Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Few Issues, Need Advice.

john leeds

Hi everyone

Just had bodywork buffed up by a so called expert. But now the memory seats don't work on both sides, the stering wheel doesn't automatically move when powering up or down and the boot seems to be sitting high, does anyone know how to fix these. Please, john

Hi John

We need a little more detail in the description so apologies if you have already checked these or I haven't quite understood the issues.

If it's just the memory function that isn't working for the seats and the steering wheel, perhaps the Battery has been disconnected and the seats and steering column just need resetting on the memory button. If the seats and steering wheel aren't working at all then it may be a blown fuse.

From memory, it's possible to adjust the boot lid slightly with the 2 bolts with rubber covers on either side but first check that the rubber weather seal is fitted correctly. I can't check on my car at the moment as it's being painted but I do know that it is very easy to disturb the rubber seal whilst cleaning and that might be stopping the boot from sitting just flush.

Hi yes I found the answer for the seats on here, full movement in all directions and it resets itself so I tried the same on the stering wheel and guess what it worked so there both sorted now but the boot is being a pain to sort,I've ordered all new rubber seals £310 from lexus and I've found two bolts on the boot mechanism which I adjusted up and it's much better now so I get the seats tomorrow and we should be as good as new.this car owes me 9k but it's worth about 8k but I don't care, I've had landcruisers, q7 etc from new but my sc is my favourite car I've ever owned and I won't part with her,

Good work. Yes I later read about that seat fix too, never heard of it before, you never stop learning about these cars. Wow did you really need new seals, £310 sounds a lot?

My boot lid ended up high one time. I just ran the engine put my foot on the accelerator raised the revs to about 2000 so the Battery was at 14.3 or so volts and cycled the lid up and down a few times. No problems it sorted itself out.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there whole boot from front to back left to right, I think the guy whole sorted the paint work locked the keys in the boot and has forced it up to get them. So the lock has a small wiggle and I think the arm mechanisms have been forced up out of shape, I'm having issues opening the boot sometimes as a result.

John a few questions.

Can you add some pictures?

Does the folding roof still work properly?

If the boot is raised that much all around, it is as if the roof hasn't completely finished its closing cycle.

Can you see any physical damage or bow to the boot lid or the struts?

That's a silly price for a lock + fitting and I doubt it's just caused by the lock for it to be raised by 8 mm all around. I presume you have carefully opened and closed the roof to check it's not something to do with the mechanism getting jammed before it finally closes.

I've sent an enquiry on a yard breaking one up, was in a front crash,as I'm going to replace the lock and both mechanisms as I'm sure mine have been stretched by the paint guy, if lexus guy's can't work it out it has to be replaced, I think it's the only option.

Has the misalignment affected the roof opening and closing? If you stand by the boot as someone else operates the roof slowly in stages you may be able to see if anything is slightly amiss but as you say, if the Lexus guys can't figure it out then something is strangely wrong, assuming they know what they are doing.

That look like an alignment issue probably caused as you suspected. He should pay for it as it wasn't like that when he started work on the car.

If it is an alignment issue any reasonable body work tech should be able to real align the boot lid.

My boot did end up slightly up on one side a few months ago it just didn't shut right after having the roof down. I put revs on the car so the voltage output was max and put the roof up and down a few times. It stowed itself and shut OK .

Boot now sorted, under the latch behind the Pannal there is a couple of nuts that can be adjusted to pull or lift the lid and with fiddling with the cams on the arm mechanisms it has been sorted, I forgot to take a photo of the mechanism as it's a work of art, I can't believe how complex it is, you can see where the money goes on these cars, although ability disappointed that lexus tecs couldn't work it out. Maybe they need to go on a refresher course.

Glad you got it done. Doesnt surprise me Lexus technicians couldn't sort it out they are their to make money selling seals and new boot lids etc. Small adjustments don't make money.