Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Powersteering.

THE GURNS

Hi Guys,I bit the bullet and took my GS300 to the local garage for them to change the nearside castor arm, the bush was totally shot,I was going to buy a bush and replace it myself but the Lexus won't fit in my garage so I would to have done the job outside on the road behind our house,I decided against this so bought a new castor arm off eBay,£94 with the postage.

I had the local garage change the oil and filter (engine) and the aux belt at the same time,when I went to collect the car the garage mechanic,who is also a mate, told me that the arm was a total nightmare to remove,he smiled when I told him I was going to attempt it on the roadside :shifty:

Myself and family then took the Lexus down to Challaborough bay down in Devon for a weekend away,the car drove so much better with the new castor arm fitted,no more vague steering,we did over 400 miles what with taking in the local scenery which is stunning by the way,Torcross,Blackpool,(the Devon one)and the like...

Anyway,back to the car.......

This week the Mrs told me the steering was noisy when she took the Lexus to work,I went to check and yes it was noisy,I topped up the fluid and all seems fine now,coincidense or something moved/split when belt changed maybe? I cant see any fluid leaking anywhere so I am hoping it was just low on fluid,I have not had to top it up in the year and a half that I have owned it though so time will tell..

Any thoughts guys

002-4.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Good result B)

If it is the trailing link arm you had changed, then yeah, not a nice job as the bolt goes in from the top (so subframe has to be dropped slightly).

Hopefully nowt major with the power steering. If it goes down again, then check it out fully.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

The low P/S oil could be an internal leak in the steering rack, it slowly leaks past a seal in the rack and a certain amount is not returned to the reservoir. We have several Toyota Pick Ups at work with this problem and at the moment the oil is just topped up as soon as you hear the pump starting to whine a little bit. Eventually they will have to replace the racks when they are full up with oil, or loosen the rack boots to drain the excess out. I would say to just keep an eye on it every couple of months at a time.

Quick update,the pump is still noisy,it seems to quiet down a bit when air con switched on,no leaks any where that I can see,maybe its an internal leak as Colin says in his post,I did wonder if when the garage changed the belt they fitted it too tight and its loading up the pump bearings too much? (I say this because I have a Hillman Imp and if you fit the water pump/altenator belt too tight it will ruin the waterpump bearings!) :whistling:

Thanks for the input guys.....

Have a pic of ................

THE IMP!! :msn-oh:

048-3.jpg

and the Lexus.....

014-5.jpg

Ahh yes of course,thanks mate,I took it up to the NEC today to the classic car show,it does seem to have quietened down,maybe air in there? Adam,my 11 year old son loved the show,mainly because he got to shake hands with Mike Brewer of Wheeler Dealers fame AND had a ride in a 427 Cobra!!