Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Agree With Me........

bluenose1940

that as an absolute minimum, if a vehicle is being driven, it should have its sidelights on.

Over the past few weeks I have come across so many vehicles without any lights on at all and in the most appalling conditions, very dull/dark, and sometimes teeming with rain.

These selfish drivers seemingly have it mind that they can see OK, but they give no thought whatsoever to the fact that there are many people about whose eyesight is deteriorating and they can't see some approaching vehicles, particularly if the vehicle is dark coloured.

Am I being unreasonable with my thoughts.

I don't have DRL's on my current car but always drive with sidelights on in normal daylight, and with dipped headlights on during less bright days.

It comes down to common sense doesn't it Geoff. Some have it some don't.

But it applies to all modes of transport..even on foot.

Drove to work at 6am this morning..along country lanes. Chap out walking his dog..dressed in a high vis sash..perfect. Mile further on on a sharp left hander I'm confronted by a jogger in dark attire in the middle of the road..nothing reflective or bright.....idiot.

All we can do is try to ensure we are seen and hope the others catch on to the ideal in time.

• Like 1

I see you've discovered the bee in my bonnet!

I just don't understand it, it's not like it costs anything. I have my dipped headlights on most days at this time of year. What really gets me is when its foggy or misty and drivers only put their side light on, why? At least in years to come all used cars will have daytime lights, like it or not.

I just don't understand it, it's not like it costs anything.

I'm sure for these drivers the reason is just a complete lack of awareness of everything around them however it does cost - the energy the lights are using isn't free. Lexus estimated that just by changing the rear lights on the RX from standard bulbs to LED saved up to 1% in fuel.

Totally agree common sense and awareness(both which seem to be in short supply these days).Don't know if anyone has noticed but I personally think that the rear parking light should be made to work with the day time running lights(on most cars when the drl's are on,no rear lights are on)and you find drivers still driving round with drl's when it's dark unaware I presume that they haven't got any rear lights on.Furthermore how often do you see cars with only one headlamp etc etc working?

I just don't understand it, it's not like it costs anything.

I'm sure for these drivers the reason is just a complete lack of awareness of everything around them however it does cost - the energy the lights are using isn't free. Lexus estimated that just by changing the rear lights on the RX from standard bulbs to LED saved up to 1% in fuel.

What I mean is that it doesn't cost anything compared to the general energy consumption of running a vehicle. Mostly it's just ignorance, the kind that goes with blocking roundabouts, parking on corners, and all the other things that get up the noses of sensible and courteous drivers.

If it's low light or restricted conditions (such as rain) then common sense says put your lights on.

However, I take issue with

" there are many people about whose eyesight is deteriorating and they can't see some approaching vehicles"

These people are more dangerous on the roads than the people who don't put their lights on. There should be more stringent criteria and tests done for people that have eyesight as bad as this.

And from a moral point of view, I think the people that drive KNOWING their eyesight isn't good enough to see oncoming traffic are the selfish ones (and dangerous), not the ones that don't put lights their lights on.

In my view;

The Highway code requires dipped headlights in low or poor visibility.

Common sense suggests that if no DRL`S then side lights or dipped headlamps enable one to be seen more quickly than would otherwise be the case.

Common sense also suggests that when driving;

do not drink, smoke, wear headphones, read maps, use the phone, wear headphones etc.

There is an offence of "Driving without due care and attention" and I wish that the Police would be more bold and apply it more often.

Regards

John

I agree. First step the police should take is roadside eyesight tests. Soon get those pesky, irresponsible and downright dangerous for that choose to drive with failing eyesight off our roads, making it safe for everyone :)

The ones that annoy me are those that insist even in bright sunlight have the fog lights on front and back.

They are down right dangerous. In wet conditions they blind you coming towards you.

On motorways when your perspective/line of sight changes suddenly you see what you think is a brake light, so you hit your brakes only to find out its an idiot with their fog lights on.

