Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mpg For Is300H

ianb220

Having had my car for a little over a month I must be honest and say I was expecting better MPG than I am currently getting.

Coming from an Audi A6 Avant 2.0TDi that would give anywhere between 42 and 45 without trying too hard I was expecting a lot more than this with a hybrid.

Just recently I've been driving like Miss Daisy's chauffer (not something I did in the Audi) and I'm only getting around 45 or so.

I've seen reports of people getting 55 plus on this forum so my question to those of you that achieve that is how please?

Firstly depends on the driving style. Motorway mileage will ruin fuel economy on hybrids.

Also, colder weather at the moment means the car takes a while to warm up so the engine is on for longer

Firstly keep the car in normal mode, I havent seen too much difference with normal and ECO at all. Gently accelerate from a still using Battery only and when coming to a stop, brake for as long as possible so the Battery gets charged more. You see the ECO and CHARGE on the speedo? If you dont go into the power band ever, youll be doing 50mpg+

Hills are a problem. I tend to accelerate down the hill keeping the car in the eco band and then using the momentum to pull the car up the hill again. Ive managed 42mpg in my RX so Im sure you could easily get 50mpg+ if trying properly

Another note, check tyre pressures - should be around 38psi if you want decent economy and tbf the tyres on the IS are crap for fuel efficiency, theyre rated like F or something!

Thanks for your feedback.

The tyres that came on the car are Bridgestone Turanza and the handbook recommends 36psi all round which they are.

Although it did surprise me that it was the same front and rear in all load conditions considering the front and rear are different profiles and widths.

I realise I'm losing out because it's an F Sport.

I have stopped using Eco because I actually couldn't see any difference other than dull throttle responses. Nice to have that confirmed thanks Rayaan.

My daily commute consists of a 15 mile trip each way with the middle 10 on motorway and about 2.5 each end on A and B roads.

I'll try all your advice and let you know how I get on.

I have stopped using Eco because I actually couldn't see any difference other than dull throttle responses. Nice to have that confirmed thanks Rayaan.

It does more than that. It will switch to electric, and cut out the engine, more quickly than normal. How much difference that makes to the mpg is down to the type of journeys bring driven and driving style.

It does make it easier to stay out of the "power" band when accelerating I suppose.

Following on from that, what is the most efficient way to get up to speed? Gradual slow increase or a quick blast and then back off so I'm not accelerating for as long?

Be aware that the F Sport gives up around 5 mpg compared to the SE and 4 mpg to the Luxury, so don't expect to get much more than 50 mpg.

Is this purely because of the different wheel sizes?

Yes, heavier tyre/wheel combo + the extra width creates extra rolling resistance.

Following on from that, what is the most efficient way to get up to speed? Gradual slow increase or a quick blast and then back off so I'm not accelerating for as long?

Ideally something in between.

Quick blast Id say. Currently, I am doing 22mpg as a result :D.

So, just to update you all, I've just had to refuel today after 532.4 miles and the cars computer saying I achieved 46.2mpg.

However, using the mpg calculator from Hypermiler.co.uk as a comparison I put in the distance and litres used to fill the tank back up and the answer I got was 42.19 mpg!

Surely Lexus wouldn't have their car lie to me would they?