Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx Rear Brake Caliper .. Please Help!

The pins are really snug and the rubber boots take any remaining lateral movement away... It may be worth a look at the break pad anti-rattle springs, if they are non OEM consider changing them for OEM as they are frequently known to not be as affective ...

there are other similar sized pins & carriers out there, you could have been supplied the wrong ones check the part numbers are correct ... as Colin said earlier correct pin orientation & grease type/amount is essential .

a bit more background may help shed some light on your problem, how long have you had the car, when did it start, what parts were changed, were they OEM, in what order were they changed ?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Any luck with this issue?

I would suggest trying a thicker grease; I understand that brakes get hot when used but this should be minimal on the rear discs.

I would try red rubber grease, it's really thick and may just be the ticket you are looking for. A few people may question this as if your seals/boots are bad it is prone to harden, but as you are a dab hand at stripping it all down, you can check every six months and clean where neccessary as "preventative maintenance" which I think you would be happy to do if you could free yourself from the infernal rattle!

There is quite a good video on YouTube on how to replace your rear pads on a 400h and it covers greasing and fitting the slide pins,

It makes the pint that the two slide pins are not the same and must be fitted into the correct holes.

Worth a watch

Pics as promised, left is the side that had a stuck slider pin that I fixed a year ago using red rubber grease to lube (instead of lithium soap, pink grease that comes with the Lexus/Toyota kits).

I am unsure of what grease was used on the right set of pins, it looked like copper grease. A previous spanner monkey must have changed the pads before we got the car a couple of years ago!

The other two pics are trying to show inside the caliper mount's sliding pin tube.

You can see how red the red rubber grease is 1 year on and how corroded the non red rubber pins are!

post-52743-0-00501900-1429388947_thumb.j

post-52743-0-74565500-1429388966_thumb.j

post-52743-0-20836200-1429388981_thumb.j

The discs were really badly corroded and crusty from the rotor hub to the edges - I made a new electrolysis rig and have both discs and a caliper mount in there and will leave overnight.

The corrosion was so bad it had started making grooves on the outer edges of the pads and the seized pin on the near/passenger side caliper was causing the pads to drag and make a noise when braking (I thought it was a wear indicator but not!).

With the brakes in this state I wasn't happy to install the new pads to have them ruined so have stripped everything for a good old clean.

Oddly, when pushing the caliper piston back in (by hand) the seal started weeping so the whole caliper is off now and I'll refurb it before putting everything back together.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links