Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg

KDS

Having done nearly 7000 miles and 19 tank fills since new I think I'm well used to driving the ct as best I can. On average based on pump fills not the onboard computer I am achieving 47.9 mpg. On a tank where the daily drive averaged 12 miles the consumption was 40.9 where the daily average was 90 miles the average was 53.60 and where the daily average was 281 just 44.8. Clearly lots of short journeys or hacking great motorway distances does for the consumption. The rated stats for the premier on 16's is 74.3 and I've only ever got there freewheeling off the Pyrenees! I'd hoped that knowing the manufacturers specs are over egged we might have got to 85% but I'm averaging 64.5% of the manufacturers spec. In all other respects I'm delighted with the car - just feeling a bit short changed on economy - mind you I'm only paying 60% of what I used to in the accord!

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

• Like 1

Not too far off what I have got for last 20,000 miles. Currently total average is 53mpg on computer. I mainly use for journeys over 35 miles at a time and not too much local work. I know if I am off work and just using for local trips the average on each tankful is around 48mpg, so don't worry too much.

I do lift and Coast when I can - the killer is short town journeys often too and from work in rush hour of only 3 or 4 miles - the engine doesn't seem to get warmed up not that you can tell given lack of a gauge. In Cornwall on holiday recently - computer indications regularly showed journeys of 64-66 - in one case near mevagissey the lane was so narrow we switched to ev to pop us over the hill then glided down the other side recharging for miles. Bridport to Christchurch showed over 66 mpg and padstow to bridport similar. So I can get higher but only over longer.

the cold weather now coming in will also drop your mpg :(

If you are able to get into the 60s then you must be doing something right. Short journeys do have a big impact but I'd still expect better than 40.9mpg for a 12 mile journey (I guess it depends what that journey is).

The 40.9 is for average 12 mile journey ie whole tank distance divided by days between fill ups. When my average is that low it daily commutes of 3-4 miles interspersed with occasional longer journeys.

47 mpg is about right for general driving. The best I got in the summer was 67 on the computer. It's about 54 now. It tends to be better for longer journeys but not at speeds above 60 mph. I don't seem to find any difference between Eco or normal mode either except normal mode is more responsive.

I got close to the published figures on more than one occasion. I ignore the onboard computers approximations and calculate from tank full to tank full. On all good results the journeys were of prolonged duration on slow , single carriageway A roads, following heavy lorries doing 40miles per hour with no chance of overtaking, on warm days, without air conditioning, tyres pumped up to the maximum and whilst using pulse and glide as a method of breaking the boredom.

I have to say that I think the term feather is more apt than glide. Glide implies no throttle however I have noticed improved figures by using a very light "feathered" throttle during the "glide " phase.

To get the published figures is possible but it is very hard and slow work which most of us dont have the time for.

There are two techniques, both of which improve mpg.

Lift completely and then very lightly touch the throttle so that you are coasting, with no electric drag simulating engine braking, and the energy monitor shows no energy flow at all - this is equivalent to putting a manual transmission into neutral and turning off the engine and is the most efficient state you can be in but if you are on level ground you will slowly lose speed.

The alternative is to lift completely (unless in eco mode which will seems to bring the vehicle into EV mode without completely lifting) and then feather the throttle so as to only apply power using the Battery - this is good because you can maintain speed but you are cycling power in and out of the batteries more frequently, and as both processes aren't 100% efficient you end up using more energy than just accelerating and coasting.

Most people just want to relax, enjoy the car and concentrate on the road though, rather than worrying about eking out the very last bit of energy.

53mpg is easy which for a petrol to me is impressive especially given the amount of kit it is lugging around like electric seats etc!

Journey home when purchased was from North London to South lots of traffic but lovely day so no AC just window open was easy 60mpg.

The car thrives around the 35-40 mph mark, gliding along with just batteries. Bet if you were on a flat straight road doing 40mph you could get near their figure (also varies quite a bit depending on the road surface - have noticed some new road surfaces are great, nice and quiet and the car hardly slows down coasting, other surfaces very noisy and quite brutal slow down)

No dispute with these opinions - i can get well into the 60's on individual journeys but not on averages over tank fills measured brim to brim. Given a range of 450 ish miles which will include several cold starts and a wide variety of geography road type traffic densities and journey lengths I believe it difficult to consistently get over the low 50's

• 2 weeks later...

Of course everyone's mileage here will vary (no pun intended) but over the last 17338 miles I am averaging 54.42mpg (recording each fill using the Road Trip app). I do try and drive economically and often the M6 doesn't let you do more than 60 anyway which helps economy! I am very happy with the economy to be honest although I found it was really affected by cold weather (more than other cars I have had). In fact the worst case scenario for mpg is starting from cold on a cold day and going straight into start/stop traffic - really kills the figures.. I have done 30 mile plus runs and got over 70mpg - keeping it there however is quite a challenge!

