Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Warranty Price Offer 2Years For 1 Except The Ls

Extended warranties fro all Lexus 2 years for the price of 1. I contacted Lexus and asked why here is their answer. Thought it might be interesting.

Hi Colin. Whilst the LS and SC share similar running gear the LS has far more electronic technology such as air suspension, rear air conditioning etc and these tend to be high cost items if they do go wrong. Each model is assessed based on the historical claim rate and the costs for premiums are the set accordingly. This also takes account of usage, and as such the LS would generally be used driven far more miles as these are generally used by chauffeurs and businessmen in earlier life whereas the SC was very much a second car for the weekend with the roof down! It's a combination of all these factors that are taken into account when determining the extended warranty pricing. You should be aware that we are currently offering 2 years cover for the price of 1 on all models except the LS. Maybe this is why there appears to be such a large price gap. We've attached a pdf containing all details of the extended warranty programme for your convenience. Hope this helps. Please do let us know if you have any more questions. Lexus UK

Colin

Yes it is interesting and simply put they are admitting the ls430 has inherent faults which we all know about .The fact they won't cover them shows they have decided some of the components are badly made products and cannot be trusted.

As for the reference to business use and chauffer driven they are red herrings, the LS range prior to the ls430 was more of a buisness car than the present range as the brand image spreads.

My car and a few more besides were privately owned with low mileage and have passed the test of time ,on high milers it is consumables that need replacing not fabrication components.

It is a fact of life that we don't get it right every time and the ls430 is an example of that.

I posted a long analysis sometime ago on why I opted for the ls400 mark4 when replacing my Mark1 and my decision was wholly based on longevity and relability as I intended the replacement was to see me out.

After two years of the mark4 ownership so far that decision as proved the right one.

• Like 1

I own a Porsche 911 and a few years ago, Porsche doubled the cost of their very comprehensive warranties from £900 to £1800 - I read on some 911 forums about owners having to make claims for expensive jobs and Porsche UK clearly didn't want to pick up the cost.

Seems as cars get more technology and gadgets, they are becoming a much more risky ownership proposition.

I am now enjoying my LS430 now that it's rid of some previous issues relating to the steering and suspension. They have cost a lot of time and money to put right but it's been worth it.

It's also nice to be getting compliments from other drivers who know their cars and know how awesome these cars are - this is what owning a Lexus LS is all about in my opinion :-)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just bought the 24 month warranty. I believe it's well worth it, plus I'm a worrier so I enjoy the peace of mind.

The dealer was also doing an offer on servicing to include 1 major and minor service for £199

Great value for money overall, cheaper than other marques plus a bloody great car

I have just had my LS430 serviced by Lexus for £199 which is for a minor / intermediate service - I did discuss the option of a service plan with them but decided to just stick with the service costs as / when they arise.

Weirdly, they said that their standard menu for servicing costs for older LS430s are £295 for the small service and £595 for the major service but they could do these same service jobs for £199 and £399 but they are not allowed to stamp the Service book but instead issue a card to confirm the work has been done.

In my case today, they did stamp the book

• Like 1

Weirdly, they said that their standard menu for servicing costs for older LS430s are £295 for the small service and £595 for the major service but they could do these same service jobs for £199 and £399 but they are not allowed to stamp the Service book but instead issue a card to confirm the work has been done.

This is Essentials servicing, available to vehicles over 5 years old:

http://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/#/ServicingYourLexus

I was initially quoted £295 for the intermediate service and then they gave me the option of the £199 price instead but said they couldn't stamp the service book but that they would issue a card instead. Bit strange to me.

All I am concerned with is making sure the car is serviced correctly and that I have the paperwork to back this up

No matter what dealers say about prices being fixed, I think there is always room for negotiation no matter what - they all need the business and owners of older cars are invaluable to these big dealerships as well as their newer customers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links