega mpg returns...

I’ve been driving my NX300h F Sport since August 2016. So far (23.000 miles) the average usage is 37mpg. 

What kind of gas do you use? In the “Owner’s manual” there is written to use gas higher than 91. I use 95. However I am not sure if I use 99 or 100, will it be better?

In almost all previous cars I've experienced better fuel economy, as much as 10% better, using BP Ultimate and Shell V-Power. In each case, what was very noticeable was how much more responsive the cars were lower down the rev range and pick up was also better. These were all what I'd term as performance cars. I don't see the same with my NX300h though. There is no noticeable difference in performance or economy. Initially I thought there was a difference but more recently I've tried some back to back tests with full tankfulls or both 98/99 RON and 95 RON fuel, only from BP and Shell outlets, with the same mileage patterns each time and I haven't seen a difference. If anything, the engine appears to run slightly better on 95 RON fuel. This may well be down to the engine being tuned for economy and not for performance and the ECU not being able to alter the tuning map to suit the more knock resistant 98/99 RON fuel. Not a set of scientific tests I know but I'm disappointed that the drivetrain is so set up for economy at the expense of power and torque. I'm now seriously considering using only 95 RON fuel. It makes quite a difference to my wife's Mini Cooper 1.5t but seems a waste of money in mine.

Travelled up to Manchester last Friday morning via M42, M6T, M6 and A556. All at about 75MPH, no holdups, occasionally 80MPH when I had to accelerate into the outside lane to pass two lanes of slow moving trucks. Whole journey took just over 2 hours and saw an indicated 35 mpg at journey end. Same journey back down but slower this time due to volume of traffic, breakdowns and periods of crawling towards the various roadworks. I also never exceeded 75 and mostly cruised at an indicated 70 when clear but often 50-60 in the busier sections. Whole journey took about 3 hours and saw an indicated 44 mpg at journey end. Much better.

44 sounds good but I've done the same journey in similar conditions in an Audi A5 2.0T 211 BHP Coupe and seen the same mpg figure. I've also done it in a 5 litre V8 XF and seen over 33mpg. I've done the same journey in a 3.0D S XF and seen 50+. Years ago I got high 50's from an Audi A4 TDI for the same journey. I know you can't compare different cars on different days and this is not that scientific but my gut feeling is that an NX hybrid is just pants on a motorway.

Possibly enough to make me get rid but we'll see how the next 2-3 months go, I'm not going to make a quick decision. Sublime refinement and economy in urban conditions and 40-50 MPH runs is so at odds with how uncouth and uneconomical this car is at motorway speeds in free flowing traffic. The amount of accelerator pedal movement required to elicit even modest acceleration on a motorway, with the engine thrashing away at very high revs, irritates me every time even after 10 months of ownership.

Well I have now had my NX for just about 2 years and I have driven 55000 miles of mixed motorway and A and B roads and my long term true tank to tank mileage is 39.3 which for a 2.5L petrol is pretty damn good.

However, I am sorry to say that I am letting it go back to the lease company for tax reasons and getting an L200 pickup instead that will save me around £150/month in tax!

i have thoroughly enjoyed the NX experience, it has never faulted in the 2 years and has been supremely calm in its driving and I will certainly look at owning one privately in future.

This will be my last post so - so long and thanks for all the fish!

On 12/3/2017 at 10:58 AM, Lexus-fan said:

I’ve been driving my NX300h F Sport since August 2016. So far (23.000 miles) the average usage is 37mpg. 

What kind of gas do you use? In the “Owner’s manual” there is written to use gas higher than 91. I use 95. However I am not sure if I use 99 or 100, will it be better?

It appears to make no difference whatsoever to mine whether I use 95 RON or 97 (BP Ultimate) or 98 (Shell V-MAX). If anything, I think the engine runs slightly smoother on 95 RON fuel. I only ever use Esso, BP and Shell fuels and never use supermarkets. I've been doing some basic back to back tests with different tankfulls and I can't see any difference. It may be that this engine is not capable of changing its tune to allow for higher rated fuels which are much more resistant to pre-ignition (knocking).

On 12/4/2017 at 5:49 PM, Nelsthebass said:

Well I have now had my NX for just about 2 years and I have driven 55000 miles of mixed motorway and A and B roads and my long term true tank to tank mileage is 39.3 which for a 2.5L petrol is pretty damn good.

However, I am sorry to say that I am letting it go back to the lease company for tax reasons and getting an L200 pickup instead that will save me around £150/month in tax!

i have thoroughly enjoyed the NX experience, it has never faulted in the 2 years and has been supremely calm in its driving and I will certainly look at owning one privately in future.

