Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have read somewhere on here about the ASL and 'nuggets' being displayed depending on how fast you are going and how much the ASL boosts the stereo volume.

I have a couple of comments/questions. :question:

When the ASL is switched on I dont think there is any noticable difference (stereo sounds great at all speeds)

Where are the so called 'nuggets' ie. the display telling you how much the ASL is working, I've checked on all the different screens but cant see anything obvious, or am i just stupid.

When I am driving along :whistling: there is an intermitant 'wirring' sound (similar to the steering column going up & down - but not as loud), any suggestions, it seems to be coming from the drivers side of the dash!

Last of all, i went to have a hands free kit fitted, only to be told there isnt one for my phone (Nokia 7650) so i would need to replace my phone, slightly inconvienient as I have just got it - DOH :tsktsk:

Oh, I have a GS300

Andy

With the DVD sat nav I have a little bar graph that displays the amount of ASL on the audio screen. On my old car with CD sat nav I didn't have any display apart from the on/off button.

I also found that the ASL didn't make much difference on my old one (1998). It works much better on my new one.

The 'wirring' sound may be the brake booster pump. Try pumping the brake pedal when stationary until the pump start working and see if that is the noise you are talking about.

Thanks Colin, mine has the CD so I guess no 'nuggets'. :duh:

I had thought that the noise was linked to the brakes but just wanted to check. :D

On the whole I am pleased with my latest GS (I had an older series 1 (with 177,000 miles on) up ntill last week when I px'ed it for the 98 SE I now have. :D

Two little points I am not so keen on:

1. The arm rest on the drivers door is not as compfortable :sleeping:

2.I prefer the old automatic shift over the newer version ;)

Andy

The series II don't use a vacuum brake booster it uses a pump and you do hear it now and again. Open the bonnet and you will hear it clearly.

2. Do you mean the shift lever or the actual gearbox gear change? The gearbox should be much smoother on the series II over the series I

I do mean the actuall 'lever' and not, of course, the gear box. I like to rest my left hand on the lever when plodding along and the newer one is a bit small.

Oooh and I thought of a couple more niggly things:

1. The headlamp washer switch has been moved from the stalk to a button on the dash - crap :yack:

2. The indicator/wiper stalks have been swapped around and are nowhere near the same quality as my old GS, they feel cheap and plasticy :sick:

The engine, however, is absolutely stonkin :D

Andy

The indicator on the wrong side is a pain. Toyota have changed this on all their models so all European cars are the same. Why European manufactures couldn't change theirs when they make a RHD car I don't know!

I wonder if Rover have also changed over?