Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Dilemma

inflames

Hi everyone, i haven’t been on here for sometime as i haven’t had my IS200 for sometime now. I just wanted to ask some like minded car people what they think about my car dilemma.
The other day at work i found out that i won’t be getting a company car in the new year, the reasons are fair so i am not holding a grugde about it even though this one of the reasons i took the job. But the demand for the on site work has not grown as they had planned so i have no reason to have my company car, but i get use of the pool car for the days that i need it. My daily commute is just over 30 miles a day on small A roads. I currently have a petrol BMW 320i, so the it drinking the petrol. So in the new year i plan to buy a diesel. With having own diesel i could use it for work when required and get paid per the mile etc. I spoke to one of the sales guys in my place, as this is what he does and he runs it like his business and makes a bit of money using his own car. So if the on site work did grow in the near future it is possible i could earn a bit more cash.

But here is the issue, i don’t have the free cash at hand to buy the sort of newer diesel. So my choice is to buy a older diesel with high mileage with the cash i have. Something like a Volvo S60 D5 or Honda Accord or a older VW passat all with over 100k + on the clock? Most like would need replacing 3-5 years later. Or do i get a newer car say a 3 year old and get the car on finance what i can afford to do. Something like Mazda6 or the newer accord or the new style passat. With around 50-70K on the clock? I have even considered an IS220D, but i remember a lot people on here, when i use to be a regular visitor to the site, complaining that the MPG is not that good on them?

I have sometime to make up my mind, but was just wondering what others think about it and what they would do.

I would do what ever doesn't financiallt stretch you. Do you need a car that big? What about a skoda Fabian vrs?

Personally I like to buy as low mileage as I can as fewer miles generally means less risk (not always the case) but obviously there will be less west and tear on a lower mileage car.

Stu

I would do what ever doesn't financiallt stretch you. Do you need a car that big? What about a skoda Fabian vrs?

Personally I like to buy as low mileage as I can as fewer miles generally means less risk (not always the case) but obviously there will be less west and tear on a lower mileage car.

Stu

Skoda did you just swear at me........... ;) i know they are VAG now, but i still couldn't have one. If i was to end up using the car for working on site, i would need a large boot space to get all the equipment and tools in. Plus the kids pushchair/buggy in. With this car purchase i plan to try and get as low milage as possible. I have had my large share of cars with high mileage, what isn’t to bad when you only doing a few miles a day and the occasional trip. But i wouldn’t want to be doing business miles in a car like that.