See ya Paul. 

On 12/4/2017 at 5:49 PM, Nelsthebass said:

Nothing wrong with saving £150/month! A part of me has always wanted a pickup. The (poor) economy will put a small dent in that mind. Great for trips to the recycling centre too. All the best, hope you enjoy it. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it. Cheers

Average MPG for me is around 47. Best i have had is 55mpg on a 300 mile journey.

The best i have had to a full tank is 497miles and i do anywhere from 200 to 600 miles a week.

• Sad 1

I would love to understand how you manage to average 47 mpg, and 55 mpg on a 300 mile journey SHux.  With very careful driving I would never get anywhere near this.  What's your secret?  My mpg has dropped below 40 mpg in the past couple of days due to the drop in temperature.

1 hour ago, SHux said:

Average MPG for me is around 47. Best i have had is 55mpg on a 300 mile journey.

The best i have had to a full tank is 497miles and i do anywhere from 200 to 600 miles a week.

I don't know how you can achieve those figures, please share. My average since owning my NX is 33.1, which roughly is 35 in summer and 31 in winter. My last fill up I managed just 27 due to the cold snap. The best I have ever achieved from a tankful is 39.7, With a good run getting near to 40. I think it must be due to the roads you drive, or flat countryside with few hills on A and B roads. I do a regular motorway journey of 150 miles and at a constant 70mph I get no better than 38. I admit I do a lot of very short journeys with the car barely warming up, so I know I am below national average.  Some tips would be good. :)

• Thanks 1

My MPG has reduced since the summer, now I am down to 37MPG. I live in London and have done approx 3k miles since June this year. I am also shocked to hear how some are achieving such high MPG, unless you drive around in ECO mode at all times, and ensure you don't ever push the throttle indicator past ECO.

On 12/11/2017 at 6:33 PM, MWC said:

I would love to understand how you manage to average 47 mpg, and 55 mpg on a 300 mile journey SHux.  With very careful driving I would never get anywhere near this.  What's your secret?  My mpg has dropped below 40 mpg in the past couple of days due to the drop in temperature.

I'd like to know this too. The only time I can average 47 is on a slow commute back from the office with very gentle acceleration everywhere and plenty of avoiding the petrol engine kicking in. I have never averaged 55 or even 47 for any meaningful journey. Sure I've seen ridiculous highs of 60-70mpg in short 10-15 mile runs that used a lot of EV mode but 55mpg on a 300 mile journey. Blimey, I just can't see how this is possible.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:57 PM, Omegajb said:

My MPG has reduced since the summer, now I am down to 37MPG. I live in London and have done approx 3k miles since June this year. I am also shocked to hear how some are achieving such high MPG, unless you drive around in ECO mode at all times, and ensure you don't ever push the throttle indicator past ECO.

I'm also shocked when I see high mpg figures quoted. I'm getting 37-39 more recently now that I'm having to use headlights, heater, seat heaters, heated rear window, etc.

On 12/8/2017 at 3:37 PM, paulrnx said:

Nothing wrong with saving £150/month! A part of me has always wanted a pickup. The (poor) economy will put a small dent in that mind. Great for trips to the recycling centre too. All the best, hope you enjoy it. I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it. Cheers

Well..got my L200 delivered at 7.40 this morning - first impressions...**** its big! about 2 feet longer than the NX but about the same width - a bit jiggly in the ride due to the leaf spring rear suspension but given that the NX isn't the most planted car to drive in any case, isn't a big change - if I had been coming from my previous car, RR Evoque, I might have been more aware as that was well solid on the road, but other than that its fine - quiet, sits high on the road, so far on a very tight engine back from Settle to Stone has averaged 36mpg - Barbarian spec lacks for very little: Sat Nag, Leather Seats, auto dipping mirror, auto lights, auto wipers - better in a couple of areas than my SE spec NX......time will tell but it seems pretty good to me and my colleagues at work are all wanting one!

Three months into NX 300h ownership, and on a daily commute of 15 miles on mostly rural roads I'm averaging a steady 39-41. If I really concentrate I can get that to 45mpg, but that is the best I've seen - and that not since the Winter really kicked in and using lights/heated seats etc.

A 70 mile journey on Christmas morning, nearly all on deserted A and B-roads between 40-50mph most of the way saw an indicated 43.7mpg. The return journey home this morning in heavier - but not heavy - traffic, saw 41.2mpg.

Both journies were using standard BP unleaded, with Eco mode set, and no use of heated seats - although the climate control and radio were both on.

I'm fairly happy with that, but it must be said I was getting similar indicated economy on that journey from my non-hybrid petrol CR-V.