Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Dealers

omeo

I originally had some noise my car was making near the right side drivers tyre and my independent mechanic advised all was well with no play last week. I visited the dealer for a second opinion today and What shocked me is the issues they find.

My mechanic advised my ball joints were fine. Lexus advised there was excessive play and it was so unsafe they refused to test drive it and made me sign a paper . What's strange is I jacked it up straight after and tried to find play and the wheel is solid.

What's strange also when I visited them last month they gAve me a list of problems that this month magically dissappeared. For example they advised the drive belts were worn and needed to be replaced even though they were replaced and only had 12k miles on them. This time they never brought it up.

Last month they advised to change my brake fluid. They advised the same again this month but this time said I need to change the reservoir Cap as it's not oem and can explode off. It's the same cap ad last month and is definitely oem. It's in Japanese. It seems loose but I'm sure they damaged it.

Can I trust them????

• 2 weeks later...

Premium brand dealers have sales targets. They choose their words carefully which insinuates there is an issue requiring attention. They understand the demographic of their customers and that many dont really know a lot about cars. They prey on this and make money selling them parts they dont really need. A couple of easy examples. 1. They will tell you your brake pads and or discs are worn and stop there. They dont tell you how many mm is on a new item and what the current part is worn to. This way, the customer usually instructs them to attend to it. 2. Tyres - the service adviser told me that there was an issue with my front tyres that needed attention with a tone of real concern in his voice. When I called him he said that my front tyres only had 4.5mm left on them. Knowing that a new tyre has 7 - 8 mm I questioned why this was a problem. He told me that 4.5mm was "not very much". After many conversations with the service manager he never gave me any real answer why the adviser had suggested that my tyres at 4.5mm needed attention. Once I spoke with trading standards about the dealer trying to mis-sell items not required, all of a sudden the Dealership principal was on the phone offering sincere apology's. If I choose to use that dealer again, he said I was to call him directly to arrange any servicing etc.

Your bang on. They prey on most of their customers having no car knowledge at all. When I last visited they advise me there is no record of cambelt being changed. Now to a normal person this would cause concern but I advised him that it was changed 50k miles ago and according to you its every 6 years or 100k. He then said I just pass on what the technician says.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my brakes checked in August 2 and was informed that the front pads were 4mm worn and the rear pads had 4mm left (confusing). My car was serviced this week and mysteriously both front and rear pads now have 6mm left. I have previously been informed that I had a leak on the rear differential, an independent found no such leaks and despite being serviced subsequently by Lexus this fault was never mentioned again. They are all at it trying to make money off the poor motorist.