Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just bought one (2007 SE-L hence 19" wheels), not completely happy with the ride quality on the Dunlop Sport tyres. You do feel minor bumps in the road quite noticeably.

I'm not sure if something is borked in the suspension or if it's just like that.

Any thoughts?

I hav'nt been in the 460 range but I suspect that the tyres are very close to low profiles and to that end your experience will be normal for that type of tyre, check if the suspension is set to sport if it is you will be feeling the bumps.

I have a 2007 LS460. Because it was the garage demonstrator it has 19" wheels also. The tyres are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx.

If you are comparing it to the ride on the LS 400, then it is very different. You are right that you do feel minor bumps. I have already decided that I will fit the standard 18" wheels as soon as I can pick a set up at the right price.

I'm sure you've checked the pressures.

Be warned that the tyre sidewalls are vulnerable to kerb damage. I clipped a kerb, only slightly, and the resulting damage needed a new tyre.......240 Euros!

If you do need tyre work done, make sure the garage doesn't throw away the valve stem (with the integral pressure sensor). My local KwikFit did just that and Lexus wanted to charge me almost 300 Euros for a replacement and calibration. When I went back to KwikFit they found the original sensor in their waste bin. They refitted it and it worked perfectly.

i havent driven a 460 but all i can say you cannot go wrong with those tyres - i have them on my 430 and they are alot quiter than the bridgstones and Continental.

I also agree that the even the 430 is not as smooth and quite as the 400 - you do feel the road bumps more than the 400.

Yeah I avoid Kwik Fit, ever since they attached my exhaust with a rubber band.

Actually I never had an LS400/430. I do have an VW Eos 2.0 Sport, which is on 17" wheels which are fairly low profile for the car, and it's harsher than that.

My suspension is set to Comfort.

Graham,

Do you agree that the ride is different than on the LS400.

I have no complaints about the ride on my LS 460 but, on the 19" rims, I do feel minor bumps more than I did on my LS 400. It's a minor quibble really.

I had my 400 mk3 for 4 years and 80.000 miles........sold it woth 203.000 miles on.....as soon as I coud afford it I went mad for a 460.....I thought....if the 400 was so so smooth and quiet.....then a Decade on in development the 460 must be incredible........plus I loved the looks....I bought one with 10.000 miles on ....without so much as a test drive....I was so confident it would be a dream to drive.... {460SEL Air Sus}....Oh how wrong I was......The harsh ride was the first suprise....but with those frankly stupid low profile tyres on a car that in no way needs them .....it was to be lived with.

Wind noise was a big problem.....cured a little with the common internet fix ....of making a quietning plate from aluminium and siliconing it behind the front quarterlight trim....but much better when you just tap down both front windows a few mm whilst drivng....I would do this every time I had a windows down just to get some relief from the roar....

Lack of low down torque compared to the 400....far too many gears.....always changing when not needed.

I had to replace all four tyres at 10,000 due to delamnatng of the centre tread....fitted new LS600 h tyres...

Then set off from Cumbria at 7pm .....destination in the sat nav.....Venice....got there 26 hours later....tired but got the chance to really use the car for what it was built for....Intercontinental TourDeForce ?.....the car was brilliant other than the above niggles.....but all the time....kept wishing I was n my old 400....it would have been a quieter smoother trip with an old friend.

Less than a year with it and I had had enough....sold it for a V8TDI Touareg....even thought of buying my old 400 back....still look for it on eBay once in a while....

All of these comments are my own thoughts on the 460....I do not wish to upset anyone one who likes theirs....but it was such a dissapointment to me....

If I had never owned a 400 I would have been much more impressed with the 460.

But in my opinion the 460 has not a patch on my 400 mk3....But I was after a smoother and quieter ride than the 400....and quite frankly....there is'nt one.

I looked forward to the shortest or even better.... longest trip in the 400.......any excuse to drive it....never ever felt that with the 460.

Sorry for the long story. :innocent:

Steve.

• Like 1

If I ever traded up my mk4 (and that's a big 'if'), for another Lexus, it would be for a 430. I really like the look of the cabin on those, but I am also aware of the niggles that crop up on that model. So, for now, I'll stick with my trusty old LS400. It's still a delight to drive every day even if it is 15 years old and is just as reliable as some 5 year old cars, I'll wager.

Moriwaki ..... I know how you felt with the complete satisfaction with your Mk3 ........ that's why I was happy to grand tour thru' France and round Spain and Portugal, 6000 miles in mine this last spring.

Malc

Malc.....I have never been so pleased to Drive.....maintain.....or even wash a car.....as that old 400.....the whole experience was a total pleasure....I also think the sound system was better too....

Sorry to all the 460 lads.

• 3 weeks later...

I have mentioned this in another thread ( ps 460 advice) I have recently brought a 460 for my wife, we drive from London to Devon reguarly, it is a stunning car and ideal for those long journeys, build quality, power etc, I have a 400 for my day to day driving, neither of us do many miles hence the reason why I can run two v8s lol, but for me, as happy as I am with my 460 I don't think there will ever be a car I simply look forward to driving as my ls 400.

Adam,

Congratulations on the new car. I have the same model, year and colour LS460 as you have. As I have mentioned before, I have 19" wheels fitted (they were on the car when I bought it) and I find the ride is not quite as good as on my old LS400.

I'm looking to change my wheels........can you tell us what size wheels you have and comment on the ride?

• 2 weeks later...

Our eternal conundrum here!

I haven't driven an LS for 3 years now, but your comments remind me of strings from 4 years back, when it seemed the Ser 4 was the epitome of Lexus.

So....hear the sound of me kicking myself?