Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problem With Abs And Vsc Failing Mot

Hi

My RX300 (03) failed it's MOT due to the ABS and VSC lights not going out on the dash board.

I took the car to a main dealer and they read the error codes, which I was told the main failure was the ABS actuator, plus secondary codes of loss of communication with the Yaw Rate/Acceleration sensor.

I have replaced the ABS actuator (used a breakers part as £1500 was a bit steep for an 11 year old car). The lights have still not gone out and so I have hunted out the Yaw Rate sensor to get the part numbers.

Do I need to only match the part number or is the serial number also important.

Eg, my part number is 89183-48010; serial number 174500-5232

This part is very hard to find, but part 89183-48010; serial number 174500-5233 is relatively easy to find.

Can they both be used or do I have to keep all numbers identical?

Any help would be great received.

May be worth trying a reset first if the system is the same as the mk2 GS's.

Some info in this link

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/76133-2004-gs300-vsc-and-vsc-off-lights-on/

Keep to the timings in the link, if you don't give it long enough, it won't reset. And give it a few goes if at first it doesn't work.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

This issue was a real expensive pain for me and to be honest, Lexus main dealer were totally lost and just advised replacing certain expensive parts to erradicate the issue, but they could not guarantee that it would work !!! They even suggested replacing the ECU (which in the end, had nothing to do with it).

I thought the whole point of being able to plug your car into a diagnostic system, it would pinpoint the issue...no chance, it gives them a "idea" WTF !!!

In the end I took my 2003 RX to a Independant Lexus garage in Maidenhead, pinpointed the issue straight away, ordered the part from Lexus, fitted it, the lights never came on again !!! Still cost me a bit but was about a quarter of the price of what Lexus was suggesting.

Just be wary of the Lexus mechanics (sorry, Technicians), because if it's not totally obvious whats wrong, they are not very good.

Good luck with this, I hope you get a cheaper solution to this issue !!!

That's a very similar experience to what I had at the lexus garage. They gave me the wrong part number, so I was hunting a part that never existed for over a week before I got the screw drivers out and greasy hands and found the parts myself. Within 2 days I had the part fitted.

The independent garage that fitted the ABS actuator was able to clear down the ABS and Desceleration Sensor error codes, just the Yaw Rate sensor code still exists and was not able to be cleared using a computer, hinting that the Yaw Rate sensor is borken

Thank you Tigerfish, I did try that before, although admittedly, not leaving it for 30 seconds, I'll give that a go tonight. I did see a correction in another post that for the RX300 the DLC3 connectors are 4(CG) and 12(TS), not 14(TS). This still didn't fix the issue so think the sensor might be broken.

What I need to know is whether I can fit a Sensor on my car with the part number 89183-48010 Serial number 174500-5233 when the part I took off was 89183-48010 serial number 174500-5232. Part numbers match, serial numbers don't.

Anyone know?

Serial number is the wrong term really, if it were a serial number then every one would be different. It seems to be more of an internal Denso part code.

From a Toyota point of view if the part code matches it is an equivalent. I suspect Denso made some slight alteration but Toyota didn't see fit to change their code, so it isn't even a direct replacement improved part.

Hi Colin

Thank you for your input. That is what I assumed it was, but the machanic I was using kept caling those numbers serial numbers, so I went with what he called them.

This makes finding the part much easier and cheaper :)

Kind Regards

M

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links