Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Pump

Hi guys,

Just thought I would let you all know I had my water pump replaced under warranty today.

I have been on the US website and many owners did not know they had a leak until they checked as the coolant level decreases slowly.

The easiest way to check is to lift the bonnet and then shine a torch towards the bottom left of the engine. If you can see pink crust then your water pump is leaking.

My advice would be to check yours in case it is leaking.

Sully

• Like 2

My wife's IS220d needed a new water pump. It wasn't covered by warranty. If mine is ropey I shall be a little more insistent about it. In fact I'll go and check now.

No idea why it wasn't covered. Maybe the dealer being cheeky.

Luckily mine is OK; no pink gunk visible. I will ask them to check properly at the next service.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump an old thread but does anyone know what the deal is with the water pump on an 08 car that doesn't have the extended warranty? 

Mine went in for a service today and I just had a call to say the water pump is showing early signs of leaking so it is best to replace it. Given that it's done less than 40k miles from new and has full main dealer history I was a bit annoyed to be given a quote of around £400!

Unfortunately the early cars had an issue with the water pump. It is well known to Lexus and many were replaced under warranty if they showed any signs of leaking. Your car did not show any signs of leaking at the time hence why yours will not have been replaced while under manufacturers warranty. 

I believe there was an issue with the quality of the water pump used at the time and now this has been improved hence the reasons the later cars have no issue. 

My advice would be to kick up a fuss and provide them with lots of evidence from the forums that it was a manufacturing issue and therefore lexus should cover the cost. Use social media: facebook and twitter to raise your concerns. You never know, it may work. Worth a try at least. 

Hey Gib,

Seems like it's a bit hit and miss in the UK on this one. :wallbash:

Most of the US guys get theirs replaced under warranty, and I'm sure I read of a couple that managed to get them done free of charge as a recall/known defect? Think others managed to talk the stealerships into offering discounts for labour costs, but most seem to pay out if we are talking about good old Blightey! :pirate:

Has the car always gone to the same stealership, or no? I'd try and get them to take some blame for a common fault, but doubt you'll get anywhere mate. :cry:

Thanks for the replies chaps. The car has been serviced at 2 different main dealers previously and is now with Lexus Leeds. It was checked by the two previous dealers for the waterpump issue at each service and was seemingly fine. I've sent off a few tweets to Lexus UK so let's see what the response is. 

I'm guessing it wouldn't now be covered under warranty if I took out the extended cover?

Guessing no as it was reported/logged prior to you taking out the extended warranty?

Would be a pre-existing condition (sorry that's my claims adjuster head speaking! Lol).

Worth asking though! Can't see any harm checking with Leeds.

devils advocate. It's an eight year old car. It will need some things replacing. Be glad it isn't something more serious or just leave it and keep an eye on the level. lastly go to an Indi as they will be cheaper....