Fog lights are to be used in foggey conditions or when your seeing distance is down to around 100 meters because of heavey rain/spray. Once conditions change you turn them off and not keep them on because you think your car looks better with them on.

I dont have any problem with cars being driven around with dipped headlights during the day in bright sun light I do all the time but a word of warning if you think this will make you more visable on the road the last two accidents I have had for which I wasnt at fault were both because they never saw me coming and my dipped headlights were on.

Mike

End of rant, feel much better.

The ones that annoy me are those that insist even in bright sunlight have the fog lights on front and back.

They are down right dangerous. In wet conditions they blind you coming towards you.

On motorways when your perspective/line of sight changes suddenly you see what you think is a brake light, so you hit your brakes only to find out its an idiot with their fog lights on.

Fog lights are to be used in foggey conditions or when your seeing distance is down to around 100 meters because of heavey rain/spray. Once conditions change you turn them off and not keep them on because you think your car looks better with them on.

I dont have any problem with cars being driven around with dipped headlights during the day in bright sun light I do all the time but a word of warning if you think this will make you more visable on the road the last two accidents I have had for which I wasnt at fault were both because they never saw me coming and my dipped headlights were on.

Mike

I agree with you Mike re the front and rear foglights.

I`m afraid that I do not understand anyone who says they didn`t see you coming when you had dipped beams on .......seems to me that they were driving without due care and attention!

Regards

John

Mike

I agree with you Mike re the front and rear foglights.

I`m afraid that I do not understand anyone who says they didn`t see you coming when you had dipped beams on .......seems to me that they were driving without due care and attention!

Regards

John

The last one had something to do because she was texting on her phone at the same time. Police are going to prosecute her, it also goes to show that despite women for years saying they can multi task, they cant. Mike

The last one had something to do because she was texting on her phone at the same time. Police are going to prosecute her, it also goes to show that despite women for years saying they can multi task, they cant. Mike

They can, but they just do all the tasks badly. As well as the bad driving I'm sure the text message she was sending was also illegible.

• Like 1

I'll stick to cooking then!

Just don't do it when you're driving! :)

Anyone know a girl who can talk,drive,cook, wear headphones and text at the same time?

Regards

John

Have you tried eBay? Mike

On one of my Mercedes Forums, they showed recently a photo of a girl cyclist in London traffic not wearing a helmet, nor holding her handlebars, but wearing headphones listening to her Ipod and texting!!

And I have actually driven in a slow moving line of traffic on M6 and seen a lady drinking coffee, texting and reading a map whilst on her handheld phone.

How or why they do these things is beyond me! Multi-tasking, my backside....it is just plain stupid!

Regards

John

• Like 1

My favourite is when people know that one of their headlight bulbs has gone so they use full beams to make up for the difference. :megaangry:

If I'm honest, the "auto" mode of my IS200 is pretty good. Personally, I'd prefer it if the side lights could be on permanently with the headlights on auto... let's face it - we all took the mickey out of Volvo/Saab drivers for years, but it makes perfect sense to have the on all the time.

Easy enough to put your lights on as necessary without DRL's. Biggest problems are lack of Police vehicles on routine patrols and officers having to meet targets so go for easier options. So easy to prosecute for not using lights correctly whether not having them on or having lights on illegally....i.e. fog lights (front or rear) in use in inappropriate conditions.

As for drivers who can't see darker cars without lights on then they should, in all conscience, be handing in their licence as they should not be driving.

• Like 1

"These selfish drivers seemingly have it mind that they can see OK, but
they give no thought whatsoever to the fact that there are many people
about whose eyesight is deteriorating and they can't see some
approaching vehicles, particularly if the vehicle is dark coloured."

Dave, I think that I should have made it more clear in my original post, in the above I was particularly referring to elderly pedestrians (although they don't necessarily have to be elderly of course to have problems with their sight) rather than drivers.