Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

went out tonight in her tonight decided i know i will wash the screen, pressed the washer button, the wipers wiped but no washers hmmmm the headlight ones worked ok though but no windscreen, washers and no noise, new pump then i take it, fuse ok just thought i would share my prob.

Matthew

There are two pumps one for screen and the other for headlight washers and the reservoir serves both. Get someone to press the button whilst you put your ear to the reservoir (remove the lid)if there is no sound the pump as probably given up on life.You will need to remove the engine undercover to get at the pump and its circuit connections water and power, make sure you have power here before moving to next step.

It might be possible to remove and replace the pump with the reservoir in situ but not having had a pump problem I cannot be sure .I do know it is possible to remove the float meter device in situ but that is located on the bottom of the reservoir .The pumps are located on the side and could be difficult to get at.

update;

Having looked at the schematic diagram of the reservoir the windscreen pump is located on the leading edge of the reservoir adjacent to the front bumper behind and underneath the headlight.

It is probable that the best way to the pump in situ is by loosening the mudguard liner at the front and easing it out of the way .If you use this method you will not have to remove the engine under cover just loosen the piece of under cover that sits below the reservoir to give you enough access.

• Like 3

Matthew, unlike you, I had the headlight wash pump fail on my Mk4 once. Like Ambermarine says, you access the two separate pumps and resovoir via the wheel-well liner. No need to take off the undertray. I replaced mine with a used pump off a scrapper (on-line breakers) for £7 three years ago, it still works fine. It's not too hard to get at or fit.

• Like 1

I concur with ambermarine and titch LS reference accessing water pump.... I've a 98 LS400 which I'm taking apart at moment and took wheel liner off to access abs sensor plug and noticed how accessible the windscreen wash bottle n pump are....

Can i go on record and say i am an idiot! having looked in the washer bottle i could see blue liquid in there, and the headlight washers worked too as i said earlier, so thought what the hell i will top it up anyway to the brim, and hey presto the windscreen washers now work!

• Like 1

Can i go on record and say i am an idiot! having looked in the washer bottle i could see blue liquid in there, and the headlight washers worked too as i said earlier, so thought what the hell i will top it up anyway to the brim, and hey presto the windscreen washers now work!

they low fluid light should of come on - if it didnt perhaps its been unplugged to overcome the common problem of illuminate the contstant low washer fluid light.

how much fluid did you ad - do you think it was empty?

I had to get the reservoir pump motor for the screen replaced on my Mk IV LS400 after 12 years and 180,000 miles. New part was £75 from Lexus and it was an hour's labour by my local garage. Not quite as cheap as Brian's £7 DIY job but in the scheme of things, not a huge expense