I tend to use cruise as much as possible even on A roads, partly because it is relaxing when there's not much traffic and partly because it is so much easier to brew the tea when you don't need to worry about gears and accelerators and boring stuff like that. :winky:

Overall my average is still around 57 - 58 but I expect this to drop over the winter. Do you reckon cruise has any effect on fuel consumption?

Well here I am again.

Still disappointed with the mpg and was going to get rid of the car as previously mentioned, but hung in there and still got it.

I might have to change my style of driving and not be to heavy on the throttle.

42-45 mpg.

Well here I am again.

Still disappointed with the mpg and was going to get rid of the car as previously mentioned, but hung in there and still got it.

I might have to change my style of driving and not be to heavy on the throttle.

42-45 mpg.

I wouldn't be so disappointed to be honest. Sure you use more fuel than some other people may use but you obviously drive in a different manner to other people.... and your manner of driving presumably suits your preference. Some people aren't happy unless they're towing a caravan. Thankfully, this is something you wont catch any CT driver doing.

I would imagine that if you had a less economical car you would use even more fuel than you do with the CT. So you still probably make economies on fuel spending....possibly larger economies than someone who has a more economical driving style. The logic is as follows: when you make a 10 mpg improvement to 30 mpg you make your fuel last 33% further. When you make a 10 mpg saving on 50 mpg, you make you fuel last 20% further.

• Like 1

As said before MPG depends on many factors. I get 45-48 driving where I live now, but when I was visiting my home town - slightly smaller, but congested, I did over 1000 miles there averaging 57 MPG without changing my driving style.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

I'm a soon to be CT200H driver. I'm getting delivery (hopefully ) late Jan.

I've got a scenic bose edition as a pool car which I've had since mid October.

I roughly get 50 mpg in that with my highest being 57.

Its a 1.5d and I do 70% motorway driving.

I don't go over 2500 revs usually and cruise around 70 mph.

Will I be able to achieve this in the Lexus?

There is a mixed bag of mpg in this thread so I'm hopeful to hit 50 mpg but will settle for 45 mpg.

Can't wait to see.

:)

Welcome to the club :)

Unfortunately motorway driving is where the CT will be worst for fuel economy, it can't use the batteries so it's just the petrol engine all the time. Guess if you stick to 70 or lower then you should get about 45mpg, on the bright side the other 30% of your driving you'll be getting much higher 😄

Don't be disappointed when you first get the car. In January with a new engine I think you will be lucky to get 45 mpg at 70 mph on the motorway if you are using the motorway a lot, but it will improve when the engine loosens up and the weather is warmer. The CT is best round town or under 60 mph on the motorway. It is also very seasonal. In the summer I get 57 mpg but this time of year its bellow 50 mpg. My average mpg is 54 over the year I have had it. Mostly around town and on A roads. Don't forget the free road tax and the fact that it is petrol are also benefits. The CT is also a nice place to be.

Hope you enjoy the car.

Hi All

I'm a soon to be CT200H driver. I'm getting delivery (hopefully ) late Jan.

I've got a scenic bose edition as a pool car which I've had since mid October.

I roughly get 50 mpg in that with my highest being 57.

Its a 1.5d and I do 70% motorway driving.

I don't go over 2500 revs usually and cruise around 70 mph.

Will I be able to achieve this in the Lexus?

There is a mixed bag of mpg in this thread so I'm hopeful to hit 50 mpg but will settle for 45 mpg.

Can't wait to see.

:)

I do a similar mix of driving, before the Lexus I was getting around 53 from my Astra 1.7 Diesel, my Lexus gets 49 mpg from the same joule of journeys, but remember petrol is quite a bit cheaper than diesel, and if you are getting the Lexus as a company car and getting business mileage reimbursed at a pence per mile, you may be even better off. The Lexus costs me about 11p mile in fuel, if I had a diesel I would get paid 13p mile, but as a petrol I get 17p so doing 15000 business miles a year pays for all my private fuel! Add in the company car tax advantages and its a no brainer.

Yes its a company car and I have the option to buy at the end. I won't as I'd have done well over 100k miles during the lease period.

I had a 1.6 petrol Juke before the Scenic and got 45 mpg in that but I rarely took it over 2k revs on the motorway which it sat at 63 mph.

Like you said, as petrol is cheaper ill most likely spend roughly the same on fuel but get more back from the company in business fuel payments. (Petrol is currently £1.14 by me!!)

As well as the cheaper rate company car tax this can only be a good thing each month.

Looking forward to getting it now.