Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Euro Suspension Comments?

I'm getting close to getting a new '04 LS430, BUT, I wantde to get some feedback form previous drivers to determine what the difference is between the standard suspension and the Euro-tuned with the 18" wheel and low profile tires. I have repviosuly driven BMW's and S class MB's and love the feel of german cars, but their prices and their quaility sucks, so I'm turing to Lexus for the first time. I'm hoping that perhaps the euro-tuned suspension will bring the car closer to the german cars.

Can anyone care to comment? What is the new suspension like vs the new euro suspension?

thanks much, Beartrap...

At a wild guess, the standard suspension is designed for the US market so big and bouncy, whereas the Euro suspension will be better handling. Just a guess mind!

I would suggest a test drive but I had problems when I had a test drive of an SC430. The tyre noise was louder than my 2000 LS400. The dealer said there was an alternative suspension option but couldn't provide a test drive in anything other than the standard spec.

I have a seriously fast Alpina 7 series BMW (302 BHP) and have previously had 5 series aswell. You're right on the quality & reliability side as I once had a Carina E years ago before the BM's and it 's the reason I ended up in the Lex family.

You will definately notice nothing goes wrong ( and I ain't going to touch wood either) as these things just work everyday day in day out unlike the niggly problems you get with other makes.

As for the drive itself I beleive you will find it softer in general.

I tested slightly older Lexus than you're looking at so of course there may have been improvements along the way, but they are Jap cars and usually set for the US.

In the end I went for the GS Sport being a bit firmer and once coupled with those 18 inch and decent tyres, a little fiddling with the pressures you can get it nearly there in the ride stakes.

I have to say however that I don't think it will ever feel like BMW. Somehow through the chassis etc there is a difference and in my mind why people still buy BM etc... ( not the small stuff, 5/7 series 3 litres upwards I'm talking about) but they are different types of car.

The Lex is very comfortable , can shift it when you want , will never let you down etc but scores lets say 85 /90% in all areas.

The 7 series scores 100 in ride handling but bugger all every where else!

If you want a pure drivers car I think you won't be dissapointed but will feel you wouldn't keep up with a decent BM on the open road. However for the other 364 days of the year the Lexus is a more "sensible" option. You pays your money ! If I had the chance I get it!

The American car magazine Car and Driver said that you will not find any excitement at a Lexus dealership. If you've ever owned a BMW, you're going to have a problem with a Lexus....well maybe not if you've spent a fortune keeping the Bimmer running :D

Seriously, I'd like the Euro-tuned suspension but not the low profile tires.

If you can wait a year, the new GS models should be out and they are probably better competition for the mid-sized German cars.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links