Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

*** Strange Gurgling Sound ? ***

AntonyR

Hi everyone.

I own an IS200SE (2001). Recently, I have noticed a strange gurgling sound coming from somewhere between the wheel and the centre console. It sounds like a liquid moving around in a pipe when the car accelerates. It happens in both hot and cold conditions and, from my basic testing recently, appears to occur whether the air con is on or off. It sounds like air passing through a liquid but also quite like coarse sand or tiny pebbles moving around in a piece of plastic pipe - it is a very distinctive sound. I know this sounds vague but it is mystifying me and usually occurs when you begin to accelerate from a standing start. For some reason it always feels like I am about to get wet feet when I hear the noise in spite of no leak being visible anywhere.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what this might be please? Any suggestions would be most welcome and if anyone needs any more info then I will try and answer albeit not being very technical when it comes to my car unfortunately, hence my approach to those far more knowledgable than me.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies. They are much appreciated. I have just checked the manual to check the coolant level and the photo in the manual is appalling. I cannot make head or tail of it. Page 236 in my manual if I remember correctly. Any tips as to how to find it please? Apologies in advance for such a pathetically basic question guys but I would appreciate your help once again.

There should be 2 level marks on the coolant reservoir tank L and FULL, with the engine cold the coolant level should be up to the Full line.

I don't know if this is clearer but take a look

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM53437/pdf/om1sourc/2001om/01is300o/62.pdf

The photo in my manual was very poor. The one you have so kindly provided explains everything. I couldn't initially locate the reservoir as I was looking for something a little more obvious...however, I have located it and checked the level. It was below the bottom mark and needed around 700ml of Toyota 'red' coolant to get it up to the max. line as per your guidance.

In addition, and stupidly in my instance, I presumed it would be easier to find and I expected it to still be clean and therefore visible! Neither were true in all honesty but with your help I have managed to refill it so I am grateful to you (all) for your guidance and help.

The next thing I will do is monitor the coolant level over the next few days/week(s) and see if it loses the level it is at now when cold. There must be some kind of small leak otherwise I assume I wouldn't have lost any coolant in the first place. Is that assumption correct or could there be a more 'natural' explanation?

Since I have topped the level up I have not heard the gurgling sound once on my relatively short trip home (and I would have expected to). However, if air is in the system I am guessing I may still have to 'burp' it. Will monitor this situation too but, so far, no gurgling sounds.

PS - the cap to the coolant reservoir was not immediately visible either but again your photo was far superior than the one in my manual. It's a case of once you know what you are looking for it is far easier to find!

THANK YOU!

Have a look around the water pump for a white staining - bit like chalk marks which will indicate that the water pump has a leak - usual checks for "mayonnaise" around the oil cap and opening - this isn't an issue with the petrol engines but its not impossible.

Like you said, its worth your while monitoring it - especially now the cold weather is here !

Have a look around the water pump for a white staining - bit like chalk marks which will indicate that the water pump has a leak - usual checks for "mayonnaise" around the oil cap and opening - this isn't an issue with the petrol engines but its not impossible.

Like you said, its worth your while monitoring it - especially now the cold weather is here !

Hmmm, water pump...and that is located where exactly under the bonnet pls?!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links